Office of the Attorney General
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:54:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of the Attorney General
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Office of the Attorney General  (Read 5695 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 30, 2008, 10:41:05 AM »

This thread will serve as a place for me to make public statements as Attorney General.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 10:42:53 AM »
« Edited: December 30, 2008, 10:46:09 AM by Attorney General Franzl »

The previous AG already did this, but I'm going to repeat it to make sure everything is done properly.

Ben Constine, you are under prosecution for voter fraud (CCJA, Section 1, Clause 3).

You have the right to:

• A speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the region wherein the crime shall have been committed.
  • Freedom from subjection for the same offense to twice being put in jeopardy of life or limb.
  • Freedom from compulsion to be a witness against yourself.
  • Information of the nature and cause of the accusation.
  • Confrontation with the witnesses against you.
  • Compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in your favor.
  • The assistance of counsel for your defense in the form of an upstanding, active citizen of Atlasia.
  • Waiver of your right to legal counsel.
  • Appeal.

I intend to make my case as soon as possible.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 10:49:25 AM »

First of all, many congratulations on taking over at the DoJ. I wish you the best of luck in this position, though at least in the beginning I will try to make your job incredibly difficult

I should like to address the following to the Attorney General on behalf of my client: It is my belief that much of the evidence collected against my client is tainted by the alleged criminal actions of the previous AG. Much of the evidence against my client was initially collected through criminal activity (i.e. criminal hacking of benconstine's account) and thus disqualifies all evidence collected against him stemming from that.

I would encourage my learned friend to drop this case so as to avoid a complicated trial that would inevitably run for weeks, probably endangering my clients right to a speedy trial.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 10:56:11 AM »

First of all, many congratulations on taking over at the DoJ. I wish you the best of luck in this position, though at least in the beginning I will try to make your job incredibly difficult

I should like to address the following to the Attorney General on behalf of my client: It is my belief that much of the evidence collected against my client is tainted by the alleged criminal actions of the previous AG. Much of the evidence against my client was initially collected through criminal activity (i.e. criminal hacking of benconstine's account) and thus disqualifies all evidence collected against him stemming from that.

I would encourage my learned friend to drop this case so as to avoid a complicated trial that would inevitably run for weeks, probably endangering my clients right to a speedy trial.

It is quite possible that some evidence was originally gained through criminal activity. Unfortunately, I have no way of finding out in what way the previous AG came to the conclusion that your client allegedly held a second account. He did however, outside of Atlasia, make a public accusation...this accusation was indeed confirmed by a moderator, and your client himself admitted that the above mentioned accusation was true.

The fact that anybody got the idea in the first place could have even been the result of pure speculation. There is no way to prove that the general idea was obtained through hacking.

Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 11:02:17 AM »

If a moderator has been checking IPs, then the moderator needs a warrant from the Supreme Court if the evidence is to be used in Atlasian Courts (of course, a mod may do whatever he needs to for the security of the forum at large). I am not aware of the Court having issued a warrant, though I invite anybody to correct me on this point. If the Court has issued a warrant with "pure speculation" as its reason, then I will undoubtedly move to suppress the evidence. No person should be subject to government searches and seizures on the basis of "pure speculation" whether it turns out to be well founded or not.

Anything my client said, having been prompted to by illegally obtained evidence, should also be suppressed. I fear you may have absolutely no evidence that the jury can actually see.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 04:20:49 PM »

Do you intend to prosecute Xahar?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 04:52:08 AM »

Yes, but one thing at a time. As of right now, though, it is my intention.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 07:34:02 AM »

You do realise that the present trial may not finish that quickly and that therefore you end up violating Xahar's right to a speedy trial?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 10:20:10 AM »

You do realise that the present trial may not finish that quickly and that therefore you end up violating Xahar's right to a speedy trial?

Don't worry. I don't intend on waiting until the end of this trial. I will be starting the other prosecution very shortly. I didn't initiate anything officially yet because I wasn't sure if Xahar was even still there, but he is, so no problem.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 11:00:20 AM »
« Edited: January 01, 2009, 11:09:45 AM by Attorney General Franzl »

And I'm ready now.

Xahar, I wish to inform you that you are under criminal prosecution for:

1.) Unlawfully taking control of an Atlas member's account without his consent (CCJA, Section 1, Clause 2)

2.) Impersonating another forum member on the Atlas Forum. (CCJA, Section 1, Clause 1)

You have the right to:

• A speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the region wherein the crime shall have been committed.
  • Freedom from subjection for the same offense to twice being put in jeopardy of life or limb.
  • Freedom from compulsion to be a witness against yourself.
  • Information of the nature and cause of the accusation.
  • Confrontation with the witnesses against you.
  • Compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in your favor.
  • The assistance of counsel for your defense in the form of an upstanding, active citizen of Atlasia.
  • Waiver of your right to legal counsel.
  • Appeal.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 04:44:28 PM »

I wish you luck in the case against constine, can't say the same for the other though. Smiley
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 06:10:43 PM »

Mr. Attorney General,
Ogis has also admitted to playing a role in Xahar accessing Ben's account. Do you plan on prosecuting him?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 06:13:17 PM »

Mr. Attorney General,
Ogis has also admitted to playing a role in Xahar accessing Ben's account. Do you plan on prosecuting him?

I am indeed considering that possibility, but it is still under investigation. I'm still uncertain on the actual legal relevance...and it is something I have to review. Rest assured I'll look into it. Smiley
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 08:08:03 AM »

I wish you luck in the case against constine, can't say the same for the other though. Smiley

I support justice in every case, regardless of who I have to prosecute.

Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 01:28:01 AM »

Do we have laws that allow for the prosecution/stripping of voting rights of trolls? The AG could definitely use such rights if they are not currently delegated as such.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 01:42:33 AM »

There's a chance the Senate will consider legislation to that effect sometime this session. The anti-trolling actions by our benevolent moderators have lessened the importance of it though.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 01:44:55 AM »

There's a chance the Senate will consider legislation to that effect sometime this session. The anti-trolling actions by our benevolent moderators have lessened the importance of it though.

Such legislation is necessary, whether the current crisis has passed or not. I hope action is taken sooner rather than later.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 01:49:08 AM »

Sorry, but I withdrew that legislation, seeing as it would be redundant since Gustaf and Masterjedi have decided to take matters into their own hands.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2009, 01:49:38 AM »

I wasn't referencing the TBA.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2009, 02:59:32 PM »

Do we have laws that allow for the prosecution/stripping of voting rights of trolls? The AG could definitely use such rights if they are not currently delegated as such.

There is nothing I can do at this point because "trolling" has not been defined, and therefore has not yet been made a crime.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 01:27:36 PM »

Mr. Attorney General,

I am indeed considering that possibility, but it is still under investigation. I'm still uncertain on the actual legal relevance...and it is something I have to review. Rest assured I'll look into it. Smiley

I may be taking official steps shortly in this matter, however, I'm not sure if such a step is necessary or even possible considering Ogis is no longer a registered voter. Does anybody have an opinion on that?
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 02:16:40 PM »

In my capacity as a moderator I would like to inform you that Ogis24 has been permenantly banned from the forum.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 02:17:24 PM »

I approve of this message.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 03:45:34 PM »

In my capacity as a moderator I would like to inform you that Ogis24 has been permenantly banned from the forum.

Can life return to normal now? Tongue
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2009, 05:01:29 PM »

Can life return to normal now? Tongue

Are we truly rid of that rodent? Thank god indeed. Took one week less then a month(I believe he appeared around Dec 12th if I am correct). Knew that it would happen eventually.

Franzl - I don't beleive I ever got the chance to congratulate you on your appointment and confirmation as Atty Gen. I believe the office is now in good hands.   
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies