Senator Gillibrand
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 11:55:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Senator Gillibrand
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 22
Poll
Question: Who will it be?
Thomas Suozzi

Rep. Kirsten Gillibrand

Nita M. Lowey

State Attorney General Andrew Cuomo

Rep. Steve Israel

Rep. Brian Higgins

Rep. Greg Meeks

Rep. Nydia Velasquez

Robert F. Kennedy Jr.

Caroline Kennedy

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 67

Author Topic: Senator Gillibrand  (Read 58691 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: January 19, 2009, 11:37:58 PM »
« edited: January 19, 2009, 11:39:50 PM by Lunar »

You can ignore their sources, heh.  I use their mid-morning reads and Google news searches (I generally do a sort-by-date search of "suozzi" and "caroline).

I once helped a news story break when I was doing this for "bayh" and I had found a then-recent Indianapolis Star story where Bayh shot down the escalating rumors that Obama was going to select him as VP at an event.  Bayh said if he was chosen at that event he'd be the most surprised man in the room.  I passed the news on to Politico, they said thanks & all of the other political blogs linked to the Politico story.  I could read AP the story on my cell an hour later Tongue  Anyway, long story short, Google news (sorted by date, remember) is a good place to troll for information Smiley
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #251 on: January 19, 2009, 11:42:00 PM »

also, this is a decent place: http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #252 on: January 19, 2009, 11:46:36 PM »

All looks good. Thanks for the tips. That should feed my fix for a while. And just wanted to make sure politicker is good, because they have become my big NY source.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #253 on: January 20, 2009, 03:15:04 AM »

cinyc is right - Dicker usually has the goods on NY state politics intrigue.

Otherwise, trusting what the Post *reports* is indeed a risky proposition.

We'll see.  Should only be a couple of days now before we know the correct answer.  Of course, I divined it was Caroline at the beginning of the year, fwiw.  Tongue

The late Uri Dan used to know of what he wrote about Israel (especially anything Ariel Sharon-related).  Other than that, the Post can be trusted for sports and maybe celebrity gossip - that's about it.

It will likely be Caroline Kennedy.  Governor Paterson is playing with the media to make it seem like the fix wasn't in from the day she announced she was interested.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #254 on: January 20, 2009, 04:13:12 AM »
« Edited: January 20, 2009, 06:13:38 AM by Lunar »

Dicker wasn't stating that it's Caroline - just that some of the contenders were whining that Paterson couldn't resist the Kennedy family.

What is the logic in saying that there's an economic crisis and thus choosing a senator who has experience would make a lot of sense?  Is he trying to make himself look bad?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #255 on: January 20, 2009, 08:10:38 AM »

Alright, when I get home this evening, Paterson better have chosen someone, or else I'll be disappointed. :(
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #256 on: January 20, 2009, 12:23:45 PM »

Alright, when I get home this evening, Paterson better have chosen someone, or else I'll be disappointed. Sad

I doubt it, he says only by this weekend and he still has to review the 28-page questionnaires with his vetting team
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #257 on: January 20, 2009, 12:31:38 PM »

Make sure you tell Governor Paterson you don't want the National Rifle Association, AKA Kirsten Gillibrand [?], to be given the Senate Seat:
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dailypolitics/2009/01/taking-aim-at-gillibrand.html
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #258 on: January 20, 2009, 02:51:20 PM »

Make sure you tell Governor Paterson you don't want the National Rifle Association, AKA Kirsten Gillibrand [?], to be given the Senate Seat:
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dailypolitics/2009/01/taking-aim-at-gillibrand.html

This is getting a disappointing amount of buzz [read: a lot]. Alas, this might kill Kirsten's candidacy.

Now if Paterson chooses Gillibrand, the press will cover it as Paterson being pro-NRA
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #259 on: January 20, 2009, 03:04:14 PM »

there's a strong likelihood that Caroline was the only "candidate" to ever have a chance.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #260 on: January 20, 2009, 03:05:18 PM »

there's a strong likelihood that Caroline was the only "candidate" to ever have a chance.

I disagree.  Right now, Lunar's odds-o-meter actually comes back to think Cillizza was right in the topic post regarding Suozzi
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #261 on: January 20, 2009, 04:28:19 PM »

Paterson speaks:
“You know, I’ve found that one issue that Congresswoman Gillibrand might have in which many might disagree really is not fair to the spectacular work that she has done in the House of Representatives, and has won a seat in an area predominated by the other party twice, the second time going away by 25 percent even when she was outspent by a candidate who raised 7 million dollars. I don’t think it’s fair. I have been very disinterested in the negatives. There haven’t been many, but people walk up to me, say don’t take this one, don’t take that one. I’d rather hear what people think is the right choice, or the choice that they prefer.”

“I think she’s great.”

http://blogs.timesunion.com/capitol/archives/10723/more-from-paterson
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #262 on: January 20, 2009, 04:53:16 PM »

That's one plus for Gillibrand - though I doubt she'll be the woman named to the seat.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #263 on: January 20, 2009, 05:19:16 PM »

As tasteless as this may sound (and I really don't mean it to be tasteless) but I think Ted's incident today basically guarantees Caroline this seat.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #264 on: January 20, 2009, 05:20:18 PM »

As tasteless as this may sound (and I really don't mean it to be tasteless) but I think Ted's incident today basically guarantees Caroline this seat.

Really?  I had the opposite feeling.  He can wield less political influence (to reward & threaten) Paterson now.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #265 on: January 20, 2009, 05:23:26 PM »

Really?  I had the opposite feeling.  He can wield less political influence (to reward & threaten) Paterson now.

ABC is right now reporting that the seizure was brought on by fatigue. If it was worse, I think Paterson would be under a lot of pressure to keep the "Kennedy legacy" going.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #266 on: January 20, 2009, 05:32:08 PM »

Why?  I find the whole idea that there should be at least one Kennedy in the Senate at all times ridiculous.

I'm getting the feeling that maybe Paterson is telling the truth and he hasn't decided yet.  There's probably a lot of pressure from the Kennedy family to pick Caroline, but Paterson knows it's not the right choice and is trying to find a way to pick someone else.
Gillibrand apparently worked for Cuomo when he was Secretary of HUD so maybe that explains his choice not to campaign for the seat, but she appears to be really out of touch with NYC problems.  Most of NY state's population is here in NYC and so is most of its economic activity.  To have a Senator that opposes gun control when even NYC Republicans (or at least most of them) support gun control isn't really smart.  That's just my opinion of course.  Sure, she won a Republican district by being a moderate, but what does that have to do with me?  Republican districts are an anomaly in NY, so it's not like it will help her win in '10 or '12.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #267 on: January 20, 2009, 05:35:24 PM »

The bigger knock against Gillibrand, in my opinion, is her vote against the financial bailout, AKA the bailout of NYC.

Gillibrand already stated [today, natch] she supports lots of compromises and stuff like work to make it more difficult for those with mental illnesses to acquire guns.

I think more important for Gillibrand's chances than Cuomo is the fact that Gillibrand is a close Schumer ally.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #268 on: January 20, 2009, 05:38:14 PM »

Why?  I find the whole idea that there should be at least one Kennedy in the Senate at all times ridiculous.

You're preaching to the choir. I'm not saying I agree with it.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #269 on: January 20, 2009, 06:54:03 PM »

Well, Cornyn's being an ass about the nomination, so we won't know until at least tomorrow.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #270 on: January 20, 2009, 07:42:53 PM »

The bigger knock against Gillibrand, in my opinion, is her vote against the financial bailout, AKA the bailout of NYC.

Gillibrand already stated [today, natch] she supports lots of compromises and stuff like work to make it more difficult for those with mental illnesses to acquire guns.

I think more important for Gillibrand's chances than Cuomo is the fact that Gillibrand is a close Schumer ally.

If you're talking about the financial interests not wanting her, then I suppose you're right, but I doubt the voters will hold that against her.  It's not like everyone in NY works in the financial industry and we lost our jobs because of her.
I also doubt Schumer would actively campaign for her and not for Israel or Nadler.  He would probably be fine with her, but I don't think it makes much of a difference to him.
I really have no clue who Paterson will pick.  I just hope he makes the best decision.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #271 on: January 21, 2009, 12:13:56 AM »
« Edited: January 21, 2009, 12:16:00 AM by Lunar »

Schumer has obviously decided not to actively campaign for anyone, but it's known that she's a Clinton and especially a Schumer protege.  Picking someone you know Schumer will approve of can't hurt, although he's no Bloomberg or Silver.  Honestly, Schumer will be happy with anyone that won't be a bigger star in the Senate than him... so, everyone but Caroline Kennedy.

Well, RE: Gun Rights

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I think she could spin her support of gun rights into support of "hunting" rights and thus annoy the NRA and start opposing handguns and stuff.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #272 on: January 21, 2009, 09:45:22 AM »

I just saw former Rep. Elizabeth Holtzman name dropped in the middle of a list of contenders by Newsday.

She's like 67 and a NY feminist Icon of sorts, maybe a placeholder, dunno.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Holtzman

I'm just saying it so I don't get completely blindsided like I did with the Bennet pick in Colorado
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #273 on: January 21, 2009, 09:49:18 AM »

The decision will come Friday or Saturday, he sayz

http://www.observer.com/mobile/article/81466
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #274 on: January 21, 2009, 09:56:21 AM »

Holtzman, eh? *Interesting* but not actually a bad pick, it would be.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies