looking for 1936-1939 French by-election results
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:59:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  looking for 1936-1939 French by-election results
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: looking for 1936-1939 French by-election results  (Read 1181 times)
rob in cal
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 12, 2009, 05:24:22 PM »

I've often wondered who would have won French parliamentary elections had they been held in 1938 (say post-Munich) or before the outbreak of the war.  I believe Daladier pushed through a PR election law in July of 1939, so that would have changed matters greatly.  Anyway, I'd like to see some info if anyone has it on French by elections up to the outbreak of the war.  I'm guessing the Radicals were no longer in an electoral alliance with the leftist parties after 1937 in any of these elections.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 05:50:09 PM »

It's already a bit of a nightmare to find data on the general elections, since many sites offer conflicting data on that. A quick Google search doesn't link to any results for by-elections in that period, although some articles mention by-elections. I would suspect some stuff would be hidden on dusty shelves of departmental archives somewhere. The only by-elections in the Third Republic often discussed are those in 1871, but only because they were massive (something like 115 seats).

One thing I do know, Paul Faure, general secretary of the SFIO, was elected in a Saône-et-Loire by-election in '38, against a Radical-endorsed candidate.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies