If the GOP trends populist...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:55:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  If the GOP trends populist...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: If the GOP trends populist...  (Read 5029 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2009, 06:30:34 PM »

Oh I am sorry if my using "baby" instead of "life" is a problem. Frankly it doesn't matter the point is clear.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2009, 06:49:42 PM »

Abortion bans are horrible and there is no justification for ever restricting it. Honestly, I'd like it if proposing sexist measures like that or other such sexism would get one the same social ostracism as an avowed nazi would.

So pouring water over the head of a terrorist, bad. Drilling a hole into the head of an unborn baby and sucking its brains out, or burning it in acid, sure no problem. The left considers only one of these to constitute torture.

I totally oppose late term abortions and believe they should be banned. I do, however, support abortions in the first trimester and oppose making it illegal in certain states.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2009, 07:11:37 PM »

Abortion bans are horrible and there is no justification for ever restricting it. Honestly, I'd like it if proposing sexist measures like that or other such sexism would get one the same social ostracism as an avowed nazi would.

So pouring water over the head of a terrorist, bad. Drilling a hole into the head of an unborn baby and sucking its brains out, or burning it in acid, sure no problem. The left considers only one of these to constitute torture.

I totally oppose late term abortions and believe they should be banned. I do, however, support abortions in the first trimester and oppose making it illegal in certain states.

It appears the left is taking an extreme all or nothing approached on abortion by Supporting the Freedom of Choice Act which would repeal all bans/restrictions/parental consent/requiring pregnant women to be showed other options etc on both Federal and State level.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2009, 07:14:31 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2009, 07:19:01 PM by Mint »

Yes, you are a RINO because "woman's right to choose" is a sugarcoating talking point that only liberals use. As with all such terms, it is a term for which I have zero tolerance.
Goldwater was a RINO? LOL

Come on man, even Reagan was pro-choice for a good chunk of his career. If you guys continue to adopt this hard-line attitude on every issue what Duke and everyone else has said will come to pass. Don't make the same sort of mistakes that the Labour Party (and to a lesser extent, the Democrats) did in the '70s and '80s.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2009, 07:20:33 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2009, 07:22:43 PM by Mint »

It appears the left is taking an extreme all or nothing approached on abortion by Supporting the Freedom of Choice Act which would repeal all bans/restrictions/parental consent/requiring pregnant women to be showed other options etc on both Federal and State level.
Many do, but the Democrats today are still visibly more diverse in this respect to this issue than the modern GOP. Which in the long run, is a terrible strategy since the bulk of the country is moderately/nominally pro choice. Other than Arnold, Snowe, and a few others I can't think of any high profile pro-choice Republicans.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2009, 08:59:28 PM »

Many do, but the Democrats today are still visibly more diverse in this respect to this issue than the modern GOP. Which in the long run, is a terrible strategy since the bulk of the country is moderately/nominally pro choice. Other than Arnold, Snowe, and a few others I can't think of any high profile pro-choice Republicans.

Specter is too, but the GOP is watering at the mouth to get him primaried and ultimately lose the PA Senate seat. That's the problem right now. The country as a whole is moving left on social issues and the GOP is trying to move right and rid themselves of anyone who may support abortion, civil unions, etc... before long we won't be a viable party. The younger generation, especially, is very liberal on social issues. There's no way we can attract them if we continue to make abortion, gays and such the main issues. We can still have them as policy for our party, but we need to focus on economics and why lower spending and smaller government is ultimately better for the nation than the big government plans of the Democrats. Eventually harping about a constitutional ban on gay marriage, overturning Roe v wade etc will draw the interest of no one, especially when 1/3 of the GOP is pro-choice already.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2009, 09:09:56 PM »

Agree for the most part. 'Small government' is too much of a buzzword lately though. You guys need to specify exactly what areas are wasteful and why they need to be cut. And you need to make the case that the money saved will benefit the middle class, something you've done a progressively poorer job at since the mid-90s. People are less interested in 'small' or 'big' government these days than whether government works, something which even obvious liberals like Obama have exploited so brilliantly.
Governor PiT
Robert Stark
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2009, 05:34:52 PM »

I am not Populist, I am not a libertarian. I am a conservative. I will not let either take us over at the expense of the other. But if I have to choose I will choose the later. Everytime I hear Ron Paulites talk of "kicking out the Neocons(There term for Evans and Strong military)" or Huck people talking of kicking out the "Greedy Rich loving people" it makes me sick. They have no idea what they are talking about. Whats worse its a false debate that doesn't exist. 60% ot 70% of Republicans and Socially and Fiscally conservative. The rest are either populists or liberatarian leaning Reps or Moderate to liberal Reps like Snowe or Collins. All are welcomed in my book cause I believe that we need a big tent. I just get PO whenever either side talks of kicking out the other. I get most pissed about Populists cause they pose the greater risk via Huckabee. Most Libertarians don't want to kick out populists just prevent them from kicking them out and get a chance to run thinks since they think Big Gov;t has been dominating the party which isn't exactly innaccurate either.

I can related to Ron Paul and Huck to some degree on those issues. The Neo-cons and the big money interest are the worst elements within the Republican Party. The religious right is dangerous because of their alliance with the www.Neoconzionistthreat.com . The Republican Party needs Populism AND Libertarianism.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2009, 07:15:38 PM »

Specter is too, but the GOP is watering at the mouth to get him primaried and ultimately lose the PA Senate seat. That's the problem right now. The country as a whole is moving left on social issues and the GOP is trying to move right and rid themselves of anyone who may support abortion, civil unions, etc... before long we won't be a viable party. The younger generation, especially, is very liberal on social issues. There's no way we can attract them if we continue to make abortion, gays and such the main issues. We can still have them as policy for our party, but we need to focus on economics and why lower spending and smaller government is ultimately better for the nation than the big government plans of the Democrats. Eventually harping about a constitutional ban on gay marriage, overturning Roe v wade etc will draw the interest of no one, especially when 1/3 of the GOP is pro-choice already.

Where did you get that?? And why do you keep repeating it?

That is a "pro choice" talking point and a lie.
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2009, 07:43:16 PM »

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2009, 01:25:17 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2009, 01:37:07 PM by pbrower2a »

I am not Populist, I am not a libertarian. I am a conservative. I will not let either take us over at the expense of the other. But if I have to choose I will choose the later. Everytime I hear Ron Paulites talk of "kicking out the Neocons(There term for Evans and Strong military)" or Huck people talking of kicking out the "Greedy Rich loving people" it makes me sick. They have no idea what they are talking about. Whats worse its a false debate that doesn't exist. 60% ot 70% of Republicans and Socially and Fiscally conservative. The rest are either populists or liberatarian leaning Reps or Moderate to liberal Reps like Snowe or Collins. All are welcomed in my book cause I believe that we need a big tent. I just get PO whenever either side talks of kicking out the other. I get most pissed about Populists cause they pose the greater risk via Huckabee. Most Libertarians don't want to kick out populists just prevent them from kicking them out and get a chance to run thinks since they think Big Gov;t has been dominating the party which isn't exactly innaccurate either.

I agree with this, but it makes me pretty angry when so called "conservatives" try to rid the party of moderates because they are moderates. The Republican Party wasn't dominant for generations because it was made up entirely of right wingers. It upsets me nowadays when people like Arlen Specter are targeted by his own party because he isn't "conservative enough." We will never return to power if we continue to harbor that kind of attitude. I'm not a conservative on all issues, but I am a Republican. It insults me when someone within my own party calls me a "RINO" or not a real conservative because I may believe in a woman's right to chose or background checks for guns.

We do need to be all inclusive, because that's the way the GOP was before. We had the moderate liberals in the North, conservatives in the south, and libertarians out west. Right now, those groups have been labeled as "evil" and targeted. The Hanity's and the like go on tirades against them. If they have their way, the GOP will be a regional party that can only win in Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, West Virginia, etc.. IE, the Democratic Party in the 1950s. This could be our future.

Disagreement on one state, but a big one:

The fast-growing Latino population bodes ill for the GOP in Texas, and the African-American minority, still large, isn't going away and isn't going Republican.  Texas is also becoming much more urban despite the image of wide-open spaces... but people in such metropolises as Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, and El Paso are going to vote increasingly like residents of Chicago than like residents of Lufkin. Urbanites need big government spending just to make life tolerable. 

Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2009, 06:48:03 PM »

officepark, I'm waiting for a response here...
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies