DO YOUR JOB MR VP OR BE KILLED IN THE REVOLUTION
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 08:14:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  DO YOUR JOB MR VP OR BE KILLED IN THE REVOLUTION
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: DO YOUR JOB MR VP OR BE KILLED IN THE REVOLUTION  (Read 6385 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 20, 2009, 08:01:08 PM »
« edited: February 09, 2009, 05:52:23 PM by Alderman »

Malaysian Free Trade Renegotiation Act

1.  F.L. 14-4: Atlasia-Malaysia Free Trade Act is hereby repealed.

Sponsor: Happy Warrior
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 02:32:43 AM »

Needs more renegotiating & less repealing.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 10:15:08 AM »

Wink no but if you have any ideas that may make it more appealing to the rest of the Senate I am open to compromise, I doubt the president will accept this as is.  He has vetoed it once already after all.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 11:08:01 AM »

Wink no but if you have any ideas that may make it more appealing to the rest of the Senate I am open to compromise, I doubt the president will accept this as is.  He has vetoed it once already after all.

Realistically, you would need something in there to win over the economically right-wing Senators. There are four of us, so you need at least one of our votes to successfully override a veto. What that something would be, I don't really know at the moment.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 12:11:10 PM »

Does anyone have any suggestions without withdrawing this that may make it more acceptable to those who would not vote for it, while not losing it's previous support?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 03:32:16 PM »

Does anyone have any suggestions without withdrawing this that may make it more acceptable to those who would not vote for it, while not losing it's previous support?
No, limiting free trade in any manner is not something I am willing to do
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 03:37:15 PM »

I am willing to compromise on the issue despite being a staunch protectionist, why can't you?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 03:38:53 PM »

I am willing to compromise on the issue despite being a staunch protectionist, why can't you?
Because I do not believe that limiting free trade is something we should do.  You are looking to compromise as the current statue permits free trade and you are looking to change it, I have no reason to compromise as the current statue does exactly what I want so if the bill fails all the better.  I'm not going to compromise and harm America businesses, free trade is a black and white issue.  Either you like free markets and succesful businesses, or you do not.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 03:41:09 PM »

Is there any significant nation that we do not currently have free trade with? If so, it may be acceptable to "switch" free trade agreements as it were.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 04:01:21 PM »

Because I do not believe that limiting free trade is something we should do.  You are looking to compromise as the current statue permits free trade and you are looking to change it, I have no reason to compromise as the current statue does exactly what I want so if the bill fails all the better.  I'm not going to compromise and harm America businesses, free trade is a black and white issue.  Either you like free markets and succesful businesses, or you do not.

But in my opinion free trade only harms our businesses.  And why do we allow ourselves to have these agreements with dictatorial monsters.  Also you always talk about your opposition to international agreements but is that not what a free trade agreement is?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 11:59:10 AM »

Realistically, you would need something in there to win over the economically right-wing Senators. There are four of us, so you need at least one of our votes to successfully override a veto. What that something would be, I don't really know at the moment.

I'm insulted that you think being pro-free-trade requires being "economically right-wing" Tongue

However, I wonder what is particularly appealing about Malaysia that means we should have free trade with them?  As far as I know they're a fairly OK country, but don't they still criminalize apostasy?
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 12:15:53 PM »

I'm insulted that you think being pro-free-trade requires being "economically right-wing" Tongue

However, I wonder what is particularly appealing about Malaysia that means we should have free trade with them?  As far as I know they're a fairly OK country, but don't they still criminalize apostasy?
They're also a criminal autocratic state.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 08:20:13 PM »

Well there are four of us who are economically right-wing. Tongue He could put something in to please you as well. Wink
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 04:39:39 PM »

But in my opinion free trade only harms our businesses.  And why do we allow ourselves to have these agreements with dictatorial monsters.  Also you always talk about your opposition to international agreements but is that not what a free trade agreement is?
First of all, your opinion is something I find idiotic, so why would I agree to something supporting it?  Second, why should businesses be limited in their business because the government of that country isn't the same as ours?  And for your last point, free trade agreements are not international agreements in the sense that I oppose which is Atlasia just hitching itself to something that does not help us, these are one on ones that greatly increase trade and businesses
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 01:49:31 PM »

I think it's important to correct a common factual error; Atlasia doesn't really do free trade agreements. We just unilaterally lifted restrictions on trade with whatever countries came next into the minds of the people running this place during the period of ultra-free-market domination a few years ago. That's quite a difference to an agreement, actually.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 01:52:18 PM »

I think it's important to correct a common factual error; Atlasia doesn't really do free trade agreements. We just unilaterally lifted restrictions on trade with whatever countries came next into the minds of the people running this place during the period of ultra-free-market domination a few years ago. That's quite a difference to an agreement, actually.

So in other words we have no tariffs on them but they can have them on us?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 02:07:02 PM »

Yes.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 02:21:27 PM »

Yes.

That is disgusting.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2009, 03:10:20 PM »

If that is true, then we should repeal all "free trade" agreements. What stupid, stupid policy.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2009, 03:35:17 PM »

If that is true, then we should repeal all "free trade" agreements. What stupid, stupid policy.

Wouldn't it just be better to amend the free trade agreements such that they are contingent upon the other country having a policy of free trade as well, rather than simply burning bridges?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2009, 04:34:35 PM »

Wouldn't it just be better to amend the free trade agreements such that they are contingent upon the other country having a policy of free trade as well, rather than simply burning bridges?

I agree with this. It's not like we were going to phone Sarkozy & ask him to repeal any tariffs on Atlasian exports.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2009, 09:37:29 PM »

Nope, burn em all.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2009, 07:57:29 AM »

I call a final vote on this bill.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom