The South
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:26:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  The South
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Author Topic: The South  (Read 24571 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: December 18, 2008, 08:10:54 PM »

You edited your post so it said 1968, fool.  Also, don't you dare insult Southern education: Duke, UVA, William & Mary, and numerous others are top schools, so shut up.
LanceMcSteel

« Reply #101 on: December 18, 2008, 08:12:55 PM »

You edited your post so it said 1968, fool.  Also, don't you dare insult Southern education: Duke, UVA, William & Mary, and numerous others are top schools, so shut up.

Hahah, is it true you are from Arlington?
Neinrein
Rookie

« Reply #102 on: December 18, 2008, 08:13:41 PM »

This is stupid, you people are saying you hat the south because we don't believe like you do. That just makes you a bigot.

If you classify a history of sexism, racism, and homophobia as "beliefs" then I feel sorry for you.

That crap occurred all over the place. You're really dense if you believe it only happened in the South. You refused to respond to my argument about California and other non-southern states banning gay marriage. Typical. Just because you repeat an argument full of holes doesn't mean it will become true.

Compare the figures on gay adoption in Arkansas to those on proposition 8. Which state is more bigoted, again?

Arkansas is a thoroughly Democratic state and produced one of the better presidents this country has ever had, certainly his record improves by comparison every day that Bush stays in office. Bush did the same things that LBJ did and was surprised that it did the exact same damage to the economy

No, you're not going to get away with that. We all know exactly what sort of Democrats live in Arkansas, and who their candidate was in the 1968 Presidential election. And Bush and Johnson were absolutely nothing alike in their fiscal policies.

Man, those Arkansans are so tolerant.

I give you credit for editing your post to try and make me look foolish rather than acknowledge your error and then move on with response. Speaks of your gentlemanly character I suppose.

And that you bring up Wallace '68 shows how little you know of Wallace, for one thing, his deep ties to organized labor that he maintained for his entire career within elective politics in Alabama. 1968 was also the year that Rome burned in Chicago due to the demonstrators excesses. Take Wallace off the ballot, Humphrey wins the Wallace states, because whites would have split evenly for the two, and combined with the black vote for Humphrey, this gives Humphrey these states and the election.

Also shows how little you know of Wallace because you assume Wallace was a racist. Anyone who knows the story knows he was an opportunist, the one judge in Alabama who in the 1950s treated black folks with respect and dignity, and who lost in 1958 because he was seen as too soft on segregation. His segregation was all a political stunt. If you look at his economic agenda in Alabama, ripped right from the New Deal, increased the size of government more than any other administration, actually won the black vote in 1966 because all the black school teachers voted for him because he had raised their salaries 3 times.

And Wallace's 72 campaign was not about race at all, it was a combination of mainline social conservatism and New Deal economics, and strikingly, that had been his same platform in 1968
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #103 on: December 18, 2008, 08:15:10 PM »

Yes, and I've had family in Virginia for over 160 years.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #104 on: December 18, 2008, 08:15:34 PM »

I just love how conservatives want to unload Dubya now so as to make your movement look better. It's the same sort of thing you did after Nixon's failed Presidency, no?

Neinrein is a conservative? He seems like an economically liberal, moderately social conservative poster. He said he voted against Barbour the first time, then voted for him in part because his opponent was too fundamentalist. He's had good things to say about FDR, Bentsen and Ann Richards. Hello?
LanceMcSteel

« Reply #105 on: December 18, 2008, 08:18:36 PM »

This is stupid, you people are saying you hat the south because we don't believe like you do. That just makes you a bigot.

If you classify a history of sexism, racism, and homophobia as "beliefs" then I feel sorry for you.

That crap occurred all over the place. You're really dense if you believe it only happened in the South. You refused to respond to my argument about California and other non-southern states banning gay marriage. Typical. Just because you repeat an argument full of holes doesn't mean it will become true.

Compare the figures on gay adoption in Arkansas to those on proposition 8. Which state is more bigoted, again?

Arkansas is a thoroughly Democratic state and produced one of the better presidents this country has ever had, certainly his record improves by comparison every day that Bush stays in office. Bush did the same things that LBJ did and was surprised that it did the exact same damage to the economy

No, you're not going to get away with that. We all know exactly what sort of Democrats live in Arkansas, and who their candidate was in the 1968 Presidential election. And Bush and Johnson were absolutely nothing alike in their fiscal policies.

I give you credit for editing your post to try and make me look foolish rather than acknowledge your error and then move on with response. Speaks of your gentlemanly character I suppose.

And that you bring up Wallace '68 shows how little you know of Wallace, for one thing, his deep ties to organized labor that he maintained for his entire career within elective politics in Alabama. 1968 was also the year that Rome burned in Chicago due to the demonstrators excesses. Take Wallace off the ballot, Humphrey wins the Wallace states, because whites would have split evenly for the two, and combined with the black vote for Humphrey, this gives Humphrey these states and the election.

Also shows how little you know of Wallace because you assume Wallace was a racist. Anyone who knows the story knows he was an opportunist, the one judge in Alabama who in the 1950s treated black folks with respect and dignity, and who lost in 1958 because he was seen as too soft on segregation. His segregation was all a political stunt. If you look at his economic agenda in Alabama, ripped right from the New Deal, increased the size of government more than any other administration, actually won the black vote in 1966 because all the black school teachers voted for him because he had raised their salaries 3 times.

And Wallace's 72 campaign was not about race at all, it was a combination of mainline social conservatism and New Deal economics, and strikingly, that had been his same platform in 1968

Wow, we actually have a George Wallace apologist here. Regardless of his true feelings on segregation, in 1968 he was avowed segregationist and would have implemented segregationist policies. It doesnt matter how you feel, it matters what you do. Thats like your boy Dubya saying hes not responsible for the Iraq war as he didnt want to do it, Cheney made him.

Of course the only states he won where the backwards Southern States, no surprise there really.
LanceMcSteel

« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2008, 08:19:40 PM »

You live in the bogwash Northeastern corridor, not the South.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2008, 08:20:55 PM »

OH NOEZ TEH TYPOS!!!!

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And on the obverse we've got Liberty University, Piedmont Baptist College, Arlington, and other Fundamentalist hell-holes to balance them out.

You're such a goddamned moron. Point out where I explicitly stated that Wallace was anything other than a showman and I'll concede. But, point blank, Southern whites voted for him in massive numbers because they believed that he'd re-institute segregation. There's no getting around what they believed he'd do.

Quote from: Restricted

That's the worst sort of conservative: a collectivist, a Southern freeloader off the back of Northern Labor.
Neinrein
Rookie

« Reply #108 on: December 18, 2008, 08:23:42 PM »

First, Bush and Johnson absolutely were alike. Both of them presided over large increases of the federal judgement, in Johnsons case, federal programs, in Bush's case, pork, both spent untold sums on quagmire wars, and both cut taxes while increasing federal spending.

I just love how conservatives want to unload Dubya now so as to make your movement look better. It's the same sort of thing you did after Nixon's failed Presidency, no?

At any rate, any similarities between the two are superficial (and it's awfully hypocritical for any Southern to rail against pork-barrel spending, when that's the only goddamned thing proping up a number of your state economies). Where were Bush's social programs?

1968, fool.

Forty years ago, I'd have been a dyed-in-the-wool Republican of the Rockefeller Wing, and I'm not rich. Civil liberties mean a Hell of a lot more to me than the economic conditions of the predominant race. 

Yes, we understand that Southerners are envious of anyone with a semblance of higher education. But you don't have to screech about your anti-intellectualism every chance you get. It's really a turn-off.

Proud to be a graduate of Tulane, so not sure about what you're getting at with anti-intellectualism. And I have not yet said what party I am, other than to say I voted to re-elect Ronnie Musgrove in 2003 (even with his mistake, was still a damned good governor, did a lot for education) and I voted for Barbour in 2007. I've also voted for Jim Hood, Gene Taylor, actually in this last election, I voted for Gov. Musgrove because I don't think that Pontotoc should have both of the state's Senators, and Wicker breaks the gentleman's agreement the state has had for years to have one senator from the coast or delta, and one from the upstate.

I'll say that I voted for Bill and for W (regret that one terribly). I will say I voted against George Dale, because George Dale only wanted to protect the insurance companies that wanted to keep the coast from rebuilding. I will say that, at least based on the current moves he has made, I have very high hopes for the Obama presidency, he was clearly not who McCain tried to paint him as and while he does need a son of Dixie in the cabinet, he has made very competent selections for cabinet. I guess that's why everyone's on his case, they don't like it when you do a good job, it's why the press always hounded Clinton (never would have hounded him if he had been a kid from NY's upper east side rather than Hot Springs, Arkansas)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #109 on: December 18, 2008, 08:24:23 PM »

So you're not a Southerner, you're a snobbish twit.
LanceMcSteel

« Reply #110 on: December 18, 2008, 08:25:15 PM »

''The Wallace campaign aired TV ads with slogans such as "Do you want the black block electing your governor?" and circulated an ad showing a white girl surrounded by seven black boys, with the slogan "Wake Up Alabama! Blacks vow to take over Alabama."
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2008, 08:28:07 PM »

This thread is one big /facepalm.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: December 18, 2008, 08:28:31 PM »

Of course it is!
Neinrein
Rookie

« Reply #113 on: December 18, 2008, 08:29:56 PM »

Wow, we actually have a George Wallace apologist here. Regardless of his true feelings on segregation, in 1968 he was avowed segregationist and would have implemented segregationist policies. It doesnt matter how you feel, it matters what you do. Thats like your boy Dubya saying hes not responsible for the Iraq war as he didnt want to do it, Cheney made him.

Of course the only states he won where the backwards Southern States, no surprise there really.

I'm not a George Wallace apologist, but one thing I learned growing up is that there are at least two sides to everything, and that a true gentleman will be willing to look at everything from all sides. It's the only way to have a healthy debate. Just like the only way to have a good gumbo is just to mix it up all right, with the right amount of roux, right amount of okra, right amount of oysters, right amount of shrimp, so forth and so forth.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #114 on: December 18, 2008, 08:31:49 PM »

LOL.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: December 18, 2008, 08:32:24 PM »

LOL.

I don't kknow what else an appeal to ancestry makes you. Does it make you a better person? I think not.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #116 on: December 18, 2008, 08:35:09 PM »

LOL.

I don't kknow what else an appeal to ancestry makes you. Does it make you a better person? I think not.

No, it doesn't, but I'm still proud.  And who are you to call me a twit?
Neinrein
Rookie

« Reply #117 on: December 18, 2008, 08:36:34 PM »

''The Wallace campaign aired TV ads with slogans such as "Do you want the black block electing your governor?" and circulated an ad showing a white girl surrounded by seven black boys, with the slogan "Wake Up Alabama! Blacks vow to take over Alabama."

1970 gubernatorial campaign where he had polled second in the first round to the guy that had succeeded him, and who was doing a good job. That's called a political tactic and every academic agrees that the 1970 Alabama gubernatorial was among the dirtiest campaigns of all time.......but Jimmy Carter used a softer version of George Wallace's strategy to beat Carl Sanders in the 1970 Georgia gubernatorial election, including the use of the "bloc vote" phrase.

I'm not defending him, but I'm saying, a lot of black kids in Alabama were able to pull themselves out of poverty because of the community college system he set up, no governor did more for education or for mental health than he did. Alabama actually does rank at the top of mental health services surveys often and that is a legacy of George Wallace, he did that in memory of his wife who cared so much about the issue.

Alabama has never really had good governors though, Mississippi has had two really good ones in the last forty years, Bill Winter and Ray Mabus. I liked Allain because he was Catholic, but, if Allain hadn't of been Catholic, you know, he'd just be one of those so-so governors to me, like Fordice. Still can't understand how that moron got two terms, only beat Ray in '91 because all of the Baptists upstate hated that he legalized gambling, never mind the fact that the state of Mississippi had been collecting revenue off of all the illegal gambling strips on Beach Boulevard for nearly 100 years by then
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: December 18, 2008, 08:38:46 PM »

LOL.

Being proud is one thing. Appealing to your ancestry is quite another.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #119 on: December 18, 2008, 08:50:18 PM »

LOL.

Being proud is one thing. Appealing to your ancestry is quite another.

You're not answering the second question.  And there's nothing wrong with me saying I've had family in Virginia for 160 years.
Neinrein
Rookie

« Reply #120 on: December 18, 2008, 08:54:06 PM »

Crown Heights Riots 1992, Bensonhurst beating 1991, Desegregation of Boston Schools 1974-76, The Chicago Council Wars, Los Angeles Race Riots 1992, Cincinnati Race Riots 2000's, 2008 Democratic primaries in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Massachusetts (even with Kennedy power)

I don't think anyone wants to get in an argument about racism by region, especially when Georgia has a black attorney general
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #121 on: December 18, 2008, 08:55:59 PM »

Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #122 on: December 18, 2008, 09:08:13 PM »

C'mon, people, let's sing...

LanceMcSteel

« Reply #123 on: December 18, 2008, 09:11:34 PM »

Hahahah. Apparently french elitist Northeastern Liberal John Kerry was an excellent candidate for the Gulf Coast States and Appalachia.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #124 on: December 18, 2008, 09:15:40 PM »

Oh man, I'm kinda happy I have some of the same ideologies as Einzige because I wouldn't wanna get in a debate with him, I think...

As for the actual topic, all I gotta say is no one has to like every region and it's better for someone to learn on their own than to push your beliefs.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies