British Jobs for Any Worker
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:46:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  British Jobs for Any Worker
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: British Jobs for Any Worker  (Read 2264 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 31, 2009, 02:16:55 PM »

When Gordon Brown gave that speech in 2007, I said how uncomfortable it was and how misjudged it was to use those words; British Jobs For British Workers.

This week they have came back to haunt us. Regardless of the rights and wrongs of the work stoppage at refineries, with a recession in full swing we have to expect economic migration to work. One of my new colleagues has moved from Ireland recently. Long term? Who knows. But he is 'not British' but he is a worker and a damned good one at that. Same with the Poles and Lithuanians and Czechs and countless thousands who work here.

A dangerous precedent has been set and we need to be careful. Language is immensely powerful. Because when push comes to shove, if our recession is going to be the deepest and longest lasting in the industrialised world some of us may have to look outside our borders for work.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 02:27:41 PM »

Of course Americans aren't allowed to work in India. The system is designed to screw the American worker. 
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 02:39:53 PM »

As I've said already, this country is dead.

Only way to get out of this, is to revive our industry and start manufacturing again instead of relying on services which is a terrible way of making money.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 03:37:14 PM »

They would probably have used that slogan, or one very like it, even if it hadn't slipped into that speech. And while there are ugly undertones to some of what's gone on, the concerns are genuine and shouldn't be dismissed as being just an example of xenophobia or racism (tempted to go so far as to argue that simply labelling what's gone on as "racist" is playing into the hands of the paid-up racists who are trying, predictably, to jump onto the bandwagon). The conduct of Total has been disgraceful; Northern Lindsey had serious problems with unemployment even before the fall out from the collapse of the financial system (as it was anyway) hit the world of ordinary people.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 03:45:51 PM »

This is your biggest problem:

A face only a mother could really love.

afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 04:01:36 PM »

And while there are ugly undertones to some of what's gone on, the concerns are genuine and shouldn't be dismissed as being just an example of xenophobia or racism

Of course the concerns are genuine, if the concern is over job security. These are echoed nationwide. However there is a very fine line. Foreign workers have the same problems as British workers and will look eslewhere to find work to support their families. The foreign workers are just as skilled. We operate within the EU with the free movement of goods and labour and that is unavoidable.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 04:41:39 PM »

He's married with a fairly young kid, you know.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 07:00:42 PM »

He's married with a fairly young kid, you know.

Two even. I'm sure he's a good man, and we know he's a tough one, but he's smart to a neurotic point, and he's lost the country, without a doubt.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 07:20:50 PM »

Two even. I'm sure he's a good man, and we know he's a tough one, but he's smart to a neurotic point, and he's lost the country, without a doubt.

He is a good author and adept historian. His reputation as an economist is...debatable (more so recently that I ever thought it would be) As PM he is unfortunately struggling to be average. If he is the best Labour has, then Labour is in trouble.
Jens
Angola

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 07:51:13 AM »

Only way to get out of this, is to revive our industry and start manufacturing again instead of relying on services which is a terrible way of making money.
You forgot that you also need to establish some colonies in Africa and India, otherwise the other great powers like Brandenburg and Portugal gets there before you.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 08:31:03 AM »

When Gordon Brown gave that speech in 2007, I said how uncomfortable it was and how misjudged it was to use those words; British Jobs For British Workers.

This week they have came back to haunt us. Regardless of the rights and wrongs of the work stoppage at refineries, with a recession in full swing we have to expect economic migration to work. One of my new colleagues has moved from Ireland recently. Long term? Who knows. But he is 'not British' but he is a worker and a damned good one at that. Same with the Poles and Lithuanians and Czechs and countless thousands who work here.

A dangerous precedent has been set and we need to be careful. Language is immensely powerful. Because when push comes to shove, if our recession is going to be the deepest and longest lasting in the industrialised world some of us may have to look outside our borders for work.

At noon, I was listening the radio while eating, and they spoke about that. I was really surprised to hear that things, I heard statements that I thought reserved to Italia, I don't remember who spoke exactly, sounds it was an extract of a debate, but journalist said that a xenophobic feeling was spreading throught workers. In the end of the reportage the journalist also said that unions controlled less and less their base, a base with more and more radical speeches.

Interestingly, just after, at the radio, they spoke about China. What to say? That there more and more workers were protested against the crisis, because they no more find some jobs, and this in big proportions, journalist added that Chinese govt took that really at serious, and had put his army in alert.

You wanna take back industries in UK? OK, so you remove them from China, so less and less work in China, so more and more political problems there. And a China with political problems is a big piece of cake.

Sounds the globalization boat is really swinging...

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 08:54:53 AM »

Wouldn't put much in media reports. Most have been alarmist and stupid and have only made things worse.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 09:35:08 AM »

From the BBC:

Hundreds of workers are continuing unofficial strike action over the use of foreign contractors, as talks resumed to try to resolve the dispute.

Protesters gathered outside Lindsey Oil Refinery - where the wave of strikes originated last week - saying they were awaiting the outcome of the Acas talks.

Some 600 workers walked out of Langage power station near Plymouth on Tuesday in support of the wildcat strikes.

Workers in Cheshire, North Yorkshire and Essex have also continued striking.

Contractors at Longannet power station in Fife voted to continue their support and will meet again on Friday.

The CBI has backed the company at the centre of the dispute against union claims that it has discriminated against British workers.

Meanwhile, a Labour MP has put down a Commons early day motion (EDM) "deploring" the use of foreign workers at the Lindsey refinery, which is owned by Total.

The motion from John Mann - MP for Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire - congratulated unions for "exposing this exploitation and the absence of equal opportunities to apply for all jobs".

The MP also said upcoming large capital projects - such as new power stations - should be built by "companies employing primarily British labour on decent pay and conditions".

He called on the mediator to also investigate a contract at the new Staythorpe power station in Newark, Nottinghamshire.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 09:40:13 AM »

Talking of the BBC, an allegation has been made that they've been... um... a little dishonest in their TV news reporting:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.bickerstafferecord.org.uk/?p=461
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 09:52:57 AM »

Interesting, really.

Well, concerning that particular case, I don't know. I can just report what I heard from a French journalist of France Inter, radio which uses to be serious, and who spoke about a xenophobic feeling growing through workers.

Then, and if so, do that only grow because of that stupid cut? After all, media are part of the society, and, if such thing could have passed in news, even if dishonnest, maybe it's because there's already a climate which make that a journalist do such a cut and that it passes in news.

Media may make the things worst than they are in facts, but no matter who make the situation bad if in the end it effectively turns bad. That's a stoical point of view.

All of that said, I don't know the psychological climate in Britain. I can just say that xenophobic reactions seems to be classical by times of economical crisis, in any country.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 03:51:16 PM »

Interestingly, it seems that all the Polish workers at the Langage power station (near Plymouth) joined in the walk-out.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 05:01:07 PM »

A deal has apparently been reached to end the strikes. British Workers will get 100 out of the 198 disputed jobs.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies