Senator Gillibrand
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 08:23:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Senator Gillibrand
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 22
Poll
Question: Who will it be?
Thomas Suozzi

Rep. Kirsten Gillibrand

Nita M. Lowey

State Attorney General Andrew Cuomo

Rep. Steve Israel

Rep. Brian Higgins

Rep. Greg Meeks

Rep. Nydia Velasquez

Robert F. Kennedy Jr.

Caroline Kennedy

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 67

Author Topic: Senator Gillibrand  (Read 58457 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: January 21, 2009, 09:59:52 AM »

Holtzman, eh? *Interesting* but not actually a bad pick, it would be.

I mean, she's basically a Jewish female version of Roland Burris with a little more "bitter" thrown in every time she loses a statewide race (not endorsing the eventual winner or losing because the guy you primaried came back as a third party).  She has lots of "firsts" like Burris, she's old like Burris, and she can't seem to win anything she runs for statewide except Comptroller (Burris had a 1 year stint as AG too).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #276 on: January 21, 2009, 10:07:50 AM »

bitter (not endorsing the eventual winner or losing because the guy you primaried came back as a third party).
eh. That's not so good.
Although it was D'Amato who primaried Javits, not Holtzman. He just went on to hurt her more. (Didn't read the part below that too closely, maybe you were referring to something else?)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #277 on: January 21, 2009, 10:11:30 AM »

Ah my mistake,  yes, Javits is a moderate Republican. 

Wasn't reading too close because I think Gov. Paterpater can do better
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #278 on: January 21, 2009, 10:52:07 AM »

Holtzman, eh? *Interesting* but not actually a bad pick, it would be.

I mean, she's basically a Jewish female version of Roland Burris with a little more "bitter" thrown in every time she loses a statewide race (not endorsing the eventual winner or losing because the guy you primaried came back as a third party).  She has lots of "firsts" like Burris, she's old like Burris, and she can't seem to win anything she runs for statewide except Comptroller (Burris had a 1 year stint as AG too).

I'd prefer someone who would hold the seat in the future. I'd really prefer Caroline to Holtzman.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #279 on: January 21, 2009, 11:28:58 AM »

How odd, Paterson declares he wants a candidate with economic experience and Gillibrand is going to host an economic summit at Hyde Park on Monday:
http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article/20090121/NEWS01/90121005

That will be hosted after Paterson makes his selection, natch
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #280 on: January 21, 2009, 11:50:42 AM »

"The county executive, who's currently being considered for the Senate seat vacated by Hillary Rodham Clinton, told those gathered that he recently got a call from Gov. David A. Paterson -- hinting it might be news about the Senate vacancy.

Then Suozzi told the audience he wanted to announce that Paterson has agreed to name him . . . to another stint as head of the Commission on Property Tax Relief.

The joke drew a few laughs."

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/nassau/ny-ponass0122,0,6197218.story

As a side note, Weingarten might be considered to have "economic experience" as a Union leader, meh.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #281 on: January 21, 2009, 06:07:00 PM »

"The county executive, who's currently being considered for the Senate seat vacated by Hillary Rodham Clinton, told those gathered that he recently got a call from Gov. David A. Paterson -- hinting it might be news about the Senate vacancy.

Then Suozzi told the audience he wanted to announce that Paterson has agreed to name him . . . to another stint as head of the Commission on Property Tax Relief.

The joke drew a few laughs."

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/nassau/ny-ponass0122,0,6197218.story

As a side note, Weingarten might be considered to have "economic experience" as a Union leader, meh.

"Union leader" and "economic experience" don't belong in the same sentence - especially when the person in question is head of the teachers' union.  Heaven help us if Paterson names Weingarten.  She's a terrible union hack.

Like I said before, it should be Suozzi - he's at least competent.  But it won't be because he's not "diverse" enough.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #282 on: January 21, 2009, 06:21:34 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2009, 06:23:14 PM by Lunar »

You'd be surprised how diverse a white Italian Catholic from the suburbs will be for the NY Democrats - the Republicans are potentially set to run an all white Italian Catholic ticket (Giuliani/King/others I forget) and some Democratic strategists are worried.

You're right on Randi natch, I was just thinking of spin
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #283 on: January 21, 2009, 06:32:10 PM »

You'd be surprised how diverse a white Italian Catholic from the suburbs will be for the NY Democrats - the Republicans are potentially set to run an all white Italian Catholic ticket (Giuliani/King/others I forget) and some Democratic strategists are worried.

Giuliani is an Italian Catholic, King is an Irish Catholic who strongly supports Irish Terrorist Organizations.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #284 on: January 21, 2009, 06:35:28 PM »

doh meant White Catholic
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #285 on: January 21, 2009, 06:59:09 PM »

I dont think Giuliani is a viable candidate anymore.  A recent Research 2000 poll showed his favorability rating state wide at 38%/58%. 
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #286 on: January 21, 2009, 07:16:58 PM »

Breaking: Caroline withdraws from consideration, according to the NYT.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/22/nyregion/22caroline.html

I can't say I expected this.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #287 on: January 21, 2009, 07:17:41 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2009, 07:19:53 PM by cinyc »

CAROLINE KENNEDY ENDS SENATE SEAT BID
New York Post/FREDRIC U. DICKER IN ALBANY and MAGGIE HABERMAN IN N.Y.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Why?

Edit: NYT claims she's too worried about Uncle Teddy's health to start a Senate job.  Still bizarre.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #288 on: January 21, 2009, 07:21:48 PM »

CAROLINE KENNEDY ENDS SENATE SEAT BID
New York Post/FREDRIC U. DICKER IN ALBANY and MAGGIE HABERMAN IN N.Y.

Why?

Edit: NYT claims she's too worried about Uncle Teddy's health to start a Senate job.  Still bizarre.

Beat me to the punch. But thank the lord!

Paterson probably told her to withdraw gracefully before he made his pick because it wasn't her. This gives her a shot in future years, puts no egg on anyone's face.

Happy days are here again! Gotta love NY politics.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #289 on: January 21, 2009, 07:25:09 PM »

LOL. The Post is just trying to cover up their previous claim that she was the choice when it had already become obvious that she was not. (Well, not really, but I doubt she was approached as the choice before withdrawing.)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #290 on: January 21, 2009, 07:37:51 PM »

Wow!

You know, deep down I wanted her there just to go off on her.  Tongue However, this is a great victory for those of us opposed to America's Monarch.

Suozzi for Senate!
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #291 on: January 21, 2009, 07:44:06 PM »

SEE CYNIC AND OTHER HATERS?Huh!!!!  I KNEW SHE WASN'T ORDAINED!  MWHAHAHAHA

I can't  BELIEVE MSNBC is trying to spin this as a feud between the Kennedy's & Cuomo divorce or an effort for Caroline to undercut Paterson somehow.

Candidates, when told they aren't going to be the one, always withdraw their name as a way to save face.  There's no reason why the governor would not allow a high-profile pick  to withdraw her name.

Wink
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #292 on: January 21, 2009, 07:47:28 PM »

Anyone who was betting against her on Intrade just made a lot of money.  She was above 80 (absolutely ridiculous), and has now dropped all the way to 3.6.  Cuomo's now the overwhelming frontrunner on Intrade.

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #293 on: January 21, 2009, 07:48:52 PM »

Anyone who was betting against her on Intrade just made a lot of money.  She was above 80 (absolutely ridiculous), and has now dropped all the way to 3.6.  Cuomo's now the overwhelming frontrunner on Intrade.

I admitted a long time ago when it was 60/40 that if I had an intrade account I would have bet a few hundred against her.  I wish I had, but I didn't really want to.  Those 60/40 numbers made me almost get an Intrade account.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #294 on: January 21, 2009, 07:54:48 PM »

By the way, for those that want a good bet, I'd bet against Cuomo [supposing you get money for being "right" not just betting on his stock going up.].  He's the most likely candidate, but Paterson is worried that Silver's replacement for AG will be one of Paterson's enemies, which is likely, and Paterson doesn't want a male NYCer.  Cuomo is almost certainly overvalued.  I don't really expect the other candidates stock to rise too much though until the pick itself.  Gillibrand is the only one picking up buzz (as people who aren't in the know are weirdly mentioning her more and more, and you saw that gun control group lob a barrage against her candidacy, and Paterson is talking more about her in press conferences), but I don't really buy the buzz yet.  I think people are just starting to see what I've been seeing all along: women + upstate + fundraiser, and don't have any particularly new info.

mmmmm, what good news to come home to
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #295 on: January 21, 2009, 08:32:45 PM »

Jawbreaker - "Caroline"

[chorus]
Caroline, on the line, never getting through
She's getting tired of reaching out
Every day the same display, The world caught in her eyes
Caroline always seems to cry
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #296 on: January 21, 2009, 08:34:58 PM »

Good.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #297 on: January 21, 2009, 08:47:27 PM »

2.5  -76.5

hahahahahah

I bet on Cuomo days ago.

evidence:

44. Barack Obama 2009-2017
45. Andrew Cuomo 2017-2021
46. Mark Sanford 2021-2029
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #298 on: January 21, 2009, 09:13:22 PM »

This is outdated news, but:

Both Drudge and Politico says the Post is reporting this, which makes it ultra-sketch, but MSNBC is reporting this as the New York Times.  But MSNBC isn't really filled with people smart enough to know the difference.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #299 on: January 21, 2009, 09:15:38 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2009, 09:17:37 PM by Lunar »

By the way, I do not encourage spamming the forum with additional threads.  Especially when they are outdated news and when Lunar and his crack team of analysts hit the news hours ago here.  In this particular instance, it was my crack team of analysts, though.  Wink

But in all fairness I was biking to Safeway to buy my Kalua pig & tropical themed ingredients for my LOST party tonight Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies