Senator Gillibrand
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:33:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Senator Gillibrand
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22
Poll
Question: Who will it be?
Thomas Suozzi

Rep. Kirsten Gillibrand

Nita M. Lowey

State Attorney General Andrew Cuomo

Rep. Steve Israel

Rep. Brian Higgins

Rep. Greg Meeks

Rep. Nydia Velasquez

Robert F. Kennedy Jr.

Caroline Kennedy

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 67

Author Topic: Senator Gillibrand  (Read 58369 times)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: January 22, 2009, 08:11:18 PM »

Ladies and Gentlemen, the next United States Senator from the State of New York...Kirsten Gillibrand!

And yes, she is a good looking senator no less.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #401 on: January 22, 2009, 08:12:53 PM »

mad props to Paterson for having guts... still leaning towards his primary opponent because of the hike in the cig tax and the other retarded taxes he pushed a few months ago but, still, props bro
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #402 on: January 22, 2009, 08:13:21 PM »

Gillibrand is much better looking than the young Hillary Clinton was.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #403 on: January 22, 2009, 08:14:20 PM »

mad props to Paterson for having guts... still leaning towards his primary opponent because of the hike in the cig tax and the other retarded taxes he pushed a few months ago but, still, props bro

Are you actually going to vote?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #404 on: January 22, 2009, 08:16:12 PM »

I guess it's a good choice strategically, if Paterson(or any Dem) keeps the governor's mansion. King is likely to run in 2010 and most likely lose barring a scandal/gaff/etc, they can get rid of NY-20 after the census and a Democrat can get NY-03.

Of course the likelyness of it happening exactly like that is slim, but I'm really confident King will run in 2010.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #405 on: January 22, 2009, 08:31:06 PM »

I voted in '08 because my mom really wanted me to...  I'll probably vote in '10 too but it's doubtful I vote for any major party candidates
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #406 on: January 22, 2009, 08:33:43 PM »

I voted in '08 because my mom really wanted me to...  I'll probably vote in '10 too but it's doubtful I vote for any major party candidates

Who'd you vote for? Nader?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #407 on: January 22, 2009, 08:37:56 PM »

Good stuff. I wanted Suozzi over Gillibrand but she's fine. Certainly an improvement compared to Hillary and definitely better than people like Cuomo and Maloney. If Paterson picked Maloney, I would have been very disappointed. Plus, we're probably getting a House seat!
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #408 on: January 22, 2009, 08:42:33 PM »

Good stuff. I wanted Suozzi over Gillibrand but she's fine. Certainly an improvement compared to Hillary and definitely better than people like Cuomo and Maloney. If Paterson picked Maloney, I would have been very disappointed. Plus, we're probably getting a House seat!

Based on...? Hillary was a terrific senator for NY and I am pretty sure Clinton and Gillibrand don't differ on all that much. Gillibrand is just conforming to her district right now.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #409 on: January 22, 2009, 08:44:05 PM »

Based on...? Hillary was a terrific senator for NY and I am pretty sure Clinton and Gillibrand don't differ on all that much. Gillibrand is just conforming to her district right now.
Right, I can probably see Gillibrand going a little to the left now that she's competing statewide. NY-20 is definitely not NYC.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #410 on: January 22, 2009, 08:45:02 PM »

Gillibrand will be more moderate than Hillary.  More Dovish in foreign policy, and less of a partisan liberal.  Gillibrand will liberalize, but probably not quite to Hillary's levels.

Suozzi looks to be on track to be Lt. Governor though, so you might still see him show up later in New York as governor or senator.  Suozzi has openly stated that he intends on running for president someday, heh.

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #411 on: January 22, 2009, 08:52:29 PM »

Who'd you vote for? Nader?

yes
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #412 on: January 22, 2009, 08:55:41 PM »

A few confirmations coming from more reputable sources now, picking up the story:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthrush/0109/Looks_like_Gillibrand.html

http://news.aol.com/political-machine/2009/01/22/kirsten-gillibrand-to-be-appointed-to-hillarys-senate-seat/
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #413 on: January 22, 2009, 09:00:23 PM »

They're being pretty reserved about it.  If it wasn't Gillibrand, wouldn't her office deny it so she isn't epic-embarrassed come tomorrow?

It'd be pretty funny, since all of NY's Congress is going to be in Albany tomorrow, Paterson should either hold a gameshow or a VH1-inspired elimination calling up the congressmen one by one and saying "Sorry you're not the one for me" until there is just one left.  You could insert commercials and make some money for the state budget.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #414 on: January 22, 2009, 09:02:06 PM »

omg she's so urban
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #415 on: January 22, 2009, 09:04:46 PM »

They're being pretty reserved about it.  If it wasn't Gillibrand, wouldn't her office deny it so she isn't epic-embarrassed come tomorrow?

It is likely that all the news sources just don't know how to react anymore. They have all been like zombies chanting, "Caroline...Caroline...Caroline." And then the fiasco yesterday, everyone is very on edge but very unsure how to react.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #416 on: January 22, 2009, 09:12:36 PM »

So...what would the race for Gillibrand's House Seat look like?  It's basically Westchester County, right?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #417 on: January 22, 2009, 09:15:27 PM »

So...what would the race for Gillibrand's House Seat look like?  It's basically Westchester County, right?

I think two GOP State Senators have announced their indication to replace her.  The former holder of the seat, a multimillionaire and former NY State GOP Chairman, may want his seat back too.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #418 on: January 22, 2009, 09:18:26 PM »

HuffPost is running this on their homepage:

UPDATE 8:52PM:
A source close to a rival candidate for the Senate seat tells the Huffington Post that Congresswoman Kirsten Gillibrand has indeed been picked, as was first reported earlier this evening. The source said that the rival candidate had been told by Gov. Paterson's office that he had chosen Gillibrand.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #419 on: January 22, 2009, 09:19:27 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York%27s_20th_congressional_district
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #420 on: January 22, 2009, 09:20:47 PM »

I think two GOP State Senators have announced their indication to replace her.  The former holder of the seat, a multimillionaire and former NY State GOP Chairman, may want his seat back too.

The former holder of that seat...wasn't he a real asshole?  I think he was the one that Wonkette said was pulled over with like a .2 and a hot babe in the passenger seat.

Ah, here's the story:

http://wonkette.com/322503/mcslappys-arrest-blue-balls#more-322503

Wow, it's worse than I had remembered.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #421 on: January 22, 2009, 09:21:22 PM »

Ah, thank you.  I had been thinking of the 19th.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #422 on: January 22, 2009, 09:22:25 PM »

The former holder of that seat...wasn't he a real asshole?  I think he was the one that Wonkette said was pulled over with like a .2 and a hot babe in the passenger seat.

Ah, here's the story:

http://wonkette.com/322503/mcslappys-arrest-blue-balls#more-322503

Wow, it's worse than I had remembered.

Ooops, wrong guy.  I was thinking of the guy that she defeated in 2008:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Treadwell

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #423 on: January 22, 2009, 09:43:57 PM »

Based on ideology...unless you have a convincing argument that proves she is only "conforming to her district right now."

As for replacing Gillibrand, the incumbent she beat (Sweeney) was scandal plagued, wasn't he?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #424 on: January 22, 2009, 09:59:32 PM »

Not if i can help it.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies