It's the Air Force for me!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 05:07:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  It's the Air Force for me!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: It's the Air Force for me!  (Read 2812 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 24, 2009, 06:17:50 PM »
« edited: January 24, 2009, 06:19:37 PM by Reaganfan »

Well, I couldn't quite get the high score I needed (65%) to go straight into the Air Force, but I can still go in and will be in the coming weeks.

I took the test three times:

September 25th: 55%
November 13th: 63%
January 23rd: 55%

All of my scores are well over the usual required score, and I am considered "above average". However, since my High School diploma is from a charter high school, the Air Force requires a 65%.

UNLESS...I take 15 semester hours of classes...any classes I want...from a local community college. After that, I would only need a 36%, and my 55% is almost 20 pts over what is needed.

So, I will enroll in a local community college, be sworn into the Air Force into Delayed Enlistment...and leave once I complete them.

Complicated huh? At least I get the branch I want...although I do not qualify for the Weather job. I may end up taking the Police job since I'd be very likely to get that since it is such a high demand job.
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 06:21:08 PM »

Congratulations... what are you thinking about taking?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 06:21:41 PM »

Congrats. I know two people who enrolled into the Navy. They got to go to this really amazing school before being deployed. At least, the way they described it sounded amazing...
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 06:53:43 PM »

Congratulations!  I know you are disappointed about having to go to school, but again this is a great path to take.  In fact, I cannot urge graduating enough.  I would without a doubt go to college full time for at least two years before enlisting.  In that time you can build a background in higher education, which is infinitely useful in life after service, and bulk up a bit at the school's gym, which would be good for while you are serving.  Just consider it. Smiley

With 30 units you can get advanced rank, right? Hitting E-3 right out of BMT would be fun. I could be wrong, though.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 06:56:03 PM »

GENERAL JOBS

In-Flight Refueling
Aircraft Loadmaster
Airborne Battle Management Systems
Air Traffic Control
Combat Control
Command Post
Aerospace Control & Warning Systems
Intelligence Applications
Signals Intelligence Production
Survival Evasion, Resist & Escape
Aircrew Life Support
Pararescue
Nondestructive Inspection
Maintenance Data Systems Analysis
Maintenance Scheduling
Supply Management
Munitions System
Environmental
Engineering
Operations
Fire Protection
Services
Regional Band
Premier Band
Security Forces
Visual Information
Still Photographic
Health Services Management
Medical Materiel
Bioenvironmental Engineering
Mental Health Service
Diet Therapy
Public Health
Aeromedical
Cardiopulmonary Laboratory
Occupational Therapy
Physical Therapy
Aerospace Physiology
Medical Service
Surgical Services
Pharmacy
Diagnostic Imaging
Histopathology
Orthotic
Optometry
Dental Assistant
Financial Management

MECHANICAL JOBS

Flight Engineer
Aerial Gunner
Tactical Aircraft Maintenance
Aerospace Maintenance
Aerospace Propulsion
Aerospace Ground Equipment
Aircraft Fuel Systems
Aircraft Metals Technology
Aircraft Structural Maintenance
Survival Equipment
Communications Cable Systems
Fuels
Missile & Space Sys Maintenance
Vehicle Operations
Air Transportation
Special Purpose Veh & Equip Maint
Special Vehicle Maintenance
General Purpose Veh Maintenance
Aircraft Armament Systems
Heating, Vent, Air Cond & Refriger
Pavements And Construction Equip
Structural
Utilities System
Liquid Fuel System Maintenance

ADMINISTRATIVE JOBS

Airfield Management
Operations Resource Management
Supply Management
Supply Systems
Traffic Management
Vehicle Maint Control & Analysis
Information Management
Radio Communications Systems
Regional Band
Premier Band
Personnel

ELECTRICAL JOBS

Telephone Systems
Electrical Systems

I get to choose four of the jobs above and I am 100% guaranteed to get one of the four.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 06:59:08 PM »

do you have to go to boot camp?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 07:03:38 PM »

The perfect job for you.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 09:52:42 PM »

Congrats!  The old man was in the military police for the Air Force, right?  He must be proud.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 10:14:25 PM »

Congratulations, friend.  I know you must be excited about being able to go in despite having to go to school.  As others have said, I think the school route is actually the better option since it will benefit you immensely after you get out of the Air Force.

I sure wish I could have gone into the military.  For me, it would have been the Navy, but alas, my glasses, my medicine, and my weight closed that door for me.  Oh well.

I am very happy for you, man.  I know you will serve this country with the greatest of honor and the greatest of dignity and the utmost integrity.  Remember, your chain-of-command will include President Obama as your CiC.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 11:05:15 PM »

Congratulations, friend.  I know you must be excited about being able to go in despite having to go to school.  As others have said, I think the school route is actually the better option since it will benefit you immensely after you get out of the Air Force.

I sure wish I could have gone into the military.  For me, it would have been the Navy, but alas, my glasses, my medicine, and my weight closed that door for me.  Oh well.

I am very happy for you, man.  I know you will serve this country with the greatest of honor and the greatest of dignity and the utmost integrity.  Remember, your chain-of-command will include President Obama as your CiC.

Yeah but only in my first AF term Wink

BTW...they allow glasses...you just can't be a pilot.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 11:48:12 PM »

Well Naso, we were never truly close, but it makes me proud as Hell to know an Atlasian is going to serve the stars and stripes. You will do fine and make a great addition to our national force. Thank you, and best of luck!
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 12:19:27 AM »

Like I said, the air force is great because you don't have to die (Army) or live in a submarine/boat (Navy) Smiley
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 01:55:40 AM »

Like I said, the air force is great because you don't have to die (Army) or live in a submarine/boat (Navy) Smiley
..and we have the best kill:death ratio of any service anywhere, ever.  And we send our officers out to fight while the enlisted stay home and play cards.  And we have the best food and the hottest chicks.  The Army has the best college deal but it's much easier to go to school while in with the Air Force.  The Marines have the best espirit de corps, but it's very hard earned.  The Navy has the best uniforms, but you have to be gay to join.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 02:01:53 AM »

I get to choose four of the jobs above and I am 100% guaranteed to get one of the four.

No weather?  Odd things listed in the "general" part too.  Don't waste your time putting down Pararescue or Combat Control, if you want to hold a gun during as part of your job, you'll get oppurtunities in BMT to try out for those spots.  Very hard.  My Flight had 7 or 8 dudes go try out for Combat Control (these are the guys tasked with taking and holding enemy airfields behind enemy lines and then playing combat air traffic controller) and only one of them even got a call back (and he washed out later).  If you have any questions about any of the others, feel free to ask.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 04:12:44 AM »

Congratulations!  That's what I suggested you do.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 04:37:03 AM »

..and we have the best kill:death ratio of any service anywhere, ever.  And we send our officers out to fight while the enlisted stay home and play cards.  And we have the best food and the hottest chicks.  The Army has the best college deal but it's much easier to go to school while in with the Air Force.  The Marines have the best espirit de corps, but it's very hard earned.  The Navy has the best uniforms, but you have to be gay to join.

I must take umbrage with your assertion that the Navy has the best uniforms.

Their officers don't even have rope in their hats!

But, the Navy does have the best coffee.

And, yes, you're right, the Air Force has the best cuisine (at least for officers).
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 12:20:00 PM »

Well at least he picked AF and not a Soldier position.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 01:40:43 PM »

I'm glad you've finally decided Smiley  Good luck Smiley

Rin-chan
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2009, 02:09:22 PM »

..and we have the best kill:death ratio of any service anywhere, ever.  And we send our officers out to fight while the enlisted stay home and play cards.
I don't think what the Air Force does qualifies as "fight". There's a reason why officers chuse to do it. (Not that it's entirely risk-free; I understand that.)
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2009, 02:22:02 PM »

..and we have the best kill:death ratio of any service anywhere, ever.  And we send our officers out to fight while the enlisted stay home and play cards.
I don't think what the Air Force does qualifies as "fight". There's a reason why officers chuse to do it. (Not that it's entirely risk-free; I understand that.)

Doesn't the Air Force fly/operate the AC-130s?  They kick a lot of ass, don't they?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2009, 02:53:37 PM »

Doesn't the Air Force fly/operate the AC-130s?  They kick a lot of ass, don't they?
Shooting at people =|= fighting.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2009, 03:24:53 PM »

Well done Naso.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2009, 06:27:35 PM »

Shooting at people =|= fighting.

But "shooting at people, while being shot at" = fighting.  Just because the Iraqis and Afghanis didn't have proper air defense capabilities, it doesn't mean no one else does.  God forbid we get into it with Russia or China, air superiority won't be such a given.   
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2009, 06:37:12 PM »

forbid we get into it with Russia or China, air superiority won't be such a given.

If we "get into it" with those countries, I'd be more worried about nuclear annihilation than about our relative airpower.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2009, 07:34:17 PM »

forbid we get into it with Russia or China, air superiority won't be such a given.

If we "get into it" with those countries, I'd be more worried about nuclear annihilation than about our relative airpower.

Of course.  But I think mutually-assured destruction could lead to a conventional war preceding a nuclear one.  And don't rule out proxy wars. 

But a military-man I am not.  And this type of talk leaves me depressed. Tongue
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies