Idiots offended by being called mountain climbers!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:04:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Idiots offended by being called mountain climbers!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Idiots offended by being called mountain climbers!  (Read 2071 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 11, 2009, 02:31:55 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=91187.0
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 02:33:10 PM »

in before the lock
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 02:47:08 PM »

Certainly not as uncalled-for as the BBC Article.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 02:57:54 PM »

Why was it locked?  We can't make fun of foolish dead people now?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 02:58:18 PM »

I think it's a class issue.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 03:02:21 PM »

We can't make fun of the ridiculously rich?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 03:06:18 PM »

We cant make fun of anyone here, or you'll be thrown in a gulag and never seen again. If you go round murdering though, just a couple of years in gaol will do...
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 03:08:44 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2009, 03:23:15 PM by afleitch »

It's a taste issue.

Just because it's easy for people to sit on a forum and make fun of two mountaineers who have died in an accident doesn't mean that we should. If anyone is making light of it because 'they are rich lolz' then that's just pathetic.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 04:05:41 PM »

If anyone is making light of it because 'they are rich lolz' then that's just pathetic.
Buying yourself a rather tastelessly gushing obituary on the Beeb isn't possible to the descendants of unknowns (or even D-list celebs) from the lower 98% of the population.

Al taking sufficient offense to that idiot piece to post it here is probably class-related as well. As to your taking his offense to his thead, the reasons are slightly more opaque, but knowing my Britishers Tongue taste played less of a role than intra-moiety solidarity.
[/offensive]
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 04:23:03 PM »

If anyone is making light of it because 'they are rich lolz' then that's just pathetic.
Buying yourself a rather tastelessly gushing obituary on the Beeb isn't possible to the descendants of unknowns (or even D-list celebs) from the lower 98% of the population.

Al taking sufficient offense to that idiot piece to post it here is probably class-related as well. As to your taking his offense to his thead, the reasons are slightly more opaque, but knowing my Britishers Tongue taste played less of a role than intra-moiety solidarity.
[/offensive]

I don't think you can 'buy' tributes on the BBC. These sorts of tributes appear on the BBC all the time and for all sorts of people (and incomes) 'Tributes paid to 73 year old grandmother who died in house fire' that sort of thing are on the BBC all the time.

I my offense was not opaque, or was it anything to do with some intra-class solidiarity. I'm not of their class. I'm essentially working class, those are my roots and I hold down a low paid civil service job which might, just might conceivably nudge my chin into the lower middle class Smiley I live in the same housing estate where my grandparents lived 200 yards from the mines they worked. The idea I'm indulging in 'intra-moiety solidarity' is absurd.

I just believed it was in poor taste to make fun at an obituary to two people who died, before their parents had even flown to see their bodies.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 04:32:41 PM »

I don't think you can 'buy' tributes on the BBC.
You certainly shouldn't be! (Not that I thought it was *literally* bought.)
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Well if so, I've never seen one. (I am of course assuming an earlier article on the deaths themselves, with these kinds of pieces adding no value whatsoever? Might want to check my assumptions on this piece as well... Nah. Too lazy.)

Which was precisely why I put "moiety" instead. The Class structure of Britain is pretty complex after all. (Though still so simple that one can actually make an attempt at describing it. Which means it's one of the least complex in the world. Grin ) You're on the same side of the biggest of the numerous curtains. (Private school education is a major giveaway here. As is political party, of course - though merely voting for that particular party isn't, really.)

Pointing out that these deaths are hardly surprising, and that the obituary was in poor taste, is not actually quite the same thing as "making fun".
Whether it was necessary is of course another matter entirely...
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 04:36:47 PM »

I just believed it was in poor taste to make fun at an obituary to two people who died, before their parents had even flown to see their bodies.
If they had died in a house firing doing nothing wrong I'd agree with you.  I don't hold much sympathy for people that die doing extremely dangerous things.  Even less for people doing something only a very small percentage of people can afford to do.

(not that I blame them either.  If I was wealthy I know I'd be putting my life in danger more frequently than I do now.  The bum sleeping on the railroad tracks and rich guy who flies his Leer into a mountain both have comedic value, "bum fights" and mansion arson don't.  Ok, maybe a little.)
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 04:50:04 PM »

Which was precisely why I put "moiety" instead. The Class structure of Britain is pretty complex after all. (Though still so simple that one can actually make an attempt at describing it. Which means it's one of the least complex in the world. Grin ) You're on the same side of the biggest of the numerous curtains. (Private school education is a major giveaway here. As is political party, of course - though merely voting for that particular party isn't, really.)

I went to a private school on part scholarship/charity, part Assisted Places, part fees. I went because they wanted me and I didn't want to go to the designated local school to face rather bigger and taller bullies who had beaten the sh-t out of me at primary Smiley Because I was really psychologically f-cked up as a result. The school had a huge 'working class' uptake (60 to 40) because it was charity dependent and attached to the Church.

It's easy for people to make judgments (not that I'm saying you are! Just a general point here) based on these places or the people who go to them without knowing much about either.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 04:50:30 PM »

Whether it was necessary is of course another matter entirely...

Last night, 48 people from four different rescue teams had to bring two climbers off Snowdon. Winds around the mountains have been over 100mph for days and things are quite icy up there right now. Some of the rescuers were seriously hurt.
Warnings have been issued about climbing in this sort of weather, but a fair few people go up when it's obvious that it's really fucking stupid to do so anyway.

The story about the two deaths is actually linked to on the main page of the "international" version of the BBC News site, btw.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 04:52:45 PM »

If they had died in a house firing doing nothing wrong I'd agree with you.  I don't hold much sympathy for people that die doing extremely dangerous things.  Even less for people doing something only a very small percentage of people can afford to do.

It's about having sympathy for their families and those they left behind. You couldn't honestly say that if another Space Shuttle (heaven forbid) blew up, full of people doing an 'extremely dangerous thing' you wouldn't have sympathy for those left on the ground who have to pick up the pieces?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 05:10:28 PM »

Those idiots shouldn't have been climbing mountains in Europe in the middle of winter. That is all.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 10:14:14 PM »

It's about having sympathy for their families and those they left behind. You couldn't honestly say that if another Space Shuttle (heaven forbid) blew up, full of people doing an 'extremely dangerous thing' you wouldn't have sympathy for those left on the ground who have to pick up the pieces?

At least the people on a Shuttle are doing something useful unlike climbing a mountain in the middle of winter. One can argue whether a Shuttle flight is sufficiently useful to warrant the risk involved, but at least it wasn't a recreational jaunt which is about all that most mountain climbing is.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 01:21:46 AM »

These guys weren't rich, if I'm thinking of the right guys. They went to a prestigious school in England on scholarships and went from magnetic pole to magnetic pole on chump change. RIP.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2009, 11:03:11 AM »

Not a lot of it.
At least with cosmonauts, everybody involved *knows* they're basically committing suicide on taxpayers' expense, though. With mountaineers, as Al points out, that's sadly often not the case...

I went to a private school on part scholarship/charity, part Assisted Places, part fees.
So?
I don't think that's particularly relevant. Ruling castes coopt new blood and satisfy their conscience in one go by letting a few scholarship boys into the Public Schools, nothing new to see here. -_- Yeah, I understand you didn't exactly go to Eton or Winchester, which makes this not entirely fair. Cheers, mate. 
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2009, 04:13:30 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2009, 04:17:01 PM by afleitch »

I went to a private school on part scholarship/charity, part Assisted Places, part fees.
So?
I don't think that's particularly relevant. Ruling castes coopt new blood and satisfy their conscience in one go by letting a few scholarship boys into the Public Schools, nothing new to see here. -_- Yeah, I understand you didn't exactly go to Eton or Winchester, which makes this not entirely fair. Cheers, mate. 

You know nothing of my world Smiley My school was seriously under funded and resourced when I started. It was a rollercoaster ride of out of date text books, creaky floors and 60 year old desks Grin
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2009, 12:17:33 PM »

Nothing wrong with 60 year old desks, as long as their large enough and still holding upright. We had mostly 50 year old desks. Chairs, too. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies