The Official Obama Approval Ratings Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:59:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  The Official Obama Approval Ratings Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Official Obama Approval Ratings Thread  (Read 1221880 times)
Lahbas
United States

« on: November 03, 2009, 12:45:29 AM »

What I am waiting for is the President's policy of Afghanistan. His ambiguity certainly is not helping the view of him as a leader, and there is really no indicator on where he will turn. In my mind, he might follow the opinion polls on the issue, which might prove to be more negative in the end.
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 05:12:38 PM »

Hell, I expected CNN to be higher, and Gallup to be lower. And this is after the annoucement that unemployment had dropped. It could have to do with the decision on Afghanistan however. Then again it could be a fluke.
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 11:53:24 PM »

Lahbas
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 06:31:01 PM »

There is going to be a small bump that is for certain. The problem however is that even though people might know that the President is trying to do his best, he is not doing it well. Therefore, this bump will probably not last long if the economic trend holds. In my opinion, his approval is likely going to enter the thirties and bottom out there by the end of the year. His current economic policies MAY produce another recession, which he will be blamed for, specifically his proposed taxes on the banks. Another stimulus will likely be introduced, which also won't be popular, and possibly will be rejected by the Senate by a narrow margin, due to the 2010 elections. At the same time I would not put it past them to pass a third stimulus, though it could potentially be filibustered.

The year has, in a way, begun well for Obama, but it is likely to get much worse before it gets any better. After 2010, the Republican House, or the Divided Congress, will make Obama's work even more difficult, and instead of blaming Congress, they will continue to blame the President. At that point, his major problem will be appealing to the Left of the Democratic Party, since he will be forced to further moderate his views. While this will help him with independent voters, his already shaky support among the Left will degrade, likely prompting a challenge in the primaries (assuming his approval ratings are still low in the middle of 2011). At this point, there is also the question of whether or not he would even WANT another term, in which case the field is wide open (Biden would be considered too close to Obama, and generally too old to run for the Presidency). Obama will find it really difficult to win reelection with a Republican House, since little can be accomplished without both the approval of the House and the President.

Even in the case of a successful economy, which I doubt, there is the problem of Afghanistan. If the situation degrades regardless of the surge, and the President is not able to follow his timeline.........enough is said. Like how President Bush went down with the War in Iraq, it is likely that President Obama will go down with the War in Afghanistan in this event. I hope that will not be the case, but since the Taliban have a fairly safe base in Warzistan, we will have to see.

In any situation, Obama has a REALLY tough road ahead of him, and his Charisma can only do so much before it, to the voter, appears nothing more than rhetoric.
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 01:09:48 PM »

Obama is now only 0.3 points ahead of his national disapproval rating on Real Clear Politics

47.7 - 47.4
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies