Should we raise the federal tax on gasoline?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:27:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should we raise the federal tax on gasoline?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: Should we raise the federal tax on gasoline?  (Read 1534 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 29, 2009, 06:49:06 AM »

I'm not a big fan of taxes...and it's something I personally wouldn't like that much...but I do think it would have an overall positive effect.

I'd say raise it by somewhere around $0.50/gallon. And yes, I know most people in the U.S. would find this proposal quite drastic Wink
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 07:02:02 AM »

I've always wondered why people that honestly fear global warming (or whatever environmental dire straights we'll be in next year) would bitch about high gas prices.  If part of the problem is too much pollution from cars then wouldn't it be best to drive less?  Or encourage, through the market, people to buy more efficient vehicles?  One easy way to do that would be an increased gas tax.

I'm not saying I'm for it (or against it for that matter), but if ones goal is fewer miles driven, then it's a sensible position to take.  On the other hand, if you care about the enviroment and bitch about high gas prices, you're an asshole.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 07:07:16 AM »

I've always wondered why people that honestly fear global warming (or whatever environmental dire straights we'll be in next year) would bitch about high gas prices.  If part of the problem is too much pollution from cars then wouldn't it be best to drive less?  Or encourage, through the market, people to buy more efficient vehicles?  One easy way to do that would be an increased gas tax.

I'm not saying I'm for it (or against it for that matter), but if ones goal is fewer miles driven, then it's a sensible position to take.  On the other hand, if you care about the enviroment and bitch about high gas prices, you're an asshole.

Yes, absolutely.

I'm basically scared that people will start to buy SUVs and pick-ups because of low gas prices. The general public has a very short memory, I'm afraid.

Not to mention it would provide a short-term budget boost...which would really be needed at this time.

The long-term goal would, of course, be to discourage excessive gasoline usage, by creating incentives to buy smaller and more efficient cars, and it would certainly help public transportation networks and other means of transportation, especially rail.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 07:24:43 AM »

Rail is probably a good solution, but even it's not perfect.  HUGE initial costs and can be difficult to "upgrade" to newer technologies.  The private auto on the other hand is constantly evolving because it's replaced every few years or a decade at most thus easier to incorporate future tech advances.  Rail will help, but I don't think it's the answer for everybody.

where I got these crazy ideas

(I'm much more rail friendly than that guy though.  He does make some interesting points.)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 08:56:51 AM »

not right now because that would spell further economic disaster.  no politician is ever going to do this because it would mean they don't get re-elected.  they would much prefer to see the planet erupt in a ball of fire - not that that is necessarily the dichotomy.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 11:32:25 AM »

Every American should demand a V-8 engine, along with a spacious Ranch House.  Christ people, do any of you realize how much the standard of living has fallen since the early 1970s?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 11:59:09 AM »

Every American should demand a V-8 engine, along with a spacious Ranch House.  Christ people, do any of you realize how much the standard of living has fallen since the early 1970s?

Well, not everyone prefers those things. I like small, good handling, fuel efficient, easy to park and easy to drive cars and smaller houses that are easier to clean, leave more room for a yard, and are less expensive to heat and cool.

That's not to say that I don't agree with you about the standard of living having fallen, or of a preference for cars made by unionized assembly workers in the USA.

As for the question at hand, I would prefer that the gas tax be a percentage of the price of gas rather than a flat number of cents per gallon, and I would also even more prefer that roads and bridges be funded by income taxes instead of gas taxes. However, assuming neither of those will come to fruition, I absolutely support a higher gas tax, both to discourage consumption and also to fund needed infrastructure improvements which will improve the economy.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 12:03:39 PM »

I do agree that higher gas taxes would be good for the reasons you cite, though it's also worth considering that until affordable and reasonable alternatives are created such as faster and more widely available public transportation (both for short and long distance travel) and more affordable hybrids/electric cars, and thus high gas prices hurt the poor and middle class far more than they do the wealthy, and so can be opposed for that reason.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 12:34:10 PM »

Because of the effect on the overall economy. High gas prices drive the cost of everything up due to transportation costs. Furthermore while I strongly support decreasing the number of miles driven simply jacking up the gax tax would be basically putting the carriage before the horse unless we've also already greatly boosted public transportation. Otherwise it'll do nothing but f**k the working poor and lower middle class, as $4/gallon gas did. The solution to this is not as simple as "Jack up gas prices, problem solved" as you seem to be saying.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 01:06:27 PM »

Well, not everyone prefers those things. I like small, good handling, fuel efficient, easy to park and easy to drive cars...

I once had one of these:

Fantastic little car - unkillable - with a gutsy, smooth little inline six.

Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 01:28:06 PM »

I can truly admit being indifferent to gasoline prices, but raising during a recession is unwise.

Rail travel is unrealistic (even if the optimal form of travel for distances of about 200 mi or so), since you have issues of (1) fuel -- trains burn diesel, which is even more expensive than gasoline. Even you replaced those with the electric trains, where will trains that use electricity from overhead lines get the spare power? (2) right of way issues and the NIMBY madness that inspires (3) the tracks themselves -- US rails haven't been improved on since the 1960s, and eliminating grade crossings with over- or underpasses is slow, slow slow.

"Light" rail is just a boondoggle.

But the major reason that rail travel will fail is that rails are a form of public transportation. Americans despise public transportation (I've read something like nearly 4 in 5 Americans have never ridden public transportation once in their lives), mostly on the grounds that it brings them too close to other members of the public.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 01:48:54 PM »

Well, not everyone prefers those things. I like small, good handling, fuel efficient, easy to park and easy to drive cars and smaller houses that are easier to clean, leave more room for a yard, and are less expensive to heat and cool.

That's not to say that I don't agree with you about the standard of living having fallen, or of a preference for cars made by unionized assembly workers in the USA.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 01:49:39 PM »

Anyway, I'm going to vote "No" at this present point in time. People are hurting enough, we don't need to be imposing more taxes on what for many  is a basic necessity.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 01:54:14 PM »

...Americans despise public transportation (I've read something like nearly 4 in 5 Americans have never ridden public transportation once in their lives), mostly on the grounds that it brings them too close to other members of the public.

These are reasonable grounds, given what has been done to many segments of the American public...  I would not ride on public transportation in the US, other than an aeroplane.  Of course I have ridden upon public conveyances in every other part of the world I have visited and found it perfectly acceptable, comfortable, and pleasant, but those are places with well functioning cultures...
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 01:58:38 PM »

But the major reason that rail travel will fail is that rails are a form of public transportation. Americans despise public transportation (I've read something like nearly 4 in 5 Americans have never ridden public transportation once in their lives), mostly on the grounds that it brings them too close to other members of the public.
I think a lot of it is cultural, but availability has to play a part too. A lot of people live in areas where there is essentially no way to travel other than by car. I can barely name any of the bus stops in the town I spent all my high school years, and that has <30,000 people in it. Unless you're either a) in College or b) In the cities chances are carpooling is the closest you're going to get to 'public transportation.'
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 02:34:45 PM »

Why not set the gas tax to be a percent and not a flat number? I'm thinking 100% federal plus another 100% state.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 03:08:47 PM »

Yes, once the economy is in full recovery.
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2009, 06:21:29 PM »

Not now, obviously... so I voted no.

Maybe later... maybe.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar