Copyright law help
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:39:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Copyright law help
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Copyright law help  (Read 1457 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 26, 2009, 12:44:56 PM »

I want to show An American Carol my college campus for my College Republcan group, but I tried contacting the distributing company (it's a small company) and they have not responded.  So far, I've called once and e-mailed 2 people.

Can I just go ahead and show the movie?
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 12:58:51 PM »

Yes.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 01:37:20 PM »

As long as you're not giving away/selling burned copies of it or having people pay to see it, you can go ahead and play it Smiley

Rin-chan
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 02:48:00 PM »

What the others have told you is not correct - it is not a simple yes. It might be a yes, depending on your circumstances, but it also might be a no. Your concern is valid - public showings, even if done freely, can be a violation of copyright law.

The anime club at Georgia Tech would have to ask permission from the companies who held the licensing rights to publically show any licensed material, and typically it would be granted. A legal copy would have to be used, of course, but typically groups like public showings every now and then because it sells DVDs.

This document from another college should explain it well:
http://www.messiah.edu/offices/its/media_services/Documents/Copyright_Guidelines_flowchart.pdf

To sum it up, here are your choices:
1. Wait for permission from the people you've contacted to hold a public performance. They should probably give it to you for free. This way you can show it wherever you want.
2. If you group is pretty small, say under 20 people, you could get away with calling it a private performance and do it in a residence hall or something. This would mean closing it off to anyone outside the club and holding the viewing somewhere private.
3. Have the viewing in your usual club location without permission. You probably won't get caught, and they probably wouldn't care in the unlikely event they found out. If you feel bad about breaking the law, plug a few locations where they can buy the film if they enjoyed it.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 06:48:56 PM »

Well, we're planning on doing it in the library auditorium, and hoping for at least 50 people.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 08:27:59 PM »

You need the company's permission to show a movie that you legally purchased/obtained for free? What kind of bullsh|t law is that?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 08:59:44 PM »

You need the company's permission to show a movie that you legally purchased/obtained for free? What kind of bullsh|t law is that?

Yes, you do.  When you buy it, you buy it for private consumption.  Read the annoying legal notice next time you rent a movie.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 09:02:37 PM »

Well, we're planning on doing it in the library auditorium, and hoping for at least 50 people.

The option 1 is probably the way to go - try contacting them again, by phone if possible since e-mail doesn't seem to be working. Or just break the law and hope you don't get caught.
Sir Coffeebeans
coffeebeans
Rookie
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 09:10:25 PM »

Trust me. I am studying law, and everyone here has been correct in their own right. Do not make it an enormous showing, 50 is already pretty borderline, but there is little to no chance you will get get caught, and even less chance you will get in trouble. Go for it!
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 10:24:33 PM »

The option 1 is probably the way to go - try contacting them again, by phone if possible since e-mail doesn't seem to be working. Or just break the law and hope you don't get caught.

I've been doing both.  3 e-mails and 1 phone call.  I'm going to try calling again tomorrow.

But if I were to get caught, does there silence help in my defense at all?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 10:27:44 PM »

Are you sure they are still in business?
Sir Coffeebeans
coffeebeans
Rookie
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 10:30:58 PM »

I've been doing both.  3 e-mails and 1 phone call.  I'm going to try calling again tomorrow.

Yes. The fact that you tried to contact them many times will certainly get you in a much better situation. I think worse case scenario you will have to pay $500, which is highly unlikely.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 10:51:35 PM »

If you are not trying to make money out of it, if it were me, I would just show it.  The law in certain applications can be an ass, and is best ignored. I assume this is just a one night stand as it were , no? The maw of the  copyright law is after bigger and more pecuniarily significant game.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 11:28:14 PM »

Suing you would be terrible PR for the distributing company. 
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 12:48:50 AM »

Really?  You can't see a way to take advantage of such a large loop hole?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 11:43:30 AM »

Yes. The fact that you tried to contact them many times will certainly get you in a much better situation. I think worse case scenario you will have to pay $500, which is highly unlikely.

And like I said, if you end up going ahead without permission I would also put in a mention of "if you like it, support the company that made it and buy a copy" or something to that effect.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies