Flower Power
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 09:53:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Flower Power
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Flower Power  (Read 1993 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 26, 2008, 07:36:26 PM »

What do you think about these images?  No FF/HP necessary.  These are in front of the Pentagon, 1967, I believe.

DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 07:39:13 PM »

Fruitcup wastes of life
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 07:40:42 PM »

Why "fruitcup"?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 07:41:37 PM »

Its my generic term I use for people I find to be retarded and worthless, less offensive than calling someone a fag
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 07:48:16 PM »

A close relative of mine was at that rally.

Sign of how crazy the times were and how utterly ineffective the anti-war movement was.  If you disagree with government policy, vote for officials who agree with you or put on your suit and turn in an application to work in government yourself and change it from within.  Opposing the system is counterproductive and stupid.  Be the system.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 08:05:59 PM »

Its my generic term I use for people I find to be retarded and worthless, less offensive than calling someone a fag
Actually he really was gay.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 08:07:54 PM »

Haha, didn't even know, although the sweater was kind of metro Tongue
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 08:23:02 PM »

Haha, didn't even know, although the sweater was kind of metro Tongue
He actually set up a drag band called the Cockettes and died of AIDS about 15 years later.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 09:14:20 PM »

Sign of...how utterly ineffective the anti-war movement was.  If you disagree with government policy, vote for officials who agree with you or put on your suit and turn in an application to work in government yourself and change it from within.  Opposing the system is counterproductive and stupid.  Be the system.

Pretty much.  The antiwar movement of this nature was tiny.  It's interesting to see how much public perception of the approval/disapproval of the Vietnam War has changed since the war actually took place; people always associate the 1960's with "Flower Power" and hippies, yet in 1968 61% of Americans were self-reported "hawks" (compared to 21% calling themselves "doves").
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 09:17:37 PM »
« Edited: December 26, 2008, 09:40:27 PM by Lunar »

When I see those images, personally, I'm struck my emotion.  That kind of political courage always awes me.  Nevermind who the guy in the top two is, it doesn't matter.

Harder to come up with a modern-day equivalent of this sort of thing.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 11:06:04 PM »

Sign of...how utterly ineffective the anti-war movement was.  If you disagree with government policy, vote for officials who agree with you or put on your suit and turn in an application to work in government yourself and change it from within.  Opposing the system is counterproductive and stupid.  Be the system.

Pretty much.  The antiwar movement of this nature was tiny.  It's interesting to see how much public perception of the approval/disapproval of the Vietnam War has changed since the war actually took place; people always associate the 1960's with "Flower Power" and hippies, yet in 1968 61% of Americans were self-reported "hawks" (compared to 21% calling themselves "doves").

You want to know why we have that perception of the '60s?  Because those who were young then and were against the war, are now the establishment.  The young people who supported civil rights in the '60s, 40 years later voted for a black man.  The generations that voted for Nixon and Reagan, the generations that were against Civil Rights, the generations that supported the war in Vietnam are all dead now.  Conservatives always hold on to these beliefs of theirs, but history has proven that they cannot do it forever and eventually at some point, common sense prevails.  And that is because the generations that follow are always more open-minded than the ones they replaced.

To call protesters, fruitcups says more about the person that does it than about the protesters themselves.  To say that protesting cannot change the world is also false.  Without protesting the world would be a much worse place than it is.  People will always want to voice their opinion, whether the establishment likes it or not.  I of course agree with Lunar.   
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2008, 11:42:59 PM »

Actually, there's a lot to learn from all of this if folks are paying attention.

In general, the protestors were a bunch of unrealistic rich (at least middle/upper-middle class) kids who were complete narcissists believing that their fantasies would become reality.

Now, these same protestors generally control the levers that make society work and have imbued their narcissistic fantasies upon society at large.  It doesn't appear like (at least to me) that this generation's future elite has chosen to rebel against these attributes but to rebel against other attributes of that generation, which are still indeterminable in a lot of ways.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2008, 11:54:02 PM »

Interesting. Got any guesses as to specific guesses/speculations?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2008, 12:20:19 AM »

Interesting. Got any guesses as to specific guesses/speculations?

I don't know right now - just the thread got me thinking about the subject.

One thing I would note:  Those persons who I mentioned who now form much of the elites (or have for the last 10 years solid) were real masters of manipulation, especially good with the "fertile mind" crowd. 

This present generation really lacks that talent - they seem to have many of the same pie-in-the-sky unrealistic beliefs and don't seem to question the tenets which underlie those beliefs, but they just seem to assume that everything they believe will happen will "in fact" happen.

So, maybe there's a difference: 

The examples of those people in the picture seemed to understand that the world was going to need a lot of changing in order for at least some of their ideals to become reality and it would require a lot of the same psychological tactics the people whom they hated had used.  Whereas, the present generation seems to just think their own ideas will change the world and everyone else will listen and accept.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2008, 12:45:15 AM »

They may be narcisstic children of the upper classes but it doesn't change the fact they had the courage to protest many immoral practices and beliefs that were apart of the 1960's. Sure they may be quirky but that doesn't make them any less right today.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2008, 07:36:42 PM »

Corny.  But preferable to violent/destructive forms of protest. 
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2008, 02:54:59 AM »

Classic
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies