Draft...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:31:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Draft...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Would you support a draft?/Do you believe we will have a full draft again?
Yes/Yes

Yes/No

No/Yes

No/No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 64

Author Topic: Draft...  (Read 6168 times)
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 23, 2004, 02:20:04 PM »

I'm not sure if there's already a thread on this forum having to do with this but on some other message boards(usually non-political) there all people who are crying that if GWB is re-elected he will bring back the draft, I think Senator Kerry has also said in some way he believes that GWB would(which is probably scare tactics;which are used on both sides and probably every election). I'm curious to see what the opinions of the draft are here.

I am against the draft, not because I wouldn't want to go to war, hell I've been considered joining the military once I'm the legal age. My beliefs are that in a free country we shouldn't force civilians to fight; sometimes fight in a war they don't even agree with. I think it limits freedoms of the individuals(uh oh am I sounding like a libertarian now Shocked?). I also think that having a draft would result in less expierienced troops fighting, which I think was one of the problems in Vietnam.

I believe that we will not have a draft again(or in the near future). I don't think it would be able pass through congress(I can always be wrong though). I also think that if Iraq was to get so bad to the point where we would need a draft I think we would pull out but I don't think that will be necessary.

I'd like to hear everyone elses opinions on this matter.

Smiley
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 02:35:29 PM »

I'm against it. It infringes on our freedoms. However, if we keep sending our armed forces to the middle east, we will need more troops. I think it could be brought back, but it would done very slowly over a long time, by quietly changing a few laws and military operations. I don't think the Senate would ever vote on a bill that basically says, "The draft shall be re-instated in two years."
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 02:46:16 PM »

There's no reason for a draft.

If the army needs more people, it can just increase the sign-on bonus. Money works just fine...
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 02:57:11 PM »

If you've voted it would be appreciated if you posted why you voted the way you did Smiley
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 03:19:41 PM »

Although I oppose drafts, I think that if we get involved in a major war in the Middle East the draft will be reinstated.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 05:06:03 PM »

I'd rather we keep it volunteer. People who willingly join the army are willing to fight - I don't want people who aren't willing to fight drafted into our military.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2004, 05:48:34 PM »

The last thing I want to happen durring a war is people singing about how they were "Grafted into the Army."
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2004, 06:09:32 PM »

If there's a draft, I'll dodge. I'm sick of unconstitutional mandates.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2004, 06:24:50 PM »

I'd rather we keep it volunteer. People who willingly join the army are willing to fight - I don't want people who aren't willing to fight drafted into our military.

You mean like "slaves make lousy defenders of freedom"? (That came from a 1980 LP Clark/Koch campaign piece.)

Kind of. Good quote. Never heard that.

But really - do you want someone who would prefer to dodge the draft fighting to defend you? I know that people who volunteer for the military have what it takes to defend the country, and I don't want those willing to fight slowing our good troops down.

We have the most elite fighting force on the planet and it is entirely volunteer. Israel can compete in quality, but even though service is mandatory they grow up in an environment where it could become a battlefield easily, so they are pretty much conditioned from birth to be willing to fight. Our country on the other hand enjoys a great deal of peace, so most of our people aren't conditioned to have a willingness to fight.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2004, 07:25:07 PM »

No/No

Although many politicans wouldn't mind bringing the draft back, the political backlash would be huge.

I would dodge if drafted.
Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2004, 08:08:46 PM »

If drafted, I will dodge.
NYGOP
nygop
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2004, 08:21:28 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2004, 03:34:20 PM by NYGOP »

A draft won't be instituted. We have more than enough troops at the moment.

The only people saying there will be a draft are the democrat attack dogs scare-mongering before the election. They realize thier boy is going to lose and they're freaking out.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2004, 09:04:18 PM »

I oppose a draft and don't think it will come back if Bush is reelected.  However, should I be called to the colors even for a war I don't believe in, I shall go.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2004, 09:57:20 PM »

However, should I be called to the colors even for a war I don't believe in, I shall go.

Your a good man. If I was drafted I would also go.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2004, 10:26:20 PM »

I don't think that a draft is a good idea and I don't think that it will occur.  Soldiering has advanced to the point where using mass numbers of poorly trained troops is not particularly effective.  We could easily double the size of our military without the need for a draft, if we're willing to spend the money to keep a military that large in place.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2004, 11:48:27 PM »

no/probably not/4-F.

I consider conscription to be both immoral and impractical (as many have pointed out - draftees tend to have morale problems and are often far from enthusiastc nor professional.  

I doubt that a draft will be reinstated, but I would prefer it if they would get rid of that registration bit once and for all.   Our millitary is curently overextended (hence the over-reliance of reserves), but authorizing slightly increasing the size of the regular army could deal with that problem - recuiters are not sitting in empty offices after all).

I don't think service would agree with me.  I'm not a morning person and I don't adapt well to strict disipline.  (I'm not sure I could bring myself to kill someone either).   In any case, I likely wouldn't qualify due to a disability.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2004, 01:25:45 AM »

Bandit seems to disagree with you... Wink

Regarding the topic, I went with no/no.  I don't believe a draft is either the right thing to do or the smart thing to do.  People should not be forced into fighting a war that they don't support and the morale among draftees would likely be rock bottom.  Plus, if absolutely nobody will sign on to the war, you really should be asking yourself whether the war is worthwhile, not simply forcing people into it.
NYGOP
nygop
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2004, 03:35:34 PM »

Hehe, I need to learn to read my statements before I post.
Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2004, 03:53:18 PM »

My uncle was drafted into Vietnam because some State Congressman's kid didn't wanna go. I have not nor will I EVER supprot the draft.
badnarikin04

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2004, 05:46:00 PM »

No/Yes.

Those republicrat fascists are going to send me a draft card. And that'll be the last straw. I'll be burning it and moving to Uzbekistan where I can enjoy a privatized free market.
weallbleed
Rookie

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2004, 10:02:07 PM »

no/no

it'd be political suicide for any party to bring it back.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2004, 10:26:41 PM »

zachman

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2004, 10:26:56 PM »

No/no. Its a rule that is hard to ban in peace time because its just not that much of a priority then. If it doesn't get removed in the next year or two (I can't imagine it will), it will sit around for another decade or so. I just don't see modern warfare as being a situation for a draft (Iraq may prove me wrong.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2004, 10:45:27 PM »

I have mixed feeling about a possible draft.

On the one hand, I think it's better militarily to have all volunteer, assuming that they can attracted in sufficient numbers.

On the other hand, I think it is unfair that the burden of defending the country effectively falls to those who are less well off economically.  I also think that in one way or another, we all have an obligation to defend the freedom that we enjoy and loudly proclaim.

In the post-Vietnam era, through the end of the Cold War, we maintained an all-volunteer military of about 2.2 million people, with a smaller population base.  I have to admit that I find it hard to understand why we have difficulty recruiting to the current level of 1.4 million people.

The whole issue of war is inherently unfair, however necessary it may be.  There can be no comparing the sacrifice of somebody who contributes to the war by paying for it with the person who contributes to the war by giving his life.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2004, 10:49:09 PM »

It's unconstitutional
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies