Official NYC Mayoral Race 2009 Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:39:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Official NYC Mayoral Race 2009 Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Official NYC Mayoral Race 2009 Thread  (Read 6304 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 25, 2009, 05:55:24 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_mayoral_election,_2009

I just remembered that King Michael is up this year. Here's hoping that this one is interesting (unlike last time). I also hope that Randy Daniels or Ray Kelly (or even Susan Molinari) runs on the GOP side.

And I am once again at least claiming to want the Dems to win this one.  Wink  I'd probably not vote for any of them if I lived in NYC. Then again, if the Dems nominate Avella (I have two aunts that live in his district), he seems sane enough to really support. That being said, this guy seems like the longest of long shots when it comes to the Dems.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 06:48:18 PM »

I haven't heard anything about Susan Molinari running (she went to the same high school as my sisters Smiley) and I doubt she would.  She is virtually identical to Bloomberg politically. 

A couple of years ago I was eagerly awaiting Ray Kelly's run for mayor, but Bloomberg's desire for another term dashed that.  He's Bloomberg's police commissioner and would never challenge him.  A run for Governor or U.S. Senate would be a dream for me, but I honestly think more NYC Repulicans want Kelly to run for office, than Kelly wants to himself.

Another interesting Republican would be Marty Golden.  But I think he has his eyes on state-wide office.  I could be wrong though. 

I think the Dem nominee will be Anthony Wiener (yes, it's pronounced "WEE-ner").  But he won't win.  If it were up to me I'd just proclaim Bloomberg mayor for another term, and save the city a boatload of money. Tongue
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 07:49:58 PM »

A couple of polls have come out. They're on the Wikipedia page, but copying them here anyway...

Quinnipiac
General
Bloomberg: 50
Weiner: 35

Bloomberg: 50
Thompson 34

Primary
Weiner: 30
Thompson: 23
[Avella not included]

New York 1
General
Bloomberg: 43
Weiner: 36

Bloomberg: 45
Thompson 32

Primary
Weiner: 31
Thompson: 22
Avella: 4
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 07:51:27 PM »

So has Carrion's move to DC eliminated any chance of him attempting anything?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 08:01:14 PM »

I just noticed that Catsimatidis is still on the Wikipedia page. No way he runs now that Bloomberg will be running. All the chatter about him running is from 2007, well before the term limits change.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 09:44:48 PM »

This won't be much of a race, sadly. Bloomberg has reached King of New York status.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 12:17:55 PM »

This won't be much of a race, sadly. Bloomberg has reached King of New York status.

The funny thing is that the only people that like him are those who thought Caroline would have been a good Senator.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 12:19:53 PM »

So has Carrion's move to DC eliminated any chance of him attempting anything?

Carrion wouldn't have won anyway.  It would also be hard to get his mouth separated from the Yankees' collective ass.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 02:44:51 PM »

The funny thing is that the only people that like him are those who thought Caroline would have been a good Senator.

I have a very high opinion of Bloomberg, and I think Caroline would have been a bad choice.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 03:26:59 PM »

I have a very high opinion of Bloomberg, and I think Caroline would have been a bad choice.

Same here. I have to disagree with unempprof on that statement.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 03:50:50 PM »

I also have a high opinion of Bloomberg yet thought Caroline shouldn't have been appointed.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 04:03:44 PM »

With the exception of Paul, the rest of you guys are not New Yorkers so your opinion doesn't matter much. Smiley
My opinion is based more on what I hear in my circle of friends and acquaintances so I might be wrong.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 12:05:36 AM »

With the exception of Paul, the rest of you guys are not New Yorkers so your opinion doesn't matter much. Smiley
My opinion is based more on what I hear in my circle of friends and acquaintances so I might be wrong.

It could be argued that Bloomberg has broad appeal over white voters from the outer boroughs, which includes a lot of Catholics who have lionized JFK for the last 40-odd years.  My mother is a good example.  She's a registered Democrat, but began consistently voting for Republicans during the Nixon years, and has been ever since.  Yet, when Caroline Kennedy's name began circulating for the Senate seat, she was ecstatic.  She had no idea that Caroline's political views couldn't be more opposite than hers, but it didn't matter to her.  She's a Kennedy!  "She comes from good stock," she told me. 

But from where else was Caroline drawing her support?  The Manhattan liberals.  Do they like Bloomberg?  I honestly don't know.  I could hardly see them voting for him over Mark Green in 2001.  He had bipartisan support in '05, but that was the beginning of the anti-Republican sentiment in America, so they might've gone for the more liberal Fernando Ferrer.  Again, I don't know for sure. 

So I'm gonna disagree with you that Bloomberg supporters = Caroline supporters, but I can see where you might have a point.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 12:11:53 AM »

If the map of Assembly districts RBH made is any indication, the Manhattan liberals loved Bloomberg in 2005. Note the Upper West Side, in particular.

Generally speaking, Ferrer won the Hispanic vote solidly, and won the black vote anemically (for a Democrat, anyway). And lost the white vote widely everywhere.

Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 12:58:19 AM »

Bloomberg Is a an EPIC Freedom Fighter. Almost at unconquerable levels. The only New Yorker who is more of a Freedom Fighter is the legendary blind black of New York, David Paterson.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 02:28:57 AM »

Bloomberg isn't a Republican.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2009, 03:18:02 AM »

He'd probably do better as an Independent, depending on what kind of deal he could broker with the local GOP (which would probably rather an Independent hold the seat rather than a Democrat).

paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2009, 11:20:40 AM »

He'd probably do better as an Independent, depending on what kind of deal he could broker with the local GOP (which would probably rather an Independent hold the seat rather than a Democrat).

He'll run as an Independent, likely with the endorsements of the Conservative and Republican Parties.

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2009, 11:53:28 AM »

He'll run as an Independent, likely with the endorsements of the Conservative and Republican Parties.

The Conservative Party? Yeah, right. They hate Bloomberg. They may not run their own candidate, but he won't be on their line. Ognibene ran against him last time. Independence, now, he'll be on their line. He revived the Liberal line for his 2005 run, too, so he may do that again, although the Liberal Party is dead.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2009, 12:15:21 PM »

The Conservative Party? Yeah, right. They hate Bloomberg. They may not run their own candidate, but he won't be on their line. Ognibene ran against him last time.

That's what I was going to say. Hopefully, Ognibene runs again (or the GOP decides to do something crazy and run someone against Bloomberg).
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2009, 01:31:32 PM »

The Conservative Party? Yeah, right. They hate Bloomberg. They may not run their own candidate, but he won't be on their line. Ognibene ran against him last time. Independence, now, he'll be on their line. He revived the Liberal line for his 2005 run, too, so he may do that again, although the Liberal Party is dead.

It never made sense to me why the Liberal Party declined. I guess its becasue they consider Dems liberal enough where as when moderates win the GOP nomination conservative Reps in some cases bolster Conservative party ranks like in some of Sue Kelly's races in the 90's and others that don't come to mind right now. Especially with Gilibrand in the Senate though she is liberalising you could see the potential of Liberal third party run and what better vehicle then the Liberal party.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2009, 01:37:03 PM »

It never made sense to me why the Liberal Party declined. I guess its becasue they consider Dems liberal enough where as when moderates win the GOP nomination conservative Reps in some cases bolster Conservative party ranks like in some of Sue Kelly's races in the 90's and others that don't come to mind right now. Especially with Gilibrand in the Senate though she is liberalising you could see the potential of Liberal third party run and what better vehicle then the Liberal party.

The Liberal Party became a patronage machine rather than a political party. It was also helped to its demise by the rise of the Working Families Party, which basically filled the Liberal Party's old niche (better, since the Liberals and Conservatives had not always been foils, but the Working Families Party and the Conservative Party would never support the same candidate).
Wall St. Wiz
Rookie
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2009, 09:38:33 PM »

No chance Bloomberg loses barring a scandal, and I'm not sure that woiuld matter when he can spend unlimited money.  It's a shame as the guy is a scumbag.  He ran as a republican even though he was a lifelong democrat because that was the easiest path.  Then once elected he changes his party affiliation to independent.  Then he pushes to have the rules changed while he is in office to allow him to seek a third term.  What a piece of sh**t.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2009, 02:02:42 AM »

No chance Bloomberg loses barring a scandal, and I'm not sure that woiuld matter when he can spend unlimited money.  It's a shame as the guy is a scumbag.  He ran as a republican even though he was a lifelong democrat because that was the easiest path.  Then once elected he changes his party affiliation to independent.  Then he pushes to have the rules changed while he is in office to allow him to seek a third term.  What a piece of sh**t.

I know man... What a scumbag.  That's why I said the other day that the only people that support him are the people that thought Caroline would have been a good senator.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2009, 07:40:42 PM »

Mark Green is running (again)

...lol
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length