Most Expensive Homes in Your Neighborhood
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:31:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Most Expensive Homes in Your Neighborhood
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Most Expensive Homes in Your Neighborhood  (Read 16475 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2012, 02:06:00 AM »

I'm a poor compared to you guys, so it wouldn't be much to show.

Yup. In my hometown, the most expensive houses in my neighbourhood are probably 250k-300k. Even at school in Toronto, I kind of live in a slummy place, so the houses wouldn't be too expensive for the big city.

Is that a TV in the bathroom? Hahaha. Rich people.

It looks like it's situated so that you can take a bath and watch TV, which sounds pretty fun to me.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2012, 02:12:25 AM »

Trolling again?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2012, 02:24:59 AM »

Nah, watching TV while in the bath sounds pretty relaxing and enjoyable.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2012, 02:26:04 AM »

Tvs are not status symbols anymore. Anybody can go to Wal-Mart and pick one up for a couple hundred bucks. Use hundred dollar bills for wallpaper if you want to impress people.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2012, 02:31:16 AM »

Punishable by guillotine?

Also, television is déclassé. What is there to watch besides PBS and MSNBC? (Yes, I only watch MSNBC. And Fareed Zakaria.)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2012, 06:10:43 AM »

Radio, sure, but TV? America, this is how empires fall.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2012, 07:48:12 AM »

It's Jacobean! Don't even dare going about making criticisms if you don't know architectural history!

God, modernists are the worst. Modernism is really just terrible to begin with, and it's not surprising that its devotees aren't any better.

I like older styles, nor a fan of modernism
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2012, 10:39:13 AM »

Punishable by guillotine?

Also, television is déclassé. What is there to watch besides PBS and MSNBC? (Yes, I only watch MSNBC. And Fareed Zakaria.)

I'm sure Lief would watch something wankable while he's in the tubby......to be sure.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2012, 11:05:21 AM »

It's Jacobean! Don't even dare going about making criticisms if you don't know architectural history!

God, modernists are the worst. Modernism is really just terrible to begin with, and it's not surprising that its devotees aren't any better.

Balderdash and codswallop.  For pretty much any field of "serious" art one would care to name- literature, painting, architecture, classical music, etc.- the classic Modernist period between roughly 1910 and 1950 was an absolute peak of creativity, craftsmanship, and inspiration.

I will grant that post-war modernism leaves much to be desired- brutalism and the twelve-tone method were simply hermeticism for hermeticism's sake- which is why we should be thankful to postmodernism, for breathing new life into many of these fields.  (The exception is painting, which remained vital and interesting in the '50s and '60s, but has slid in recent decades.  And of course more popular styles of music, which basically didn't even try to be artistic until after WWII, in some cases decades after.)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2012, 10:28:22 PM »
« Edited: January 01, 2013, 06:04:37 PM by Smash255 »

Saw my post from almost 4 years ago bumped

Anyway currently for houses on the market

Where I currently live

$939,000  taxes $24,918

from where  I grew up and lived when I started this thread

$2,400,000   taxes $38,150

one area I might move to

$2,749,888  taxes $13,409

another area thinking of moving to

$1,988,800  taxes $11,000

memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2013, 03:14:33 AM »

Balderdash and codswallop.  For pretty much any field of "serious" art one would care to name- literature, painting, architecture, classical music, etc.- the classic Modernist period between roughly 1910 and 1950 was an absolute peak of creativity, craftsmanship, and inspiration.

I will grant that post-war modernism leaves much to be desired- brutalism and the twelve-tone method were simply hermeticism for hermeticism's sake- which is why we should be thankful to postmodernism, for breathing new life into many of these fields.  (The exception is painting, which remained vital and interesting in the '50s and '60s, but has slid in recent decades.  And of course more popular styles of music, which basically didn't even try to be artistic until after WWII, in some cases decades after.)
This is your idea of vital and interesting?

And Smash, with the exception of the final home you posted, those are all atrocious, even by the standards of suburban foolery. It's like the architects got together and had some sort of sinister contest.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2013, 09:58:18 PM »

And Smash, with the exception of the final home you posted, those are all atrocious, even by the standards of suburban foolery. It's like the architects got together and had some sort of sinister contest.

First two are in Nassau, last two are in Queens.  For the 2nd one, it is in an area that was impacted quite a bit by Sandy, not sure if that property had any damage though.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2013, 11:26:14 PM »
« Edited: January 01, 2013, 11:30:41 PM by memphis »

Just for the heck of it. The most expensive home currently for sale in the city of Memphis. About 3 miles from me. The realty company marketing it describes it as "the height of understated sophistication" which I think is hysterical and deserves a spot in a deluge.

memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2013, 11:35:17 PM »
« Edited: January 01, 2013, 11:37:15 PM by memphis »

And I may as well post the cheapest home for sale in my neighborhood as well. Unsurprisingly, just a block and a half away. My home is very similar except that there is no porch. I have no idea how the richers tolerate us living so nearby Tongue

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2013, 11:50:56 PM »

Just for the heck of it. The most expensive home currently for sale in the city of Memphis. About 3 miles from me. The realty company marketing it describes it as "the height of understated sophistication" which I think is hysterical and deserves a spot in a deluge.

Eh, I don't think it's so bad. The materials look like very high quality. And it's not like those hideous homes that are just one giant mass, it's sprawling, which is very much in taste. It looks like the combined garage/keeper's house to a larger great house on some 2000-acre estate.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2013, 12:01:11 AM »

Eh, I don't think it's so bad. The materials look like very high quality. And it's not like those hideous homes that are just one giant mass, it's sprawling, which is very much in taste. It looks like the combined garage/keeper's house to a larger great house on some 2000-acre estate.
It's not ugly. It looks very well built. And it's in a beautiful wooded neighborhood right in the middle of town, surrounded by other $million+ properties. But it's not understated either. It's obviously for people who have a great deal of money and want the world to know. By definition a 13,000 sq ft home is not understated.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2013, 12:25:44 AM »

Typical west coast rambler being built for $240k(that's actually in my neighborhood). If you drive over a mile you might find something more expensive, otherwise it's just old construction for Hanford.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2013, 11:50:14 AM »
« Edited: January 02, 2013, 11:52:32 AM by traininthedistance »

Rothko's not my absolute favorite (my vote actually goes to Sol LeWitt as the postwar artist with the most consistently interesting ideas), but I do kinda like his stuff.  There's a cool elegance to it.

Obviously, if you can't stand abstraction you'll have a hard time, Francis Bacon notwithstanding.  But I see no reason why painting must be figurative.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2013, 02:31:59 PM »

Rothko's not my absolute favorite (my vote actually goes to Sol LeWitt as the postwar artist with the most consistently interesting ideas), but I do kinda like his stuff.  There's a cool elegance to it.

Obviously, if you can't stand abstraction you'll have a hard time, Francis Bacon notwithstanding.  But I see no reason why painting must be figurative.

Art is certainly not my area of expertise. I took the art history survey class in college just to meet the fine arts requirement. And that's about the breadth and depth of my knowledge. So maybe I'm missing something vital. Maybe the simplicity of it works for some people in the same way I like the works of Dr Seuss or Shel Silverstein. But, to my eye, there is something very lacking in the paintings of the postwar period. I'm very unimpressed. And it's not just because of Rothko's lack of representation. The following doesn't impress me much either. And it's a pretty good likeness

In contrast, I have a bit of an erection for cubism. There's just so much more je ne sais quoi

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2013, 02:36:21 PM »

The thing with Rothko is that it doesn't translate at all to a small jpg on your computer screen. I'm hardly his biggest fan, but you really need to see his work up close in a museum to appreciate it.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2013, 03:32:27 PM »

Art is certainly not my area of expertise. I took the art history survey class in college just to meet the fine arts requirement. And that's about the breadth and depth of my knowledge. So maybe I'm missing something vital. Maybe the simplicity of it works for some people in the same way I like the works of Dr Seuss or Shel Silverstein. But, to my eye, there is something very lacking in the paintings of the postwar period. I'm very unimpressed. And it's not just because of Rothko's lack of representation. The following doesn't impress me much either. And it's a pretty good likeness

In contrast, I have a bit of an erection for cubism. There's just so much more je ne sais quoi

Yeah, I actually really don't like Warhol at all- I'm more into minimalists and abstract expressionism.  And as Lief said, a lot of the large minimalist stuff loses its power on a tiny computer screen, it really is better in person.  (BTW, I did take an architecture class once, but when it comes to painting all my knowledge is extracurricular.)

And even though I do like that stuff, I'll happily agree the early 20th century was still better.  I'm a big fan of Delaunay in particular:

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2013, 03:46:50 PM »

My home is very similar except that there is no porch.

Wow, that's great!  That looks so much like so many rental houses my dad had over the years.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2013, 04:23:14 PM »

My home is very similar except that there is no porch.

Wow, that's great!  That looks so much like so many rental houses my dad had over the years.
They're asking $85k for it. Could probably be had for $75-80k. Would probably rent for somewhere in the neighborhood of $800/month. Very stable, centrally located neighborhood in the "good" school district. K-5 school is 10 minute walk. 6-8 school is 5 minute walk. Backs up to much newer gated neighborhood of $200k houses. If you want it, come and get it.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2013, 07:26:32 PM »

5 bedroom, 9 bathroom here in the Memorial section of Houston, bout two miles from me. Asking price is 15 million.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2013, 10:19:35 PM »

5 bedroom, 9 bathroom here in the Memorial section of Houston, bout two miles from me. Asking price is 15 million.
How many square feet is that palace?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies