The GOP's Obama - Bob McDonnell?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:28:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  The GOP's Obama - Bob McDonnell?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The GOP's Obama - Bob McDonnell?  (Read 4975 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 29, 2008, 10:09:02 PM »

At first, it was argued that someone like Dino Rossi could be "our Obama" - someone not in a major elected office for a lengthy amount of time but an energizing, appealing figure.

Well, we know what unfortunately happened to Dino but how about the current Attorney General of Virginia - 2009 Gubernatorial nominee Bob McDonnell?

I know it seems a bit far-fetched but let's give it some thought. He obviously has to win the Gubernatorial race (which will be very difficult against Deeds or Moran). Let's assume he wins it. He takes office in January 2010. He'll get some national attention because it would be a Republican winning in a battleground state that went for Obama. He'll be 58 in 2012 with a relatively young family (his youngest will be 21 and oldest will be 31). A huge asset will be the fact that he's a Governor with really nothing to lose (especially since he can only serve one term anyway). Another plus is the fact that he is from Philadelphia!  Wink

Now the drawbacks are obvious - He will have to decide to run for President no later than a year and a half into his term but I don't know if that's really that damaging anymore. Obama had to have decided to run at roughly the same time.

I think the guy could be a serious contender. If McAuliffe is his opponent and he can score a sizable victory, look for him to be considered a rising star.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 10:35:23 PM »

Another drawback - you'd expect someone with economic historical expertise to do a lot better than someone with legal historical expertise.

During the 90's I'd agree with you more, but now that crime & law are not really important in national politics I'm going to have to say that he'll be a lot less prominent.  He might make a wonderful VP in a swing state, and he's very likely to score a cabinet appointment, but to be president he'll need a lot more national connections, fundraising prowess, etc.

I don't see him as the nominee.  Not even a dark-horse nominee.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 10:40:37 PM »

but to be president he'll need a lot more national connections, fundraising prowess, etc.

Obama didn't have that built in. He obviously had to work for it and then there's the benefit of becoming the nominee. A nobody can become a somebody. Let's see how he builds himself if he wins in 2009.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 10:48:55 PM »

Another problem: with the recession, it's going to be very difficult for most governors to do better than their predecessors.  Many governors are going to have to be cutting services and/or raising revenues and/or increasing state debt.

Anyway, it'll be hard for him to be enough a rising star to overcome the GOP establishment.  I see him as a legitimate VP contender, but winning Iowa or New Hampshire against Palin/Romney?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 10:54:08 PM »

but winning Iowa or New Hampshire against Palin/Romney?

Who knows? I don't like handicapping elections four years out (especially primary contests).

I'm really skeptical that Romney's star will continue to shine four years from now. He's insanely overrated. Then there will be people like myself that like Palin but ultimately won't back her for the nomination because she's damaged.

All I'm saying is that if we're looking for an outsider, this guy may be the one.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 11:14:19 PM »

Who knows? I don't like handicapping elections four years out (especially primary contests).

I'm really skeptical that Romney's star will continue to shine four years from now. He's insanely overrated. Then there will be people like myself that like Palin but ultimately won't back her for the nomination because she's damaged.

All I'm saying is that if we're looking for an outsider, this guy may be the one.

So...if you don't want Romney, or Palin....and your guy Santorum doesn't run...who do you support?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 11:21:10 PM »

So...if you don't want Romney, or Palin....and your guy Santorum doesn't run...who do you support?

Depends on the candidates. Ideally, I want either Santorum or Pawlenty.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 11:23:58 PM »

What about Huntsman? He seems like a new, fresh candidate.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 11:35:52 PM »

What about Huntsman? He seems like a new, fresh candidate.

He'd be up there on my list as well.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 12:47:37 AM »

The GOP's Obama is long gone. His name was Ronald Reagan.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 12:49:09 AM »

IF he wins, I see him as the perfect VP choice, but not as a contender for the nomination.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 11:42:32 AM »
« Edited: December 30, 2008, 11:45:13 AM by brittain33 »

but to be president he'll need a lot more national connections, fundraising prowess, etc.

Obama didn't have that built in. He obviously had to work for it and then there's the benefit of becoming the nominee. A nobody can become a somebody. Let's see how he builds himself if he wins in 2009.

True, but Obama had his DNC speech in 2004 to put himself on the radar. He'd been promoting himself through his book, which was not a typical politician's tome that no one reads, but something interesting. O'Donnell can't get that up and running in time for 2012. In addition, while O'Donnell's biography looks solid, there's nothing unique or interesting about him, nor is he particularly youthful although he's not old. He could be a solid candidate for 2016 if he does well as governor, and he also has potential for a supporting role in 2012, as others have said.

Being from Virginia does give him an automatic advantage for press awareness, though.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 12:46:54 PM »

Chris Christie > Bob McDonnell
Jeff from NC
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 02:12:29 PM »

On paper, Obama isn't even Obama.  He's a guy without an established base, in a swing state, who has never had a close election, who has no experience in a time when foreign policy dominates.  He ended up winning because he combines youth, charisma, and gravitas (and not being a Republican in the year 2008).  Does McDonnell have these things?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 02:22:03 PM »

Well, one of the two will come close to or actually win.

True, but Obama had his DNC speech in 2004 to put himself on the radar. He'd been promoting himself through his book, which was not a typical politician's tome that no one reads, but something interesting. O'Donnell can't get that up and running in time for 2012.

I don't know about that. Who the hell knew who Mike Huckabee was in 2007? "Oh, that once fat guy who wrote a book about getting fit?" Seriously. My point is that McDonnell could become the outsider candidate and maybe that's what we'll be looking for in 2012. I really think people will grow tired of Romney and Palin by then.

He ended up winning because he combines youth, charisma, and gravitas (and not being a Republican in the year 2008).  Does McDonnell have these things?

McDonnell has the advantages of being a rising star in an Obama swing state. I don't know exactly how charismatic McDonnell is but we should start to get an idea in a few months.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »

McDonnell has the advantages of being a rising star in an Obama swing state. I don't know exactly how charismatic McDonnell is but we should start to get an idea in a few months.

He also has a JD, MBA, and military service.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 04:10:53 PM »

Another problem with the comparison Phil, McDonnell is not black.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 08:48:15 PM »

BUMP

I think he has the potential. But I agree with RosettaStoned, the GOP's Obama was Ronald Reagan.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2009, 12:14:22 PM »

I can't see him winning over the powerful 3: Romney, Palin, Huckabee. But, he would make an excellent Vice-President. He would bring both Virginia and Pennyslvania into play.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2009, 01:19:18 PM »

Maybe he'll emerge as compromise candidate? Like, if  Romney, Palin, and Huckabee all split there delegates, the party bosses will pick him as the standard bearer? 1920-esque?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2009, 07:12:20 PM »

Maybe he'll emerge as compromise candidate? Like, if  Romney, Palin, and Huckabee all split there delegates, the party bosses will pick him as the standard bearer? 1920-esque?

Why wouldn't one of them just agree to be VP in exchange for their delegates?
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2009, 07:37:46 PM »

all three hate each other.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2009, 09:53:49 PM »

How is he more appealing, than say, Jackie Speier?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2009, 11:17:10 PM »

You think McCain and Palin got along?  VPs don't have to like their president.  Mitt certainly wouldn't mind any sort of compromise that would result in him being in power and I doubt Palin would either.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2009, 11:20:36 PM »

You think McCain and Palin got along?  VPs don't have to like their president.  Mitt certainly wouldn't mind any sort of compromise that would result in him being in power and I doubt Palin would either.

I actually think McCain and Palin are good friends. My scenarios flawed, as I also had Barbour, Sanford, Johnson, Pawlenty, Thune and Crist Running
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies