The national debt as a fraction of GDP
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:22:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  The national debt as a fraction of GDP
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The national debt as a fraction of GDP  (Read 4710 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 24, 2009, 05:17:50 PM »

Comment on this graph. Note that it certainly got much worse since Sept. 30th.

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 05:32:44 PM »

All that graph tells me is that Barack Obama has a responsibility to raise taxes and cut spending where it can be cut to end budget deficits and begin paying down the national debt.

Even if we're paying piddly amounts off, it's still better than constantly accruing more and more debt until the end of time, which it seems we are doing currently.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 06:20:10 PM »

All that graph tells me is that Barack Obama has a responsibility to raise taxes and cut spending where it can be cut to end budget deficits and begin paying down the national debt.

Even if we're paying piddly amounts off, it's still better than constantly accruing more and more debt until the end of time, which it seems we are doing currently.

Even if we pay off nothing at all, it is still a much better arrangement than the current one.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 11:02:11 PM »

Not at all surprising to anybody who has been paying attention.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 04:40:27 AM »

So it doesn't tell you anything about the relative successes or failures of the parties' approaches to economics in terms of true fiscal responsibility?

Now, granted, the sample size is small, but it at the very least puts the burden of proof on those who insist it is meaningless to explain why.

But yes, tax increases for the wealthy as well as ending the war in Iraq would go quite a long way towards budgetary responsibility, and hopefully these will both be accomplished within the next 4 years.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 01:46:53 PM »

All that graph tells me is that our current debt level is low as a percentage of GDP and that we can borrow a lot more to get ourselves out of the depression - just like we did before.  Hello 90% of GDP!
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 02:31:25 PM »

that worked real well for 1990s japan
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 05:28:29 PM »

Why not just default and immediately after put the country on a gold standard as a confidence replacing measure?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 06:55:04 AM »

delightfully ironic that the party of "fiscal responsibility" has such numbers to show for itself.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 11:40:13 AM »

delightfully ironic that the party of "fiscal responsibility" has such numbers to show for itself.

That graph gives a good idea of the last time the Republican Party stood up with its rhetoric.  We've been floating on abortion for the past 30 years.

Which is really depressing. The GOP of Ford, Eisenhower and before was the perfect party for me.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 01:46:24 PM »

That graph gives a good idea of the last time the Republican Party stood up with its rhetoric.  We've been floating on abortion for the past 30 years.

lol gop sucks
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 10:28:17 PM »

Which is really depressing. The GOP of Ford, Eisenhower and before was the perfect party for me.

Me too. The emphasis on social fascism in the GOP today is a major part of why I left.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 10:45:40 PM »

Why is everyone basing the GOP off of George Bush?  At least, that's what I'm seeing...
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 10:54:00 PM »

I wasn't basing it off of Bush, if that's what you're talking about. Tongue
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 11:01:45 PM »

We need to cut spending... rather dramatically.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2009, 11:05:52 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

1990s Japan didn't have a depression, or have unemployment ever go over 6%. Yes they had slower growth, but they are wealthy enough that it's not critical. I think most American policymakers would jump at a 1990s Japan style situation for the next few years.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies