More proof that CFR doesn't work (Reps take advantage)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:09:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  More proof that CFR doesn't work (Reps take advantage)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: More proof that CFR doesn't work (Reps take advantage)  (Read 1583 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 22, 2004, 03:21:55 PM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6073233/

Bush capitalizes on huge funding loophole
Democrats say they may follow suit on TV adsThe Associated Press
Updated: 3:29 p.m. ET Sept. 22, 2004

WASHINGTON - President Bush’s political team is orchestrating a vastly larger advertising campaign than thought possible under federal law, taking control of millions in Republican Party funds simply by inserting the phrase “our leaders in Congress” in selected commercials.

The GOP strategy had gone unnoticed for weeks by Sen. John Kerry and the Democrats, who now may abandon their own less-cost-efficient approach to advertising.

Ken Mehlman, Bush’s campaign manager, said in an interview that federal election law allows the campaign access to party money “provided that your message is broader than the individual candidate and includes a discussion of the overall agenda and the message of the party.” The Republican National Committee has $93 million on hand.

This month the Republicans began airing television and radio commercials paid for jointly by the president’s re-election campaign and the RNC and including the words “our leaders in Congress.”

The ads say Bush and congressional leaders have plans to strengthen homeland security, expand the economy and reduce health care costs. Some also attack Kerry and “the liberals in Congress.”

The president appears briefly in each of the TV ads and his voice is heard in the radio commercials.

Read more at link above.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 03:24:50 PM »

I don't see the advantage to banning this.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 03:30:26 PM »

I don't think they should ban anything.  Have full public disclosure and allow you donate whatever you want.

The reason why this will help the Reps in the long haul is because the Republican Party apparatus, especially its Senatorial wing is much better funded than the Dems and can therefore afford to spend.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2004, 03:35:09 PM »

How are you going to track the money to make sure they're disclosing it?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 03:42:58 PM »

Well, you just make them record every transaction made from one party to another and publish the results.  If the figures don't add up what they've spent, you know there's a problem.

Of course, in any system, money's going to slip under the radar, but if you lessen the rules and amounts that people can give (only $2000 now) and say that everything given must be publicly reported, you will create a much better system than this present confusion.

I really don't care whether people want to give $100 or a million dollars to political campaigns.  All I care about is that these donations are publicly known and noted to the feds.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 04:59:11 PM »

That sounds reasonable, except I personally think the states should decide what checks and balances will be put on their representatives.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2004, 07:58:23 PM »

I could deal with that also.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies