Opinion of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:04:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Opinion of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
Very positive

Positive

Neutral

Negative

Very negative

An abomination

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: Opinion of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints  (Read 5970 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 01, 2009, 01:23:37 PM »

?
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 01:27:06 PM »

Started as a cult by a con-man, but it's grown into a more respectable religion (as respectable as organized religion can be, at any rate). I just wish the membership weren't so intent on dragging America back to the Eisenhower administration. Very negative.
Rild
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 04:15:23 PM »

Pointless, stupid Christian cult founded by a liar whose successor was a polygamist mass murderer. Currently a bastion of wrongheaded, backwards thought.

Abomination.
LanceMcSteel

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 04:17:35 PM »

Worthless bunch of religious theocrats, who are worse than Baptists as they support polygamy and think their savior was on this planet a mere 150 years ago.

lol
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 04:23:50 PM »

quite silly (and scary, at some points in the past) but dreadfully interesting to study/read about.  I killed like four hours at Barnes & Noble one day reading 2-3 books about Mormonism.

ps Brigham Young was a scary motherer
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 05:25:21 PM »

Generally pretty negative, though they have contributed more to intellectual thought than the Southern fundies, despite their even more fascist religious views.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 10:24:23 PM »

Pretty negative, yeah.
Daniel Z
Switzerland

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 02:42:05 AM »

neutral, I'm not a religion hater and the modern day church is more or less respectable.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 03:04:33 AM »

neutral, I'm not a religion hater and the modern day church is more or less respectable.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 04:52:08 AM »

Somewhat less ridiculous than Scientology, but slightly more ridiculous than legit Christianity.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 11:55:23 PM »

I found the Book of Mormon unreadable myth.

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 12:38:47 AM »

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints circa 1840?  Dangerous personality cult (though one that certainly did not deserve the extralegal killing of its founder and exile into the wilderness).  LDS today?  Mostly harmless bunch and probably the highest rate of Decent People I Know In A Demographic Group/People I Know In A Demographic Group.  Mormons tend to be a bit old-fashioned, but usually in a charming and quaint way, instead of the slightly creepy way some Baptist/evangelical groups come off.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 01:48:21 AM »

Largely neutral.

Slightly less offensive than the fundamentalists who hate them so despite having very similar social views.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 02:19:32 AM »

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints circa 1840?  Dangerous personality cult (though one that certainly did not deserve the extralegal killing of its founder and exile into the wilderness).  LDS today?  Mostly harmless bunch and probably the highest rate of Decent People I Know In A Demographic Group/People I Know In A Demographic Group.  Mormons tend to be a bit old-fashioned, but usually in a charming and quaint way, instead of the slightly creepy way some Baptist/evangelical groups come off.

I agree with this. Mormons in general have done a much better job of embracing intellectual thought than most modern religious conservatives.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 12:06:19 PM »

I don't like to crap on any one particular religion. I'm an equal opportunity offender. Some of their tenants of faith are rather kooky though.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 02:55:58 PM »

I was creeped out when I went to Salt Lake City by the people, but if we all treated each other like Mormons do, we'd be a whole lot better off.  Plus, I live a similar to lifestyle to sincere Mormons, so I'll say positive.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 03:11:29 PM »

An abomination, of course. Utah never should have been allowed into the US with a Mormon majority.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 03:12:04 PM »

abomination
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 03:19:26 PM »

Positive. They have problems in their history and founding of course, but that applies to most religions. At the very least they tend to have quite a bit more self-discipline than practitioners of other religions do on average, and they tend to be pretty nice people too.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 09:14:23 PM »

At the very least they tend to have quite a bit more self-discipline than practitioners of other religions do on average

At the very least, followers of Taliban-style Islam tend to have quite a bit more self-discipline than practicioners of other religions do on average. Sounds like a positive to me!
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 09:16:20 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2009, 09:18:08 PM by SE Magistrate John Dibble »

At the very least they tend to have quite a bit more self-discipline than practitioners of other religions do on average

At the very least, followers of Taliban-style Islam tend to have quite a bit more self-discipline than practicioners of other religions do on average. Sounds like a positive to me!

I note you left out the last part of what I said.

Besides, the Taliban are the type that let themselves get swept up in emotions such as anger - hardly a model of self-discipline as far as I'm concerned.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2009, 09:29:35 PM »

Kinder, gentler theocracy? They're trying to convert you, dude.

Here's what life in a theocratic Mormon state (for example, Utah Territory in the 19th century) would be like:

* Alcohol and tobacco banned
* LDS doctrine is official state faith
* Blending of secular and spiritual leadership (LDS leaders acted much like medieval Popes, issuing directives in both realms)
* Intolerance of (and sometimes overt violence against) "gentiles"
* White supremacy encoded in Church and (therefore) state law
* Pervasive woman-hating; Mormon men could (and some still do!) "possess" more than one wife, like so many cattle

Before the United States took a hand, that is where their iron "self-discipline" brought them in the 19th century.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 09:47:06 PM »

Kinder, gentler theocracy? They're trying to convert you, dude.

Here's what life in a theocratic Mormon state (for example, Utah Territory in the 19th century) would be like:

* Alcohol and tobacco banned
* LDS doctrine is official state faith
* Blending of secular and spiritual leadership (LDS leaders acted much like medieval Popes, issuing directives in both realms)
* Intolerance of (and sometimes overt violence against) "gentiles"
* White supremacy encoded in Church and (therefore) state law
* Pervasive woman-hating; Mormon men could (and some still do!) "possess" more than one wife, like so many cattle

Before the United States took a hand, that is where their iron "self-discipline" brought them in the 19th century.

Once again, you totally ignore something I said. Let me refresh your memory, since you can't seem to be bothered to read a mere two or three posts up:

They have problems in their history and founding of course, but that applies to most religions.

My given opinion is in regards to the church and its followers now, not in the 19th century. If you want to live in the past then that's your business, but I prefer living in the present.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 10:45:32 PM »

Neutral

But one of the most interesting religions out there.  Certainly, in my opinion, the only truly "American" religion.
frihetsivrare
Volksliberalist

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -7.13

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2009, 03:46:50 AM »

I voted positive, but I found the truth about their faith through being a member for a short period of time.  Now I say an abomination.

All the speakers do is talk about how their church is the only true church and that Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God.  Mormons are easily the creepiest group I have ever been around.  One young woman at church sounded like a television presenter from North Korea when she talked about the religion.

Until 1978 black people were not allowed to have the priesthood.  According to Joseph Smith, black people could not choose between following Jesus and following Satan in the pre-existence.

The LDS church tells members to study religion only from sources with an LDS point of view.  They always fearmonger about the apostacy.  Like many other religions the Mormons take advantage of peoples' emotions.  They are actually worse because the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants and Pearl of Great Price have no proof whatsoever.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies