Most Expensive Homes in Your Neighborhood
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:30:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Most Expensive Homes in Your Neighborhood
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Most Expensive Homes in Your Neighborhood  (Read 16473 times)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2013, 10:55:26 PM »

In my neighborhood, the most recent one to be sold went for about $225,000.

This is what $225,000 gets you in Starkville, Mississippi.

4 bedrooms, 3,000 square feet on 1.3 acres, built 1998. 

What's interesting to think about is that Starkville is by far the most pricey real estate market in Mississippi.  A comparable home in Jackson, Southaven, Tupelo or the Coast would only be about $160,000 to $190,000.   In somewhere like an Atlanta or Houston suburb it would catch >$400,000.  I understand that real estate is all about location, location, location but believe me, Starkville isn't all that!   

Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2013, 12:50:42 AM »

What's interesting to think about is that Starkville is by far the most pricey real estate market in Mississippi.  A comparable home in Jackson, Southaven, Tupelo or the Coast would only be about $160,000 to $190,000.   In somewhere like an Atlanta or Houston suburb it would catch >$400,000.  I understand that real estate is all about location, location, location but believe me, Starkville isn't all that!   

You can't buy a car in Norway for that Tongue
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2013, 02:05:45 AM »
« Edited: January 03, 2013, 02:08:25 AM by memphis »

What's interesting to think about is that Starkville is by far the most pricey real estate market in Mississippi.  A comparable home in Jackson, Southaven, Tupelo or the Coast would only be about $160,000 to $190,000.   In somewhere like an Atlanta or Houston suburb it would catch >$400,000.  I understand that real estate is all about location, location, location but believe me, Starkville isn't all that!    

You can't buy a car in Norway for that Tongue
One of the benefits of living in a stigmatized state is that housing is very affordable. Less demand and whatnot. One thing I noticed on the drive between Memphis and New Orleans that I took over Christmas (both ways actually) was that the most substantial industry in the state is the giant Nissan factory in Canton. The Japanese must be unaware of or indifferent to the curse. Fair or not, I don't think many American big businesses would even consider having substantial operations in MS. Here's the most expensive house currently for sale in the MS burbs of my hometown. Street Name is Plantation Oaks Drive. Seriously? Did these folks not get the memo that the Wind Done Gone? $750k, but I wouldn't even consider living down there at any price. Way too much stigma for this American.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2013, 11:09:27 AM »

5 bedroom, 9 bathroom here in the Memorial section of Houston, bout two miles from me. Asking price is 15 million.
How many square feet is that palace?

I've got friends who live in Starkville. She's a teacher there.. not that you'd probably know them anyways.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2013, 11:12:31 AM »

I'm know I'm kicking up a hornet's nest here, but Oxford is also a much nicer town than Starkville. You can tell that the state's elite have been sending their children and their money there for a very long time. Even the frat houses are beautiful and very well maintained.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2013, 01:13:17 PM »
« Edited: January 03, 2013, 01:17:34 PM by Rockefeller »

I'm know I'm kicking up a hornet's nest here, but Oxford is also a much nicer town than Starkville. You can tell that the state's elite have been sending their children and their money there for a very long time. Even the frat houses are beautiful and very well maintained.

I will admit that this is true. 

Starkville has been getting marginally better over the past few years, though.  The growth of Mississippi State will continue to bring in new people, and thus new money, to the city.  While it may never have the same "Old South" charm as Oxford does, I think that Starkville (in 30-40 years) will be the Athens, GA of Mississippi.

Ole Miss is getting to be even more of a joke university that it already is.  Only 30 percent of Ole Miss law grads have jobs in law related fields when they graduate.  Ole Miss is on the decline.  At Mississippi State, we have the SEC's top-rated Engineering and Agriculture programs (although Texas A&M is now giving us some serious competition in those areas) and growing graduate programs in these areas.  I'll be joining the College of Ag and Life Sciences at MSU next semester, and I know that I'm in good hands Smiley
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2013, 05:31:03 PM »

My home is very similar except that there is no porch.

Wow, that's great!  That looks so much like so many rental houses my dad had over the years.
They're asking $85k for it. Could probably be had for $75-80k. Would probably rent for somewhere in the neighborhood of $800/month. Very stable, centrally located neighborhood in the "good" school district. K-5 school is 10 minute walk. 6-8 school is 5 minute walk. Backs up to much newer gated neighborhood of $200k houses. If you want it, come and get it.

That's a great deal!  Man, its like the early 1990s again - we picked up several cheap houses back then for like $20-50k.  Sold them off in the early-mid 2000s for about 75-120k after years of renting.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2013, 06:01:53 PM »

As any landlord knows too well, the trouble is finding good tenants who pay on time, don't cause any trouble, and don't destroy the property. How did your father tackle this challenge? Memphis also has high property taxes. You'd be paying about 2k/year on this property.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2013, 11:19:30 PM »

As any landlord knows too well, the trouble is finding good tenants who pay on time, don't cause any trouble, and don't destroy the property. How did your father tackle this challenge? Memphis also has high property taxes. You'd be paying about 2k/year on this property.

Lol   2k is high??
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2013, 11:47:21 PM »

Lol   2k is high??
On an $85,000 property? I'd say so.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies