What will replace Christianity?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 11:49:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  What will replace Christianity?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: What will replace Christianity?  (Read 26887 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2009, 12:25:53 PM »

Are you trying to say wikipedia is not always 100% accurate sir?  I challenge you to a dual.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2009, 02:42:34 PM »

Are you trying to say wikipedia is not always 100% accurate sir?  I challenge you to a dual.

Grin

To sum up it was a bit short to only have "Christians" with this map. As I said, France might stay high by baptisms but when it comes to declare catholicism, or to practice it, we're at about 50% and 20%, and not at all 80-90%. So, if one is bad, what to think about others. Plus, as someone said before, census is something very different according to countries.

In fact, because all of this, we can't really know what to think about that map, I tend to think it would reflect the traditional establishment of Christianity in the world but that would be an only personal feeling toward this, and anyway that's not that "census".

Well, that said, esthetically that's not unpleasant...
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #102 on: May 04, 2009, 08:49:07 PM »

Anyone else still laughing at constine's reply?

There's nothing funny about it.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2009, 08:51:19 PM »

It made the Comedy Goldmine at the time.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #104 on: May 04, 2009, 08:57:58 PM »

You putting it in doesn't make it funny.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #105 on: May 05, 2009, 01:08:21 AM »

It wasn't me who did it.

The question of the thread is, "What will replace Christianity?"

tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #106 on: May 05, 2009, 08:49:19 AM »

I must say I smile...

But who knows...

Oh no I smile again...

OK, who knows...
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #107 on: May 17, 2009, 08:17:55 PM »

I must admit -- Judaism is one of the most benign of religions. Except for the prohibitions on pork and shellfish it seems to make a lot of sense -- far more than the "Holy Ghost" in Christianity.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #108 on: May 17, 2009, 11:35:12 PM »

I must admit -- Judaism is one of the most benign of religions. Except for the prohibitions on pork and shellfish it seems to make a lot of sense -- far more than the "Holy Ghost" in Christianity.

Actual Judaism hardly is. Not to mention its based around the belief a certain ethnic tribe are God's chosen people and can do whatever they want because it's always God's will (please note: benconstine has actually used this argument when discussing actual foreign policy.)

Obviously that's not how Judaism is largely practiced today, especially not in the US, but Reform Judaism is an insanely watered-down version of it. Those Haredi are hardly benign. If you limit your statement to just Reform Judaism it makes sense, but at its fundamentals it's no more tolerant than fundamentalist Christianity or Islam.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #109 on: July 14, 2010, 11:10:54 PM »

No idea -but it will clearly be a faith that is heavily influenced by whatever came before it like the religions that currently exist were shaped by the world in which they first formed.  So we could see a curious mixture of present-day great religions like Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, and Hinduism, as well as science (post-modern version of Neo-Platonism).
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #110 on: July 14, 2010, 11:29:55 PM »

Jesus Christ himself will replace Christianity.  He is coming very soon.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #111 on: July 15, 2010, 01:28:39 AM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Define "very soon".  I remember hearing "He's coming, very soon" back in the 70s.  They told me the end times would begin with lots of wars and natural disastors and they would list a bunch of wars and natural disastors that were occuring at the time and say "see? He's coming!".  Same thing in the 80s.  When I stopped going to church in the early 90s they were still saying the exact same things.  I'm pretty sure it goes back long before the 70s too.

What the hell does "very soon" mean?
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #112 on: July 15, 2010, 01:50:00 AM »

Lulz @ ben.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #113 on: July 15, 2010, 02:25:28 AM »

Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #114 on: July 15, 2010, 02:36:33 AM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No that's a misinterpretation of Revelation. We're supposed to make heaven on earth happen now by making the world a better place. Jesus coming back can simply mean what he preached while on earth. Let's stop trying to "get into" heaven and start making it happen with the golden rule.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #115 on: July 15, 2010, 02:40:09 AM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Define "very soon".  I remember hearing "He's coming, very soon" back in the 70s.  They told me the end times would begin with lots of wars and natural disastors and they would list a bunch of wars and natural disastors that were occuring at the time and say "see? He's coming!".  Same thing in the 80s.  When I stopped going to church in the early 90s they were still saying the exact same things.  I'm pretty sure it goes back long before the 70s too.

Right and did you know that Revelation is actually referring to things that happened up to 30 years before it was written by John of Patmos in 95? When he refers to the 4 beasts, he's actually referring to the 4 Roman emperors of 68 who were all very anit-Christian. Besides, the anti-Christ in Revelation is actually Nero whose full name has 6 letters in each of his names. If you look at the imagery describing the different things that would come to earth, you'll find that they represent different kingdoms of the first century. The same can be said for the book of Daniel.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #116 on: July 15, 2010, 05:10:16 PM »

I find it hilarious that everyone here thinks that the world is headed to a milquetoast spiritualism or a cosmopolitanism of religions.  All of the data indicates that people are moving towards "hotter" religions, for example evangelical Christianity and fundamentalist Islam.

I would say there is a polarity which is pushing the world in both directions (Indeed, I think the success of the former in part explains the rise of the latter).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If this is man's future then it is a bleak one, indeed.  Such a feeble morality would be swiftly obliterated by the West's Nietzschean impulses.  I would be grateful to merely see some shred of civilization emerge from the smoldering ruins afterwards.

Make no mistake, however, I don't believe the last chapter on human redemption has been written; we may yet have ahead of us one more great issue of Christianity, perhaps something like the one Dostoevsky always wanted to create.

[/quote]

Indeed. But the future may still be pancake-syrup 'spirtualism' but that really it can't exist alone. Perhaps here it is wrong to spoke of the future (perhaps 'futures'? or 'the future' of what? Society? What's that?).
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #117 on: July 20, 2010, 01:27:15 PM »

I find it hilarious that everyone here thinks that the world is headed to a milquetoast spiritualism or a cosmopolitanism of religions.  All of the data indicates that people are moving towards "hotter" religions, for example evangelical Christianity and fundamentalist Islam. 

echoing Gully's polarity, isn't there a first world / third world divide here?
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #118 on: July 20, 2010, 03:56:57 PM »

Nah, Evangelicals are taking over in the non-traditionally Muslim Africa, they are very present in Latin America as well, and a huge presence in China too, nevertheless their interdiction.

Also, of course I agree with the huge potential and probability for Evangelical Christianity and its Islamic equivalent to hugely grow in the close future. But, in case they don't blast the world in a crazy apocalypse mood, I think something would come after, it's a matter of decades imo.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #119 on: July 20, 2010, 05:55:39 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Since the destruction of the Temple in 70AD, there have been only 3 main prophesies left to be fulfilled before the Second Coming:

1)   Reformation of nation of Israel (see Ezekiel ch 36 and 37.  Ezekiel is a chronology of the nation of Israel, past through future, and the reformation of the nation in its biblical homeland is followed in the chronology by Armageddon.  And physical nation of Israel is required for a literal interpretation of NT endtime passages)
2)   churches falling away from Christ’s teachings
3)   Appearance of Antichrist and his proclamation to the world that he is god
#1 happened in 1948.  #2 is occurring now (just look how many churches are openly renouncing the teachings of the NT).  So, #3 is about all that is left, but that requires the Temple to be rebuilt in Jerusalem.

I am not a pre-tribber, I do NOT think Christ could come back at any time, rather I believe the church will have to endure persecution from the Antichrist. (I am not willing to wager my salvation on his return not being imminent, so I need to always be ready because even if his return is not imminent, I could die today in a car crash…but I am 99% certain the temple in Jerusalem has to be rebuilt before the Antichrist makes himself known.)

The battle over the promised land is consuming more and more nations.  It’s why we were attacked on Sept11th (bin Laden stated that reason point blank), and since many nations in Europe will become majority Muslim nation in the next 50 years, I really can’t see, from the pace of the world events, the 2nd Coming not taking place this century.  It might be 2019 or 2053 (just picking random years), but it is getting very close!

---

As to you having always heard the prophecy of his return…

2pet 2
You must be logged in to read this quote.

So, the 2nd Coming hasn’t take place yet because God is patient, not because God is slow.  He is patient with you in hope that you might turn towards him.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #120 on: July 20, 2010, 06:37:28 PM »

No. It's far more complicated than that and I actually how much sociology really has to do with it (well, it obviously plays a role but I think there is a tendency to overplay such factors in these things especially if we are talking about adults) rather than psychology.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #121 on: July 20, 2010, 06:45:49 PM »

Einzige.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #122 on: July 20, 2010, 09:54:36 PM »

jmfcst, do you think the apocalypse will mean the end of the spacetime universe or merely a seismic shift in human consciousness?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #123 on: July 20, 2010, 11:15:36 PM »

All that the end of time in Revelation means is a new time where we create heaven on earth. Christians take it literally and do not know that really Revelation was mostly written in past tense to refer to things that already happened. It is highly metaphorical and in code. Let's start making heaven happen on earth whether Christian or not.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #124 on: July 21, 2010, 11:44:58 AM »

jmfcst, do you think the apocalypse will mean the end of the spacetime universe or merely a seismic shift in human consciousness?

well, I believe in the 1000 year reign of Christ after the 2nd Coming, so I still think the earth has another 1000 years before it will be recreated (New Heaven, New Earth).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies