Is this tacky?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:19:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is this tacky?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: See the situation
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 10

Author Topic: Is this tacky?  (Read 1137 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 07, 2008, 11:06:05 PM »

An argument me and my roommate just got into:

A girl lives in your dorm.  The two of you talk whenever you see each other, which is maybe 2-3 times a week (one of those times is in a meeting that won't be held this week).  You want to ask her out, but it's about to be exam week and you're leaving Wedensday (she's staying until Friday).  Is it tacky to ask her outover Facebook since it's pretty unlikely that you're going to see her during the week due to wacky schedules due to exams?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 11:08:33 PM »

yes; text-based ask-out is the pinnacle of teenage romantic devolution
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 11:13:42 PM »

Thank you.  We agree there, but I am absolutely lost on how to argue this point when he argues what a good alternative to asking her out on Facebook would be.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 11:17:09 PM »

Thank you.  We agree there, but I am absolutely lost on how to argue this point when he argues what a good alternative to asking her out on Facebook would be.

Walk up to her room since you live in the same dorm and ask her out. Not that hard.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 11:18:33 PM »

although it could be argued that 'pinnacle of devolution' makes no sense, but making sense isn't my main objective.  beauty is

as for your friend, if he knows where her room is, it can't be too difficult.  personally I would rather get strung up than ask someone out via text-based communication, but this is only me.  the lone time I did that was on December 14, 2002.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 11:22:59 PM »

Walk up to her room since you live in the same dorm and ask her out. Not that hard.

I forgot to mention that she's hardly ever actually in her room, but she's always on Facebook.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 11:23:10 PM »

the lone time I did that was on December 14, 2002.

were the ensuing results favorable?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 11:28:49 PM »

the lone time I did that was on December 14, 2002.

were the ensuing results favorable?

no, although that was an interesting night, as it was my first real experience with any volume of alcohol.  my friend's cousin was actually the one who did the typing, as she claimed that she was "good at" such activities, but she was unsuccessful.  I tried again six days later in an embarrassing downward spiral that got me nowhere, and the chase was called off at that point.  I was completely over the whole ordeal by the morning of 12/21/2002.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 12:11:39 AM »

Write a note before you wander up and stick it in your pocket - something along the lines of "I was hoping to catch up with you before I leave on Wednesday, is there a time we can talk?" or something like that - you're good with words, you can probably come up with something better than that. If she's there when you knock, you don't need the note. If she's not there when you knock, you can stick the note under her door without spending five minutes outside jotting it down on a piece of scrap paper, using your knee as a table, only to find it turns out as illegible scrawl. If you don't hear from her, you can then send her one of those private messages on Facebook, asking if she got the note you left her.

This way, you can ask her out face-to-face, but if she's not around when you first try, you can still arrange an alternate time.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 12:14:45 AM »

NEVER ASK A GIRL OUT THROUGH FACEBOOK

NEVER

NEVER

NEVER

NEVER

You don't want to give her a couple days to mull it over, talk to her friends, and think about it!  You want her to feel "on the spot" and be unable to have a reason to say "no" when asked in a face-to-face situation.  It completely removes the pressure from the request and lets her insert her hidden doubts over 24-48 hours before responding.  Dumb dumb.

It ranks like this:

In person
Phone
IM
Facebook

DON'T DO IT!

It's so dumb.

dumb dumb dumb

PLEASE DON'T DO IT FOR THE SAKE OF GUYS EVERYWHERE

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 12:20:02 AM »

NEVER

NEVER

NEVER

NEVER

You don't want to give her a couple days to mull it over, talk to her friends, and think about it!  You want her to feel "on the spot" and be unable to have a reason to say "no" when asked in a face-to-face situation.  It completely removes the pressure from the request and lets her insert her hidden doubts over 24-48 hours before responding.  Dumb dumb.

It ranks like this:

In person
Phone
IM
Facebook

DON'T DO IT!

It's so dumb.

dumb dumb dumb

This.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 12:21:30 AM »

For the record, this is NOT about me.  lol
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 12:24:57 AM »

NEVER

NEVER

NEVER

NEVER

It ranks like this:

In person
Phone
IM
Facebook

DON'T DO IT!

It's so dumb.

dumb dumb dumb

This.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 12:29:59 AM »

I DON'T CARE

TELL HIM THAT LUNAR (YOUR INTERNET BUDDY) WILL KICK HIS ASS IF HE TRIES

I mean, it reduces your success rate by like 90% or more I'd assume.  I've talked to people who have tried this and it's a universal failure, but it might simply be correlated with people who are going to fail anyway.  You have to remember that girls are inherently skeptical creatures and you have to have them get to know you before they will agree to do anything with you pressure-free.

Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 12:30:23 AM »

isn't there an option where you can poke people or something on facebook that has sexual connotation? you could try that. see how that pans out for you.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 11:26:23 AM »

Then have your friend find out when she will be in her room through facebook and then he can actually go talk to her.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2008, 01:15:48 PM »

Asking someone out through Facebook, text messages, instant messenger, phone, or anything that isn't in person is tacky.  Breaking up with people that way is tacky, too

If this girl kinda likes this guy but isn't really sure, asking her out through any of the above means would totally be a turn off.  Even if she really liked him, it'd probably be a total turn off. 

Listen to Lunar.  Asking her out over Facebook would be a disgrace to guys everywhere.  And she WILL laugh about it for a looooooonnnnggg time with her friends.  Tongue

Rin-chan
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies