Gregg pulls out of nomination - NOT ENOUGH TAX CUTS
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 06:15:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gregg pulls out of nomination - NOT ENOUGH TAX CUTS
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: Gregg pulls out of nomination - NOT ENOUGH TAX CUTS  (Read 15040 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2009, 10:55:34 PM »

What if Lynch appointed a Republican placeholder or easily-defeatable pipsqueak as part of the deal?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2009, 10:58:16 PM »

What if Lynch appointed a Republican placeholder or easily-defeatable pipsqueak as part of the deal?

Well, I obviously wouldn't be happy with the latter but the former would be fine. Then we can have Sununu run again in 2010.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2009, 11:04:17 PM »

Sununu again? You're dreaming.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2009, 11:56:59 PM »

I was pretty shocked to read this today. I just figured Gregg was saying nice things about Obama in the papers because he's up for re-election 2010!

That said, I'd be pretty surprised if Gregg accepted the job (if he indeed is offered). But I have had a feeling for awhile that he has no intention to run for re-election in 2010, so this would be a good way to bow out of the Senate and get something in return.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2009, 11:58:55 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2009, 12:10:16 AM by TheresNoMoney »

He has always been more moderate than the defeated Sununu was, so that might have something to do with it. 

I always considered Sununu to be more of a right-wing ideologue than Gregg, but Gregg to be more partisan than Sununu.

It has been really strange to hear Gregg praising a Democrat (Obama)  in the papers. I don't know if I can ever remember him doing that before.  Read the comments section on the online Union Leader, the NH wingnuts have been going crazy over Gregg the past few days.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2009, 12:33:00 AM »

I have to agree that getting a filibuster-proof majority really isn't that big of a deal.  Gregg most of the time would vote like a Democrat anyway.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2009, 12:39:01 AM »

This is a great way to solve several problems for Obama:

#1. It make the House Republicans look even worse on the bipartisanship issue.  Coming on the heels of the House GOP's unanimous opposition to the stimulus package, this makes the GOP look like a bunch of sore losers who care more about scoring political points than solving problems.

#2. It makes bipartisanship much easier in the Senate, which is where its actually important.  I'm sure Senate Republicans will be overjoyed to confirm a fellow Republican Senator to the cabinet after seeing two Democratic Senators sail through.  By buttering up Senate Republicans now it will make it much easier for Obama to sway them to his side down the road.

#3. On a related note, by replacing one of his embattled original cabinet picks with a Republican it dispels some of the controversy surrounding the cabinet choices and shifts the focus back to Obama's willingness to listen to all ideas.  There has been a lot of negative coverage lately concerning some of Obama's choices and this shifts the tone of the cabinet confirmations back in Obama's favor.

#4. Of course this also gives the Democrats another Senate vote and probably a fairly liberal one at that.  Gregg was already voting pretty consistently with Obama but any replacement Democrat is going to vote with him even more.

Looking at it that way, this is a great pick.  Not to mention the fact that Gregg has been the chair/ranking member of the Senate Budget Committee for the past 4 years and is highly qualified for the position.  Plus, I think I may have just convinced myself that Gregg is actually a better pick than Richardson.  Shocked
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2009, 12:49:38 AM »

Bob Smith is looking for a comeback. (See the Florida 2010 thread.)

He lives in Florida now (obviously) and could never be elected in New Hampshire any more.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2009, 01:42:44 AM »

Uh, why?

Sununu is young, didn't get totally demolished in a very bad year and could be a very strong candidate in a midterm election year. If he's interested, he'd obviously have a good shot (especially against a lower tier candidate like Hodes).
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2009, 02:08:45 AM »

I don't know if Sununu has it in him, but what is the GOP bench like?  Our favorite Lebanese ex-Senator born in Cuba from New Hampshire would certainly be a favorite in the primary, although I disagree with Philly about his strength in the general so soon after so many voters voted not-him yet voted yes-his-opponent.

We'll see.

Lunar doesn't expect Gregg to take the job, I don't think Gregg wants to give the finger to Cornyn...unless he does.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2009, 02:16:22 AM »

Obviously I support this brilliant idea.

I also support creating five or six new Cabinet departments that Republican Senators can be appointed to.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2009, 02:43:01 AM »

Obviously I support this brilliant idea.

I also support creating five or six new Cabinet departments that Republican Senators can be appointed to.

Specter, Grassley, Collins, etc. can be appointed to Obama's inner council of "cool people" consulted annually
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2009, 09:07:19 AM »

I just saw this on Politics1. What a very clever move by Obama. I hope to God that Gregg doesn't take it. As expected, the Republicans are giving him hell about this.

I wonder if McConnell will pressure him to support a filibuster of his own nomination.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2009, 09:08:04 AM »

Bob Smith is looking for a comeback. (See the Florida 2010 thread.)

He lives in Florida now (obviously) and could never be elected in New Hampshire any more.

Oh sure but we should not turn up our noses at the comedy value.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2009, 09:09:20 AM »

I just saw this on Politics1. What a very clever move by Obama. I hope to God that Gregg doesn't take it. As expected, the Republicans are giving him hell about this.

I wonder if McConnell will pressure him to support a filibuster of his own nomination.

LOL
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2009, 09:34:09 AM »

Uh, why?

Sununu is young, didn't get totally demolished in a very bad year and could be a very strong candidate in a midterm election year. If he's interested, he'd obviously have a good shot (especially against a lower tier candidate like Hodes).
Uh, joke's on you? That same low tier candidate Hodes has the same job that Sununu, who you're such a fan of, had before he was elected to the Senate. Oh, and that Lynch guy who always gets over 75%, he was just a business man. Hardly known state-wide. How low tier. I bet you don't know any potential candidates other than "oh they just won their elections in bad years for Republicans!" and "New Hampshire is really the most conservative New England state!"

Obama won every county in New Hampshire, and Shaheen came close, losing some by 1-2%. Were they the most top tier candidates for the state ever?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2009, 09:43:19 AM »

Outside of Lynch, Shaheen, and Gregg, Paul Hodes and Carol Shea-Porter are the two most well-known politicians in the state of NH. Based on that fact, either Hodes or CSP would be a top-tier candidate.

NH is a unique state in that we don't have an elected Attorney General, Secretary of State, or Lietenant Governor. Governor and U.S. Senate are the only statewide elected officials in whole state of New Hampshire.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2009, 09:54:22 AM »

So, would Lynch appoint a viable Democrat to the seat, or would he take this opportunity to be post-partisan and appoint either a placeholder or a Republican? How weak are his ties to the state party, anyway?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2009, 10:07:58 AM »

So, would Lynch appoint a viable Democrat to the seat, or would he take this opportunity to be post-partisan and appoint either a placeholder or a Republican?

I have no idea what Lynch would do, he's hard to read. I would hope he would at least appoint a Democrat (I think he probably would).
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2009, 10:30:38 AM »

What if there's a deal to appoint a placeholder Republican between Obama/Lynch/Gregg? Aside from state legislators, I dunno who else can be picked though. Maybe a school superintendent...?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2009, 11:39:21 AM »

Gregg is refusing to answer questions on the subject.

I think he's willing to do it, but he wants his name floated as a weather balloon first so he can gauge the potential outrage.

I'm thinking that Lynch might appoint an independent placeholder but we'll see.  He's probably thinking about it.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2009, 11:41:40 AM »

I'm thinking that Lynch might appoint an independent placeholder but we'll see.  He's probably thinking about it.

I wouldn't be surprised if he picked an old, liberal Republican who wouldn't run again in 2010. PoliticalWire is speculating that it might be Walter Peterson, an 86-year old former Republican Governor who's been a big supporter of Lynch since he originally ran in 2004.

Then the Dems would battle it out to see who would be the nominee in 2010. 
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2009, 12:10:06 PM »

Ah, that would make sense.  Someone who would vote with the Democrats but is nominally not the 60th would maintain the best goodwill.

btw this is his office's statement today (Gregg's):
You must be logged in to read this quote.

lol honored
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2009, 02:05:52 PM »

lol it sounds like a done deal.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2009, 02:57:09 PM »

The Politico says Snowe was asked first, but declined, citing a source close to Snowe.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies