Pro-Life vs. Pro-Choice
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:10:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Pro-Life vs. Pro-Choice
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Pro-Life vs. Pro-Choice  (Read 8945 times)
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 21, 2008, 12:18:55 PM »

Northeast:
Connecticut Choice-68% Life-26%
Delaware Choice-63% Life-31%
Maine Choice-63% Life-33%
Maryland Choice-65% Life-29%
Massachusetts Choice-68% Life-28%
New Hampshire Choice-67% Life-29%
New Jersey Choice-63% Life-31%
New York Choice-66% Life-27%
Pennsylvania Choice-51% Life-44%
Rhode Island Choice-63% Life-32%
Vermont Choice-70% Life-25%

Alabama Life-54% Choice-36%
Arkansas Life-55% Choice-40%
Florida Choice-58% Life-36%
Georgia Choice-52% Life-43%
Kentucky Life-51% Choice-42%
Louisiana Life-57% Choice-36%
Mississippi Life-53% Choice-39%
North Carolina Choice-47% Life-44%
Oklahoma Life-48% Choice-47%
South Carolina Choice-47% Life-43%
Tennessee Life-51% Choice-42%
Texas Choice-52% Life-43%
Virginia Choice-54% Life-39%
West Virginia Life-53% Choice-39%

Midwest:
Illinois Choice-58% Life-33%
Indiana Life-50% Choice-47%
Iowa Choice-56% Life-41%
Kansas Choice-50% Life-45%
Michigan Choice-55% Life-42%
Minnesota Choice-56% Life-39%
Missouri Life-48% Choice-45%
Nebraska Choice-49% Life-47%
North Dakota Choice-47% Life-47%
Ohio Choice-52% Life-42%
South Dakota Life-49% Choice-47%
Wisconsin Choice-57% Life-39%

West:
Alaska Choice-58% Life-37%
Arizona Choice-56% Life-39%
California Choice-65% Life-28%
Colorado Choice-61% Life-34%
Hawaii Choice-57% Life-35%
Idaho Life-55% Choice-41%
Montana Choice-53% Life-42%
Nevada Choice-64% Life-32%
New Mexico Choice-56% Life-39%
Oregon Choice-62% Life-33%
Utah Life-61% Choice-33%
Washington Choice-63% Life-32%
Wyoming Choice-57% Life-39%
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 01:06:09 PM »

Pulling numbers out of your ass?
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 01:15:08 PM »

stop trolling
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 02:08:31 PM »

These are numbers from Survey USA 50 state polling, sometime in 2005 or 2006. You can find them on the website jackass.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 03:24:39 PM »

A poll is just a poll, and there's clearly a margin for error here, especially since there's ambiguity around the edges as to what the terms pro-life and pro-choice actually mean.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 03:27:33 PM »

These are numbers from Survey USA 50 state polling, sometime in 2005 or 2006. You can find them on the website jackass.

How about numbers from 2008?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 03:43:19 PM »

How about numbers from 2008?

They shift with wording. They don't really shift over time.

The wording on that one was probably one that encouraged relatively many pro-life responses.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 03:50:50 PM »
« Edited: December 15, 2008, 08:46:14 AM by Dave Leip »

Well, if this is demonstrative, if not accurate- if Roe is ever overturned, we can expect this to happen, according to the abortion results in 2008-

Basically a state that was +2 voted -10 on the typical pro-life position. Here are the states that will make abortion illegal with the exceptions of rape, incest, immediate maternal death and permanent physical health or fewer exceptions-

nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 09:30:39 PM »

nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 11:43:21 PM »

There does seem to be a pattern that the pro-choice states are trending Dem and the pro-life states are trending GOP.
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 02:35:54 AM »

South Carolina, Georgia, Kansas all pro-choice??? I don't believe it.
Would you please put a link with this topic?
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 11:11:30 AM »

http://surveyusa.com/50State2005/50StateAbortion0805SortedbyState.htm
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 11:24:05 AM »

What's with states not summing to 100 (by more than just rounding)? I mean it's one thing when it's two major candidates and a minor party candidate, but how is there a third option to choose here?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 11:26:37 AM »

What's with states not summing to 100 (by more than just rounding)? I mean it's one thing when it's two major candidates and a minor party candidate, but how is there a third option to choose here?
If I'm to believe this link (and hey, it's SUSA!) the question here was "On abortion, are you pro-life? Or pro-choice?" I'm just surprised there weren't more people who said "I don't know. I mean, it's complicated you know?"
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 12:16:45 PM »

Note that South Dakotans tell pollsters they're pro-life by a narrow margin, but every chance they've had to vote on it, they've voted pro-choice.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 01:28:57 PM »

Hmm so the map doesn't look good for the pro-lifers out there. Considering supposed "pro-life" states are voting the pro-choice position by double digits, it doesn't look good for them at all. I think its time Roe v. Wade was overturned just so the pro-lifers understand what a minority they are. Most people I think have a moderate position where they want to put restrictions on when abortions can be done and why, but certainly don't want to ban it at all times even with exceptions for rape, incest and the mother's "health"(quotes courtesy of John Mccain).
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2008, 02:20:42 AM »

Of course we know that we're a minority. However, that doesn't mean we change our beliefs.
Workers' Friend
Bob Dole
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: 9.48

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2008, 02:30:53 AM »

GA, SC, and KS all Choice? What sh**t are you on?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2008, 02:42:36 AM »

It's not that unimaginable. I mean, when people vote on your issue in places like Wyoming in 1994 and South Dakota in 2006 and 2008, you have to understand that people just really don't care about this issue. There is just a really vocal and small minority that is running the debate. Hell, I would say that about 80% of abortion prohibitionists are Religious Right.  Overturning Roe may give people are chance to reconsider their opinion, but it may just cause more disgust against the religious right. Another thing that I noticed in the exit polls is that the highest rate of opposition was with 20-somethings. The religious right likes to talk about how they are making inroads with younger, otherwise progressive people. And there might be some truth with that. However, from personal expierence, I realise that most people, include myself, go through a phase where they are extremely conservative on abortion between the ages of 12 and 19 (though I began to come around by 17 and was waffling until 19)...hell, when I was 19 and 20, I flirted with libertarianism because I was so liberal on social issues, that I was willing to sacrifice social justice just to keep the RR at bay....and I even tried to out-republican republicans on economic issues...until I had a kid. That changed everything.

The point is that maybe there is a board pro-life left-right, grandparent and grandchild coalition out there, but it hasn't made a difference when the electorate were asked to vote on the issue in person.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2008, 02:51:39 AM »

Of course we know that we're a minority. However, that doesn't mean we change our beliefs.

I didn't ask anyone to change their beliefs, just pointing out that this country is basically pro-choice. I have many reservations about abortions and certainly don't want to insult anyone's point of view, but I must say republicans really pretend as if the country is with them on the issue when it isn't. They must realize this if they want to win elections.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2008, 03:10:12 AM »

SC and GA aren't as conservative socially as Alabama, Mississippi and other deep south places.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 03:18:34 AM »

I didn't ask anyone to change their beliefs, just pointing out that this country is basically pro-choice. I have many reservations about abortions and certainly don't want to insult anyone's point of view, but I must say republicans really pretend as if the country is with them on the issue when it isn't. They must realize this if they want to win elections.

I haven't really paid attention to that, though didn't the Democrats used to pretend that the country was with them on gun control? I guess the Republicans should do the same thing & forget about the issue.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2008, 04:04:23 AM »

I haven't really paid attention to that, though didn't the Democrats used to pretend that the country was with them on gun control? I guess the Republicans should do the same thing & forget about the issue.

Yeah gun control is similar in some ways.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2008, 11:12:40 AM »

It seems as if lots of people are mushily pro-life on this issue unless pressed, when they go to pro-choice, and Kansas is a state where the Republican Party has been nearly split in two over this issue. Saying you're pro-life may mean that you identify with the Phill Kline wing of the party.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2008, 11:16:09 AM »

It seems as if lots of people are mushily pro-life on this issue unless pressed, when they go to pro-choice, and Kansas is a state where the Republican Party has been nearly split in two over this issue. Saying you're pro-life may mean that you identify with the Phill Kline wing of the party.

That's how it is in the remaining red states outside of the old south and jello belt.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies