should the LDS Church embrace its polygamist past?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:15:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  should the LDS Church embrace its polygamist past?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: should the LDS Church embrace its polygamist past?  (Read 5270 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 07, 2008, 05:30:08 PM »
« edited: December 07, 2008, 05:32:38 PM by © Art Vandelay »

any mention to an LDS higher-up of the LDS Church's relationship to polygamy will most certainly send them into a tizzy.  and perhaps rightfully so; misconceptions abound about the present-day relationship of the LDS Church to polygamy.

but, yet, polygamy remains an important part of Mormon history.  Church pioneers and prophets alike were polygamists, and the Church endorsed the practice through 1890.  but, in the present, is it going to far?

many influential Mormons alive today are descendants of plural wives.  is their existence illegitimate?  of course not.  but by blanketly minimizing the impact of polygamy on Mormon history, and even dismissing it as some sort of a black mark in said history, LDS higher-ups are sending the wrong message.

case-in-point, sort of: in 1998, the late former LDS President (and 'prophet') Gordon B. Hinckley, who was, by all accounts, a wonderful man, sat down for an interview with Larry King.  when asked about polygamy, Hinckley, as part of his remarks, stated, "it is not doctrinal."  now, this is not incorrect, but perhaps (intentionally) misleading, and has become the target of anti-Mormons on YouTube who claim that the statement is in contrast with a statement Hinckley made earlier in the interview, "thou shalt not bear false witness."

my question/suggestion: why couldn't Hinckley have said "polygamy is no longer doctrinal"?  this would have been just as, if not more, accurate a statement, and also deprived anti-Mormons of some of their ammo.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 08:19:41 PM »

They still approve of it in the shadows.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 10:57:20 PM »

no, not at all.  there are still pockets of 'closet' polygamists that are LDS members in and around Salt Lake City, but the practice is no longer condoned by the church leadership and if such people are 'found out' they are faced with excommunication.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 11:05:43 PM »

Depends on how much trust you have in the Mormon church to begin with.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 11:06:13 PM »

Mainstream Mormon culture is really self-correcting and strict so any 'shadow' approval would be essentially meaningless in the mainstream view.  Really nothing to do with secret Mormon Church conspiracies.  Those outside of said culture are more likely to be social moderates, and tow line to secular culture, which is hardly a hotspot of polygamy.

Rocky Ridge, Utah; Colorado City, Ariz.; Hildale, Utah; Pinesdale, Mont.; Bountiful, B.C.

That's pretty much it.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 11:07:33 PM »

Mainstream Mormon culture is really self-correcting and strict so any 'shadow' approval would be essentially meaningless in the mainstream view.  Really nothing to do with secret Mormon Church conspiracies.  Those outside of said culture are more likely to be social moderates, and tow line to secular culture, which is hardly a hotspot of polygamy.

Rocky Ridge, Utah; Colorado City, Ariz.; Hildale, Utah; Pinesdale, Mont.; Bountiful, B.C.

That's pretty much it.

the residents of the above places are not members of, nor are they affiliated with, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 11:37:59 PM »

That's pretty much it.

Pringle, SD
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 11:42:32 PM »

That's pretty much it.

Pringle, SD

How big of a population is there?  Certainly doesn't vote like an FLDS stronghold.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 12:22:58 AM »

That's pretty much it.

Pringle, SD

How big of a population is there?  Certainly doesn't vote like an FLDS stronghold.

Pop. 125. How does it vote?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 12:23:59 AM »

Oh yeah how did Alcon forget Eldorado, Texas? That place was just raided a few months ago.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 01:08:28 AM »

That's pretty much it.

Pringle, SD

Pop. 125. How does it vote?

187-117 McCain, Baldwin & Nader 3, Barr 1.  Obviously lots of rural in there, but it's less Republican than Custer Co. average.  And the almost total absence of a protest vote is a bit weird for FLDS as we've seen it this year.

Besides what kind of FLDS enclave has a median age above national average and English as the third-ranked ancestry?  Clearly they don't live in the CDP, weren't counted or weren't at all numerous.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 02:22:33 AM »

Unless you're looking at the wrong place. It's just near Pringle.

Same thing with Eldorado which you blatantly forgot, despite being raided a few months ago for raping teenagers.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 03:04:55 AM »
« Edited: December 08, 2008, 03:06:59 AM by Alcon »

Unless you're looking at the wrong place. It's just near Pringle.

Well, if it's near Pringle it would probably be in the Pringle precinct since it has such a big population relative to the CDP.  Either way I'm not seeing an unusual number of Baldwin or even Nader voters anywhere.

Alternatively to my having the wrong place, there could be very few people (as Google indicates -- it says the FLDS owns a compound, and it has a watchtower, but not much else is known) and no established system of governance or anything.  Either way, looks a lot more spartan and unestablished than other FLDS communities.

Same thing with Eldorado which you blatantly forgot, despite being raided a few months ago for raping teenagers.

I did forget Eldorado.  I didn't realize my forgetting was blatant, God forbid.  What exactly makes one instance of forgetting "blatant" relative to another?

I'm also pretty sure that the town of Eldorado, Texas, cannot itself commit rape, if we're going to be a snarky ass about things.

(Can you totally tell it's finals time? Tongue)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 08:19:49 PM »

Eldorado is blatant because the FLDS compound there was in the news the few months ago for exactly what I mentioned.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 08:29:13 PM »

Eldorado is blatant because the FLDS compound there was in the news the few months ago for exactly what I mentioned.

I got you, I just thought "blatantly forgot" was an amusing (not incorrect, but amusing) use of English
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 09:57:23 PM »

Nobody really wants to talk about elements of their past that are no longer acceptable.  It seems pretty normal, though not completely healthy, to close one's minds to such things. As recently as the 1970s, Mormons were still holding on to some crackpot theory about blacks being cursed or some such nonsense.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2008, 05:49:53 PM »

Given how utah's statehood was conditional on them tossing polygamy, that's fine with me. 2 less senators and 5 less reps for the GOP. NY would get it's 2 reps back, Pennsylvania 2 reps back and Connecticut a represenative back.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2008, 11:47:42 AM »

screw the LDS cult
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix