Question for Yamor:
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:48:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Question for Yamor:
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question for Yamor:  (Read 2374 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 14, 2009, 12:13:42 AM »

At the conclusion of a Passover seder in Jerusalem, would the people there still say, "Next year in Jerusalem?"
Yamor
Rookie
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 03:15:54 PM »

Yes they do. Sometimes the phrase has the word "hab'nuyah" added, which changes the meaning to "next year in a built Jerusalem", but no Orthodox Jews would say that.
The same applies to the beginning of the liturgy recited on Seder night, in the "Ha Lachma Anya", where a similar sentiment is said. Similarly, at the end of prayers on Yom Kippur when the phrase "next year in Jerusalem" is also said, and also in the Amidah recited 3 times a day, where it mentions returning to Jerusalem. There are plenty other examples, too.

The reason Jews still say it even in Jerusalem is because they don't mean just physically being in Jerusalem, but being there with the Messiah, and a built Temple.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 03:34:17 PM »

I must say, Mikado, I'm a little upset that you didn't go to me first on a Jewish question Sad  Although, I will say that I am thrilled Yamor could answer it, because I wasn't sure if my answer was correct (even though it turned out to be Smiley)
Yamor
Rookie
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 03:49:06 PM »

Sorry! I don't know why he chose to ask me either. Maybe because I've been quite active on this board recently.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 03:51:21 PM »

Sorry! I don't know why he chose to ask me either. Maybe because I've been quite active on this board recently.

It's no problem.  I'm thrilled to have two other posters (you and Purple State) who can answer questions about Judaism, in addition to me Smiley
Yamor
Rookie
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 04:06:14 PM »

While we're talking about Judaism, there's actually an extremely unusual Jewish tradition coming up in a couple of months, which happens only once every 28 years. It's a blessing on the sun recited on a 28 year cycle, and is when the sun reaches the equinox at the same time and day of the week as by creation. This is calculated using the rounded value of 365.25 days as the length of the year.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 04:17:32 PM »

While we're talking about Judaism, there's actually an extremely unusual Jewish tradition coming up in a couple of months, which happens only once every 28 years. It's a blessing on the sun recited on a 28 year cycle, and is when the sun reaches the equinox at the same time and day of the week as by creation. This is calculated using the rounded value of 365.25 days as the length of the year.

Awesome!  I'd never heard of this before.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 07:15:33 PM »

It was more because you're an Israeli.
Yamor
Rookie
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 08:37:28 PM »

I'm actually British. However, I've been studying in Israel for over a year now.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 08:38:37 PM »

In case it wasn't clear, guys, I was more joking than serious.  I just wanted to make that clear.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 11:12:28 PM »

I'm actually British. However, I've been studying in Israel for over a year now.

Shanah Bet or just chilling there? I have a number of friends in their first year there.

Yeah there is a facebook invite going around. It is quite an interesting event.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 01:41:13 PM »

Really?  I haven't gotten anything yet.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 01:56:56 PM »

That's officially the saddest thing I've read today.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 02:02:05 PM »

have you read your profile lately?  Wink
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 02:06:17 PM »

You must have forgotten to include your Bible quotes in that last post, jamfest.  Don't worry though, you can still edit it.  You're welcome!
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 02:12:43 PM »

You must have forgotten to include your Bible quotes in that last post, jamfest.  Don't worry though, you can still edit it.  You're welcome!

Have I ever told you that you and Dibble are the same person in my mind?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 02:15:21 PM »

Either way, it must be awfully cramped in there.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 02:20:50 PM »

no, it's just you and your conjoined twin, Dibble.  But, it could be worse for you, I could have confused you with Naso.   

Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 02:22:33 PM »

Someone is cranky today.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 02:23:07 PM »

no, it's just you and your conjoined twin, Dibble.  But, it could be worse for you, I could have confused you with Naso.   

So just to clarify, you have nothing in your mind except an image of two guys from Ohio and Georgia as conjoined twins.  Cool.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 02:24:19 PM »

I was referring to the 'facebook invite' part.  The equinox thing is yours to have a blast.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies