"Secret Ballot Amendment" Tracker - FINAL UPDATE
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 09:27:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  "Secret Ballot Amendment" Tracker - FINAL UPDATE
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: "Secret Ballot Amendment" Tracker - FINAL UPDATE  (Read 5838 times)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2009, 02:39:05 AM »

Looks like a new Aye vote in the Midwest has the amendment passing in one region now.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2009, 02:57:23 AM »

Because the constitution says three-fourths of the regions have to approve, is that rounding up to 4 out of the 5 or down to only 3?

That would be rounding up to 4.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2009, 01:31:29 AM »

The amendment continued to remain unpopular today, with only one vote being cast (and it was cast against the amendment); however, it remains passing in the Pacific, and could easily pass all of the other regions, with the exception of the Mideast, where it looks like it is going to fail.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2009, 12:26:05 AM »

The amendment gained ground today - 1 vote was cast, and that pushed it into the passing category for the Pacific.  2 regions are now passing the amendment.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2009, 12:35:19 AM »

Could you include the number of days remaining for each region's voting booth? It looks like general lack of awareness and activity will kill the bill more than anything else.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2009, 02:00:23 AM »

Could you include the number of days remaining for each region's voting booth? It looks like general lack of awareness and activity will kill the bill more than anything else.

Done.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2009, 09:27:12 AM »

I found this a particularly difficult vote to cast. While I believe my concerns about the potential for corruption were assuaged by the fact that two separate people must be messaged with votes, I am a little concerned about the bureaucracy involved (the sheer number of votes and therefore PMs is disconcerting) and this concern was reinforced by the current SoFA AND the current AG both voting against the Bill. I am also concerned that this Bill fails to adequately introduce an actual secret ballot - as long as votes will be revealed after the election, we will not have a secret ballot (yes, I understand that removing that would increase my fears of corruption, but that's the dichotomy). In the end, I looked at everyone who cast votes in each region, because I figured that even in a close election, the people I trust to make sound decisions in relation to this would be probably leaning one way or the other quite strongly - however I noticed that people I trust on procedural matters were fairly divided themselves (although leaning slightly towards aye). Anyway, I guess if this fails, it can always be repealled. Of course, if someone can give me a strong argument against the Bill, I'd possibly change my vote.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2009, 01:11:06 PM »

With Smid's "AYE" vote, the amendment is now very close to passing.  All that it will take is 2 AYE votes in the Southeast.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2009, 02:39:41 PM »

The amendment might still pass despite only getting about 50% support, as it's not racking up a big margin in any region. That is in itself unusual.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2009, 04:23:57 PM »

With Smid's "AYE" vote, the amendment is now very close to passing.  All that it will take is 2 AYE votes in the Southeast.
Goddammit, time to rev up the machine Smiley
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2009, 04:26:48 PM »

Goddammit, time to rev up the machine Smiley

Well, the honorable Southeast Governor just cast his NAY vote.  So it'll now take 3 votes there to pass this thing.  I think we're close to safe to being able to say if failed.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2009, 01:48:47 AM »

With only a couple votes cast today, the Amendment made no gains, and it's not looking too good for the amendment.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2009, 02:25:53 AM »

That sucks. Sad
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2009, 06:56:16 PM »

This is looking great, still three votes shy in the Mideast and Dirty South
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2009, 07:53:55 PM »

I have voted "Yup" in concordance with the philosophy of the party of which I am a member.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2009, 11:21:32 PM »

The Amendment made no major gains today, only receiving support in either regions where it was already passing or the Mideast, where it's down so far that it would take a small miracel to come back.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2009, 11:28:55 PM »

Things look good.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2009, 02:37:08 AM »

And it's officially failed.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2009, 03:15:24 AM »

Extremely disappointing. This won't be the last time this is put before the people.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2009, 03:38:50 AM »

An incredibly close result. I think this shall be back on the agenda at some point. I'm not really fussed one way or another, though.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2009, 04:43:28 AM »

Unfortunate. My prediction was about right, though I underestimated RPP strength in the Mideast.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2009, 08:41:21 AM »

Looks like the Amendment got a majority vote in favour as well (18-17).
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2009, 10:22:12 AM »

Unfortunate. My prediction was about right, though I underestimated RPP strength in the Mideast.

This is both true and untrue. We didn't have an official party position on this amendment and so technically the votes of RPPers in this ballot is no different from a group of independents. That said, two thirds of my party voted against the amendment and voted against it 1-4 in the Mideast, sealing its fate in that region and therefore in Atlasia as a whole. Of course, the Democratic Alliance split 2-2-1 in the Mideast, and if votes had changed there, the amendment would have passed. Nationally, the SDP also split on it, so accusing the RPP of defeating the amendment might be stretching it a little, when it seems that all the major parties had voters going both ways on this.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2009, 10:36:50 AM »

This is both true and untrue. We didn't have an official party position on this amendment and so technically the votes of RPPers in this ballot is no different from a group of independents. That said, two thirds of my party voted against the amendment and voted against it 1-4 in the Mideast, sealing its fate in that region and therefore in Atlasia as a whole. Of course, the Democratic Alliance split 2-2-1 in the Mideast, and if votes had changed there, the amendment would have passed. Nationally, the SDP also split on it, so accusing the RPP of defeating the amendment might be stretching it a little, when it seems that all the major parties had voters going both ways on this.

I wasn't necessarily accusing the RPP of defeating the amendment, I'm aware that there wasn't an official party position. But the RPP membership opposed the amendment significantly moreso than any other party grouping, as was to be expected. Though, in fairness, the moderates within the RPP (pretty much to a man) either approved or abstained on the amendment.

My point (very possibly ill-expressed) was simply that I hadn't noticed up until now the relative strength of the RPP within the Mideast and so I underestimated somewhat the probability of a no vote from that region, given the expected tendency of RPPers to vote against the amendment.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2009, 10:45:15 AM »

I wasn't necessarily accusing the RPP of defeating the amendment, I'm aware that there wasn't an official party position. But the RPP membership opposed the amendment significantly moreso than any other party grouping, as was to be expected. Though, in fairness, the moderates within the RPP (pretty much to a man) either approved or abstained on the amendment.

My point (very possibly ill-expressed) was simply that I hadn't noticed up until now the relative strength of the RPP within the Mideast and so I underestimated somewhat the probability of a no vote from that region, given the expected tendency of RPPers to vote against the amendment.

Yes, two-thirds of our party voted against it, and yes, you're quite right about the gain in party strength in the Mideast. Everyone seems to consider us a regional party - in that most seem to think we only exist in the south, but we're gaining strength and are realistically the chief right-of-centre party in existence. We comprise of moderates, conservatives, libertarians and populists - we're a very broad church, but we certainly are growing in regions outside of the south. With the rise of the SDP on the left and the decline in the centre of the NLC, we're probably becoming the dominant centre-right party and the primary opposition to the SDP.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies