If the GOP trends populist...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:25:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  If the GOP trends populist...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: If the GOP trends populist...  (Read 5028 times)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 15, 2009, 09:24:07 PM »

If the GOP trends populist, and the new generations of the party become more socially liberal, will they be more or less the Democrats? discuss please.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 09:36:15 PM »

They'll be basically the Democrats under Truman - I believe the socially conservative wing of the GOP to be about sixty years behind the times; there probably remains a not-insignificant minority of hardliners who are not yet comfortable about desegregation, though they will die off soon.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 09:47:33 PM »

I think one faction of the GOP that is small but will gain alot more support and power within the party over the next 8-15 years is the Libertarians as their ideas have alot of support among many of the younger activists within the GOP.

However I think the Democratic Party due to demographic changes and varyng other trends will move to become like the British Labour Party over the same time frame.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 10:09:04 PM »

The Libertarians are the future of the party. It is the only waty the GOP can survive into the modern era.

Quote from Ronald Reagan himself:

The core of conservatism is libertarianism
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 12:48:53 AM »
« Edited: January 16, 2009, 12:51:17 AM by I could not think of a good user name »

Republicans becoming libertarians means that basically, they surrender to Democrats on half of the issues. Those who talk about Republicans becoming more "libertarian" or more "moderate" want liberal party A and liberal party B.

Those who talk about Republicans becoming libertarians believe that on half of the issues, voters should have no choice in policies between the major parties.

Those who talk about them becoming "moderates" want voters to choose only between the more moderate and more extremist party, but only so that both can implement the same liberal policies in the end.

Both the "libertarians" and the "moderates" want the left wing to capture both of the major parties, so that basically the US becomes a one party state.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 12:50:56 AM »
« Edited: January 16, 2009, 12:52:44 AM by Einzige »

Uh, no. Libertarians and social leftists certainly disagree on how to accomplish their social goals, and you sound laughably hackish calling them "left-wing" when most bog-standard libertarian purists would have economic scores of 9.0+ or better.

A social leftist could very well support gun control. A libertarian most certainly not. A DLC-type would be in favor of law-and-order programs. A libertarian despises such nanny state tactics. Etc., etc.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 10:07:10 AM »

Libertarianism is a sick joke on the face of humanity.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 12:36:50 PM »

The only good the populist move would do for the GOP would be to alienate the fiscal conservatives/business wing of the party. We may attract Hispanics in the long run, but if it takes moving left, then I'll become an Independent. I would hope a major third party would arise in that situation so free-market people would have a party. Right now, neither party is championing those ideas, though the Republicans seem to be attempting to reshape themselves. It will be easier once Bush leaves office.
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 07:25:43 PM »

Both the "libertarians" and the "moderates" want the left wing to capture both of the major parties, so that basically the US becomes a one party state.

Oh no, he's onto us... Fezzy, go get the car ready, I'll phone HQ.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 08:02:33 PM »

Oh no, he's onto us... Fezzy, go get the car ready, I'll phone HQ.

Woah....easy there, tiger. I wonder what he would do if the GOP trended more libertarian or populist?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 09:24:49 PM »

I am not Populist, I am not a libertarian. I am a conservative. I will not let either take us over at the expense of the other. But if I have to choose I will choose the later. Everytime I hear Ron Paulites talk of "kicking out the Neocons(There term for Evans and Strong military)" or Huck people talking of kicking out the "Greedy Rich loving people" it makes me sick. They have no idea what they are talking about. Whats worse its a false debate that doesn't exist. 60% ot 70% of Republicans and Socially and Fiscally conservative. The rest are either populists or liberatarian leaning Reps or Moderate to liberal Reps like Snowe or Collins. All are welcomed in my book cause I believe that we need a big tent. I just get PO whenever either side talks of kicking out the other. I get most pissed about Populists cause they pose the greater risk via Huckabee. Most Libertarians don't want to kick out populists just prevent them from kicking them out and get a chance to run thinks since they think Big Gov;t has been dominating the party which isn't exactly innaccurate either.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 09:26:43 PM »

I am not Populist, I am not a libertarian. I am a conservative.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 10:01:36 PM »

They'll be basically the Democrats under Truman - I believe the socially conservative wing of the GOP to be about sixty years behind the times; there probably remains a not-insignificant minority of hardliners who are not yet comfortable about desegregation, though they will die off soon.

Thurmond was running against Truman because he didn't like the civil rights plank of the 1948 DNC.

Anyways, I think the influence of libertarians are vastly overrated by people on this forum.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 10:43:26 PM »

I am not Populist, I am not a libertarian. I am a conservative. I will not let either take us over at the expense of the other. But if I have to choose I will choose the later. Everytime I hear Ron Paulites talk of "kicking out the Neocons(There term for Evans and Strong military)" or Huck people talking of kicking out the "Greedy Rich loving people" it makes me sick. They have no idea what they are talking about. Whats worse its a false debate that doesn't exist. 60% ot 70% of Republicans and Socially and Fiscally conservative. The rest are either populists or liberatarian leaning Reps or Moderate to liberal Reps like Snowe or Collins. All are welcomed in my book cause I believe that we need a big tent. I just get PO whenever either side talks of kicking out the other. I get most pissed about Populists cause they pose the greater risk via Huckabee. Most Libertarians don't want to kick out populists just prevent them from kicking them out and get a chance to run thinks since they think Big Gov;t has been dominating the party which isn't exactly innaccurate either.

I agree with this, but it makes me pretty angry when so called "conservatives" try to rid the party of moderates because they are moderates. The Republican Party wasn't dominant for generations because it was made up entirely of right wingers. It upsets me nowadays when people like Arlen Specter are targeted by his own party because he isn't "conservative enough." We will never return to power if we continue to harbor that kind of attitude. I'm not a conservative on all issues, but I am a Republican. It insults me when someone within my own party calls me a "RINO" or not a real conservative because I may believe in a woman's right to chose or background checks for guns.

We do need to be all inclusive, because that's the way the GOP was before. We had the moderate liberals in the North, conservatives in the south, and libertarians out west. Right now, those groups have been labeled as "evil" and targeted. The Hanity's and the like go on tirades against them. If they have their way, the GOP will be a regional party that can only win in Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, West Virginia, etc.. IE, the Democratic Party in the 1950s. This could be our future.

RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 11:13:48 PM »

I agree with this, but it makes me pretty angry when so called "conservatives" try to rid the party of moderates because they are moderates. The Republican Party wasn't dominant for generations because it was made up entirely of right wingers. It upsets me nowadays when people like Arlen Specter are targeted by his own party because he isn't "conservative enough." We will never return to power if we continue to harbor that kind of attitude. I'm not a conservative on all issues, but I am a Republican. It insults me when someone within my own party calls me a "RINO" or not a real conservative because I may believe in a woman's right to chose or background checks for guns.

We do need to be all inclusive, because that's the way the GOP was before. We had the moderate liberals in the North, conservatives in the south, and libertarians out west. Right now, those groups have been labeled as "evil" and targeted. The Hanity's and the like go on tirades against them. If they have their way, the GOP will be a regional party that can only win in Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, West Virginia, etc.. IE, the Democratic Party in the 1950s. This could be our future.

Yes, you are a RINO because "woman's right to choose" is a sugarcoating talking point that only liberals use. As with all such terms, it is a term for which I have zero tolerance.
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009, 11:19:05 PM »

Yes, you are a RINO because "woman's right to choose" is a sugarcoating talking point that only liberals use. As with all such terms, it is a term for which I have zero tolerance.

Ladies and gentlemen, the future of the party.

Good post, Duke.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 11:20:37 PM »

One third of the Republican Party is pro-choice. Would you rather all of us leave? Would it please you that the GOP become a regional party? I don't know about you, but I'd rather have economic conservatives in Washington. I couldn't care less about social issues in the long run. I'm not a woman and abortion does not effect me, so I don't care what they do. It's their body.

It's attitudes like yours that bother me. We will never be a viable party again if the majority wants to ostracize those who don't follow the RNC talking points to a "T."
Jacobtm

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2009, 11:31:45 PM »

I wonder how far into the center of the country the GOP will have to recede before a party in opposition to the Democrats pops up where the GOP has fled. All you need is corrupt Democrats who make it through their primaries, and that's sure to start happening as Democrats gain hegemonic control over more and more areas.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 03:56:26 PM »

Thanks in advance for the extra seats we will win as a result of this GOP platform.  republican atiitudes like this winning Democratic seats every day Smiley
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 04:03:21 PM »

Smash, Fezzy, and Duke are right.

The GOP no longer has a house member from New England, eventually it won't have any senators from there either, its strength in the mid-atlantic is declining. The decline may have begun in the Upper South, and the Four Corners aren't looking so hot either.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, 04:06:13 PM »

So do you believe that all people who support a "woman's right to choose" should vote and become Democrats?
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2009, 03:37:35 PM »

I feel like the earth is sepating beneath my feet. A wide cravase thats get wider and wider and I am straddling both sides trying to pull it together. If we are to be a big tent party we must learn respect differences between us and not go crazy when someone disagrees with you. I agree with officepark on Abortion I do think it "woman's right to choose" is a red hearing. Don't beleive me, just look up this Freedom of choice bill that would remove every restriction on abortion including making partial birth abortion legal again. However we must learn to respect differences within the party, that dosn't mean surrenduring your views just respecting others.

Matt Damon™
donut4mccain

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2009, 04:05:31 PM »

Abortion bans are horrible and there is no justification for ever restricting it. Honestly, I'd like it if proposing sexist measures like that or other such sexism would get one the same social ostracism as an avowed nazi would.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2009, 06:05:58 PM »

Abortion bans are horrible and there is no justification for ever restricting it. Honestly, I'd like it if proposing sexist measures like that or other such sexism would get one the same social ostracism as an avowed nazi would.

So pouring water over the head of a terrorist, bad. Drilling a hole into the head of an unborn baby and sucking its brains out, or burning it in acid, sure no problem. The left considers only one of these to constitute torture.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2009, 06:24:19 PM »

It's not a 'baby' when it's inside the mother. Try again.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies