Kentucky
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 04:14:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Kentucky
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Author Topic: Kentucky  (Read 23562 times)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 20, 2009, 07:35:35 PM »

I'm really interested in this race, so let's have a discussion. Smiley

So what do you think of Bunning's chances of retirement are? Mongiardo says if he decides to run, he expects Bunning to wimp out and do it. Pretty bold.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.14wfie.com/Global/story.asp?S=9693020&nav=menu54_3

And Bunning's also been MIA for the past while, but whether that's relavent or not, I dunno. Anyway, if Mongiardo runs again against Bunning, I'd say it's toss-up for now purely because of incumbency, but if Bunning does bow out, I'd give the edge to Mongiardo against a generic R...
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 07:41:40 PM »

Bunning will be easier to defeat than to take an open seat, so he shouldn't be goading him into retirement.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 08:54:40 PM »

He needs to retire or be beaten in a primary. That being said, I still think the GOP is favored to hold this seat with Bunning. Any other serious Republican would definitely be favored against Mongiardo.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 09:00:42 PM »

Bunning will be easier to defeat than to take an open seat, so he shouldn't be goading him into retirement.

I doubt he's goading him.  He's throwing down the gauntlet so Bunning can't retire without being a wimp.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 12:19:21 PM »

I hate Politico cause it always seems to wanna start a fight, but.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0109/17785.html

More inside the article. I think Republicans are feeling really bad about this seat, even Cornyn didn't give a straight answer when asked if Bunning was the best candidate.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 01:38:12 PM »

He needs to retire or be beaten in a primary. That being said, I still think the GOP is favored to hold this seat with Bunning.

Bunning barely held the seat in a Republican state in a Republican year against a nobody state legislator with a name that is not an asset in Kentucky, and with people only finding out about his mental problems a few weeks before Election Day.

It is impossible for Bunning to win again.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 03:03:43 PM »

I hope he does retire so someone like Geoff Davis or Ron Lewis can run and win this. I like Bunning but I think his day is done.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 05:13:04 PM »

Bunning barely held the seat in a Republican state in a Republican year against a nobody state legislator with a name that is not an asset in Kentucky, and with people only finding out about his mental problems a few weeks before Election Day.

A few weeks before the campaign and it totally shaped the campaign. Sure he should have won by more but he also did everything he possibly could to try and throw it away. Plus, Bunning was never all that popular to begin with so the "Republican state in a Republican year" argument only goes so far.

Uh...haha...ok.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 05:24:15 PM »

It may be an attempt to appeal to Bunning's wily side. If Mongiardo taunts Bunning enough, it's more likely that the old loony tries to run for reelection.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 05:31:18 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2009, 05:36:17 PM by brittain33 »

You won't see me say that about any other Senator except for Joe Lieberman. Bunning has the Dead Man Walking award for 2010, no competition. The guy is unelectable and everyone in the state knows it.

Did you read that he vanished from the Senate this week and wouldn't tell his fellow senators why, except that family comes first? What's he going to do differently this time that he didn't do in 2004, when he had to participate in a debate by closed-circuit tv from Washington with an aide feeding him answers to questions? Is he going to draw a second-tier opponent with all of the disadvantages I mentioned, given that every top Dem in the state sees the opportunity here?

There are a lot of parallels with Mark Dayton's position heading into 2006, except Dayton was merely lame, not senile. You laughed off Dayton's chances for Governor because of his bad reputation as "crazy"...
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 05:32:17 PM »

Plus, Bunning was never all that popular to begin with...

I am struggling to see how this serves as an argument for his reelection in any way.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 05:35:20 PM »

Bunning still only has $175k in his campaign account, I mean, Eliot Spitzer has more money than that in his campaign account.  Most House members do as well
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 05:36:43 PM »

The guy is unelectable and everyone in the state knows it.

Possibly the worst generalization I've seen here in awhile.

Listen, I agree that he's a huge liability but saying that it will be impossible for him to win again is wrong.

Hopefully, I won't have to see what he plans on doing differently. I want him beaten in a primary.  Tongue

But I think the campaign team and the NRSC will have a very tight leash on the guy this time around.

Plus, Bunning was never all that popular to begin with...

I am struggling to see how this serves as an argument for his reelection in any way.

Roll Eyes

I wasn't saying it was an argument for his re-election. It almost totally neutralized all of the advantages you listed so that it would seem like Bunning was actually super safe. That is all.

Bunning still only has $175k in his campaign account, I mean, Eliot Spitzer has more money than that in his campaign account.  Most House members do as well

Which means he's probably gone before ever reaching the General.  Smiley
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 05:40:06 PM »

Listen, I agree that he's a huge liability but saying that it will be impossible for him to win again is wrong.

Ok, so it sounds as if the difference between you and me lies between "likely to lose in the primary or general" vs. "impossible to win"? I'm fine letting that be.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 05:54:59 PM »

Ok, so it sounds as if the difference between you and me lies between "likely to lose in the primary or general" vs. "impossible to win"? I'm fine letting that be.

Well, I'm not saying he's likely to lose in either. He's going to have a very tough time in both.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 11:51:21 PM »

Bunning's senile dementia should sink him even in Kentucky, unless he runs against another gay Arab.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 12:06:58 AM »

unless he runs against another gay Arab.

Mongiardo, Rob. Mongiardo.

Wait, I know what you're getting at.  Tongue
Spaghetti Cat
Driedapples
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2009, 09:23:38 PM »

I like either one of them eons better than Bunning.  He needs to be primaried for Christs sake!
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2009, 08:10:36 AM »

Mongiardo is running. Seems like Ben Chandler is going to stay in the House.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 01:10:16 AM »

Bunning, when confronted about it today, didn't even realize that Mongiardo had announced his candidacy.
http://www.politico.com/blogs/scorecard/0109/Bunning_reiterates_hes_running_again.html

Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 01:15:14 AM »

Bunning, when confronted about it today, didn't even realize that Mongiardo had announced his candidacy.
http://www.politico.com/blogs/scorecard/0109/Bunning_reiterates_hes_running_again.html

Uh oh
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2009, 01:34:28 AM »

I also enjoy how he's only had 26 donors lately and they haven't contributed more than he's spending

You'd think major candidates declaring against you would be something you're immediately informed about?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2009, 01:54:32 AM »

Anyone interested in the 2004 KY Senate polls between Bunning & Mongiardo ?

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/Presidential_04/ky_polls.html

Mongiardo did really well in the end ...
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2009, 06:40:35 PM »

On Wednesday, Jim Bunning attacked NRSC Chairman Chairman John Cornyn for suggesting Bunning hadn't made up his mind about running in 2010.

"He's either deaf or he doesn't listen very well," Manu Raju reported Bunning saying.

Well, Manu caught up with Cornyn this evening to see what he thought of that.

"What? I can't hear you," Cornyn said playfully, adding: "I think probably the less said about it, the better, from my standpoint."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthrush/0109/Cornyn_deaf_to_Bunnings_diss.html?showall
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2009, 08:12:29 PM »

On Wednesday, Jim Bunning attacked NRSC Chairman Chairman John Cornyn for suggesting Bunning hadn't made up his mind about running in 2010.

"He's either deaf or he doesn't listen very well," Manu Raju reported Bunning saying.

Well, Manu caught up with Cornyn this evening to see what he thought of that.

"What? I can't hear you," Cornyn said playfully, adding: "I think probably the less said about it, the better, from my standpoint."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthrush/0109/Cornyn_deaf_to_Bunnings_diss.html?showall

Time for Cornyn to play dirty. He should secretly go and encourge Geoff Davis or Tray Grayson to run. Maybe even fmr. Congressmen Ron Lewis. Bunning is weak and I think he can be taken down in a primary.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies