The ACLU isn't always bad
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 05:37:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The ACLU isn't always bad
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The ACLU isn't always bad  (Read 908 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 21, 2009, 06:08:48 PM »

http://www.startribune.com/local/north/38009569.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUUs

The American Civil Liberties Union of Minnesota said it will file suit today against a publicly funded charter school, alleging that it is promoting the Muslim religion and that it is leasing school space from a religious organization, the Muslim American Society of Minnesota, without following state law.

I support their decision to sue here just as I would support them in a case where a publicly funded charter school was catering specifically to Christians.

Then again, "you might be a Minnesotan if you're a card carrying member of both the NRA and the ACLU"

It will be interesting, however, to see the reaction of the Muslim community in Minnesota.  We have a large number of Muslim immigrants from Somalia and the middle east.  The question is:  Can a publicly funded school cater to the Islam (or any religion for that matter) without actively promoting or encouraging it?

Muslims are supposed to pray several times a day.  Is it a violation of the constitution if a public school includes break times for this purpose?
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 07:11:53 PM »

The ACLU 'isn't always bad'?

The ACLU being bad in any shape or form is a right wing talking point. The ACLU is a terrific, freedom-fighting organization.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 07:20:52 PM »

The ACLU being bad in any shape or form is a right wing talking point. The ACLU is a terrific, freedom-fighting organization.

I know that.. and part of their evidence is that they 'unfairly single out Christians' while leaving Muslims and other minorities alone.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 07:58:39 PM »

Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 07:59:54 PM »

I know that.. and part of their evidence is that they 'unfairly single out Christians' while leaving Muslims and other minorities alone.

which is a right-wing fantasy. There are numerous instances where the ACLU has defended the rights of Christians to practice and spread their faith: http://www.aclufightsforchristians.com/
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 08:49:46 PM »

which is a right-wing fantasy. There are numerous instances where the ACLU has defended the rights of Christians to practice and spread their faith: http://www.aclufightsforchristians.com/

The persecution complex of some Christians in this country astounds me.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 10:03:17 PM »

gotta agree with you on that.
as for the aclu im not exactly their biggest fan as they arent very big supporters of gun rights of course i might be wrong on that but they are FF on most other things so they have my respect.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 11:26:27 PM »

2000 years of playing the victim card. I mean, the Christians were the true victims in the Crusades and the Holocaust.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 12:03:45 AM »

I wouldn't dislike the ACLU so much if they would just read the 2nd Amendment properly.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies