John McCain won three precincts in the state of Hawai'i
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:23:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  John McCain won three precincts in the state of Hawai'i
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: John McCain won three precincts in the state of Hawai'i  (Read 6264 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 21, 2008, 07:21:00 AM »

I demand a recount! I demand all three precincts be recounted until they show a majority for the Chosen One!

*cough* anyways. Name and Shame'em:

Precinct 16-07 is Niihau island. John McCain received 35 votes, Barack Obama 4, and Cynthia McKinney 1. This represents something of an improvement on 2004 when George Bush received 39 votes, David Cobb 1 and John Kerry 0. Grin

Precinct 32-03 is located right at the mouth of Pearl Harbour, on the eastern side. It includes Hickam AFB and Honolulu Int'l Airport. John McCain received 231 votes, Barack Obama 198 and other candidates 3.

Precinct 46-01 is the western half of the town of Laie, on the northeast coast of Oahu near the northern tip. John McCain received 389 votes, Barack Obama 354, and other candidates 15.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 10:01:21 AM »

Precinct 16-07 is Niihau island. John McCain received 35 votes, Barack Obama 4, and Cynthia McKinney 1. This represents something of an improvement on 2004 when George Bush received 39 votes, David Cobb 1 and John Kerry 0. Grin

I would love to know what sort of campaign news Niihau voters received and how much their island's owner filtered it through to them. Do they vote in state elections at a higher rate, and for whom?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 10:07:26 AM »

Mazie Hirono's sacrificial challenger won 33-7. The losing Republican candidate for State Senate won 37-3.
They've voted for Inouye and/or Akaka in the recent past though IIRC.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 10:50:41 AM »

Laie swung 68 points.  Good lord.
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 11:33:04 AM »

Wikipedia article about Keith Robinson. He co-owns Niihua, one of the three that voted for Mccain. I sympathize with him and fully understand the reason that the natives voted as they did.

Keith Robinson is the manager of the Kauai Wildlife Reserve, a Botanical Garden on the Hawaiian Island of Kauai.[1] As an heir of Eliza Sinclair, Keith owns the Hawaiian island of Niihau with his brother Bruce Robinson. His distinctive traits include wearing denim jeans, a green hard hat, and a Glock pistol in a shoulder holster, carrying a machete, and driving a 1984 Nissan 4x4 pickup truck or a Spanish Lambretta. Keith Robinson stands 5'10" tall and weighs 165 lbs.[2]
Keith attended University of California Davis and graduated with a degree in agronomy and ranch management. After college, Keith served in the US Army before returning to Hawaii. Upon returning to Hawaii, Keith worked Koolau Ranch on Kauai seven years and operated a commercial fishing vessel on Kauai for another seven years.
Keith Robinson has been credited for keeping numerous plants from becoming extinct,[3] including the Cyanea Pinnatifida grown by Keith Robinson, but still on the list of extinct plants. "I've spent eighteen years and more than $250,000 doing this work, and I estimate it would cost the government or environmental groups $10-20 million to create a comparable reserve. I've done all phases of it myself; scouting, seed collecting, seed germination, planting, transplanting, watering, growing, fencing, fertilizing, and insecticide spraying. In most environmental groups or botanical gardens, the work is highly compartmentalized. You get your plant scouts, your seed collectors, your nurserymen, and people on the grounds. They all have different duties, and their duties never change, so none of them has a broad overview of what's going on. They don't know what specific problems there are at various stages where you're trying to produce the plants."[4]
Keith Robinson has openly expressed concerns about his family's ability to continue to maintain private ownership of Niihau due to government and environmental groups. There are environmental lawsuits against the family by groups such as Earthjustice,[5] and paying taxes on the island casts an extremely heavy burden on the profits of the Robinsons' interests in agricultural companies on Kauai. Keith Robinson has compared his plight on Niihau to Ruby Ridge and the Waco Siege, threatening to defend his island with force if necessary.[6]
Keith and Bruce Robinson have been offered over one billion dollars US for Niihau, and turned it down.[7] Keith had repeatedly expressed his hopes to keep Niihau private to preserve the environment and traditions of the 150 to 200 native Hawaiian inhabitants and has occasionally taken large losses to do so. Keith has stated "I estimate that we have lost somewhere between $8-9 million trying to keep people employed. This figure does not count income loss from giving free housing and free meat to a community of 150-200 people."[8]
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 02:00:40 PM »

Laie is something of the capital of Native Hawai'ian Mormonism. Go figure.

It's also the seat of Brigham Young University's Hawaii Campus. Brigham Young University being a university, it's over on the democratic side of town.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 02:04:08 PM »

It's also the seat of Brigham Young University's Hawaii Campus. Brigham Young University being a university, it's over on the democratic side of town.

BYU being more Democratic than the rest of the town?  Big Native Hawai'ian swing.  BYU is the Republican part of Provo.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 02:06:58 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2008, 02:30:38 PM by Lewis "Scooter" Trondheim »

BYU being more Democratic than the rest of the town?  Big Native Hawai'ian swing.  BYU is the Republican part of Provo.
Maybe I should verify that by looking it's location up on a more detailed map... but it wouldn't be surprising for BYU Provo and BYU Laie not to be correlated much.

Edit: Checked. Verified. Basically 46-1 is most of the town proper, and 47-1 is the campus and a small part of the town and some adjoining territory to the southeast. The Polynesian Cultural Center is in 47-1. The Temple is in 46-1.

47-1 voted Obama 999, McCain 639, others 50.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 02:33:28 PM »

How did Maui County precinct 13-12 vote?  That's Kalawao County.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 02:36:21 PM »

0-0 silly. You know that already. The result you're looking for is Mail 30 (13:12).

Obama 24, McCain 6, Nader 1.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 03:52:16 PM »

0-0 silly. You know that already. The result you're looking for is Mail 30 (13:12).

Pfft, that's still 13-12, just a separate VBM listing for it.  Tongue

I see these are on the Atlas.  Go Dave!  (Or Lewis?)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 04:07:05 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2008, 04:09:50 PM by Lewis "Scooter" Trondheim »

Must be Dave. (Where on the Atlas? I don't see it.)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 04:43:21 PM »

Must be Dave. (Where on the Atlas? I don't see it.)

Do you have a membership?  Click on the Hawai'ian county names and it comes up.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 06:23:08 PM »

I've always wondered what a "Walk" precinct is?  Early walk-in votes?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 12:56:32 AM »

Wikipedia article about Keith Robinson. He co-owns Niihua, one of the three that voted for Mccain. I sympathize with him and fully understand the reason that the natives voted as they did.

Keith Robinson is the manager of the Kauai Wildlife Reserve, a Botanical Garden on the Hawaiian Island of Kauai.[1] As an heir of Eliza Sinclair, Keith owns the Hawaiian island of Niihau with his brother Bruce Robinson. His distinctive traits include wearing denim jeans, a green hard hat, and a Glock pistol in a shoulder holster, carrying a machete, and driving a 1984 Nissan 4x4 pickup truck or a Spanish Lambretta. Keith Robinson stands 5'10" tall and weighs 165 lbs.[2]
Keith attended University of California Davis and graduated with a degree in agronomy and ranch management. After college, Keith served in the US Army before returning to Hawaii. Upon returning to Hawaii, Keith worked Koolau Ranch on Kauai seven years and operated a commercial fishing vessel on Kauai for another seven years.
Keith Robinson has been credited for keeping numerous plants from becoming extinct,[3] including the Cyanea Pinnatifida grown by Keith Robinson, but still on the list of extinct plants. "I've spent eighteen years and more than $250,000 doing this work, and I estimate it would cost the government or environmental groups $10-20 million to create a comparable reserve. I've done all phases of it myself; scouting, seed collecting, seed germination, planting, transplanting, watering, growing, fencing, fertilizing, and insecticide spraying. In most environmental groups or botanical gardens, the work is highly compartmentalized. You get your plant scouts, your seed collectors, your nurserymen, and people on the grounds. They all have different duties, and their duties never change, so none of them has a broad overview of what's going on. They don't know what specific problems there are at various stages where you're trying to produce the plants."[4]
Keith Robinson has openly expressed concerns about his family's ability to continue to maintain private ownership of Niihau due to government and environmental groups. There are environmental lawsuits against the family by groups such as Earthjustice,[5] and paying taxes on the island casts an extremely heavy burden on the profits of the Robinsons' interests in agricultural companies on Kauai. Keith Robinson has compared his plight on Niihau to Ruby Ridge and the Waco Siege, threatening to defend his island with force if necessary.[6]
Keith and Bruce Robinson have been offered over one billion dollars US for Niihau, and turned it down.[7] Keith had repeatedly expressed his hopes to keep Niihau private to preserve the environment and traditions of the 150 to 200 native Hawaiian inhabitants and has occasionally taken large losses to do so. Keith has stated "I estimate that we have lost somewhere between $8-9 million trying to keep people employed. This figure does not count income loss from giving free housing and free meat to a community of 150-200 people."[8]

A guy famous for holding a machete and carrying a glock under his armpit?  Sounds like an Obama voter to me, I don't know what happened.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 04:29:39 AM »

I've always wondered what a "Walk" precinct is?  Early walk-in votes?
I'm pretty sure of it.

But while we're doing strange counting thingees, Maryland breaks results down into day voting, absentee, provisional, and absentee #2. What's that - valid absentee votes that arrived after polling day?
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2008, 05:12:56 PM »

Well, I'm surprised. Does anyone know how Manoa voted? I think these are the precincts in district 24. Its where my grandparents live and the university.

Also, what precinct was the best for Obama in Hawaii?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2008, 05:26:52 PM »

Well, I'm surprised. Does anyone know how Manoa voted? I think these are the precincts in district 24. Its where my grandparents live and the university.

University Laboratory School (24-03) was 78-20 Obama

Also, what precinct was the best for Obama in Hawaii?

Both in Maui County:

Keanae Elementary School: Obama 78, McCain 8
Kaulanapueo Church (Huelo): Obama 267, McCain 25, Other 8

Basically, the Hana area was generally his best.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2008, 01:34:27 PM »

Obama won 41% of those describing themselves as conservative, and 22% of Republicans. Wow.

McCain also only won four precincts in Vermont.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2008, 03:48:42 PM »

Obama won 41% of those describing themselves as conservative, and 22% of Republicans. Wow.

McCain also only won four precincts in Vermont.
Ah, but in that case four precincts equals four towns. Smiley
RBH

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2010, 01:14:54 AM »

Niihau's full results are bloc-a-riffic.

President: McCain 35, Obama 4, McKinney 1, 1 over vote
Congress: Evans 33, Hirono 7, 1 blank
State Senate: Georgi 37, Hooser 3, 1 blank
BOE Hawaii: Watanbe 6, Sanborn 2, 33 blanks
BOE Kauai: Cox 9, 32 blanks
OHA At-Large: Apoliona 3, Kippen 1, 37 blanks
OHA Hawaii: Lindsey 1, Meyers 1, 39 blanks
OHA Kauai: Cataluna 39, 2 blanks
OHA Molokai: Machado 2, 39 blanks

Kauai Mayor: Carvalho 39, Yukimura 1, 1 blank
Kauai Council (7 to be elected): Kouchi 36, Kawakami 35, Kaneshiro 5, Kealoha 3, Libre 3, Asing 2, Chang 2, Kawahara 2, Bynum 1, Furfaro 1, Kualii 1, Thronas 1, 195 blanks (an average of 4.7 blank spots out of 7, for all 41 voters)

Constitutional Convention: 34-6 Yes (failed on Kauai)
Age Qualification: 41-0 No (failed on Kauai)

Kauai (Relating to County Elections): 39-2 Yes (passed on Kauai)
Kauai (Relating to County Council Executive Meetings): 40-1 Yes (passed on Kauai)
Kauai (Relating to Boards and Commissions): 38-3 Yes (failed on Kauai)
Kauai (Relating to the Disclosure of Interests): 40-1 No (passed on Kauai)
Kauai (Relating to the Office of the County Auditor): 40-1 Yes (passed on Kauai)
Kauai (Relating to the Implementation of the General Plan): 39-0 Yes (passed on Kauai)

the blank vote percentage total on Kauai

President: 0.9% (251)
Congress: 11.5% (3153)
State Senator: 8.9% (2451)
BOE Hawaii: 38.1% (10487)
BOE Kauai: 25.9% (7120)
OHA At-Large: 43.9% (12083)
OHA Hawaii: 59% (16220)
OHA Kauai: 44.2% (12158) - uncontested race
OHA Molokai: 61.1% (16806)
Kauai Mayor: 3.4% (932)
Kauai Council: 29.3% (56395, an average of two blank spots per voter)
Cons. Convention: 8.6% (2364)
Age Qualification: 8.8% (2418)
Kauai County Elections: 12.9% (3555)
Kauai County Council Exec Meetings: 11.8% (3256)
Kauai Boards & Commissions: 16.1% (4419)
Kauai Disclosure of Interests: 13.9% (3809)
Kauai County Auditor: 14.9% (4110)
Kauai General Plan: 20.2% (5550)

The voting on Niihue smells of either heavy bloc voting or daisy chain voting (where someone outside the booth marks ballots for voters and they bring out the unmarked ballot they got to be marked by the person). I will note that nobody's really going to get nailed for fraud in a precinct where 40 votes are cast. Since it'd cost more to prosecute than it's really worth.

Granted, there's the matter that phones, radios, and televisions aren't allowed on Niihue and nobody can visit without permission. And the thing where if anybody raised a fuss, they'd probably lose their houses since one family owns the entire island.

Always good to have reminders of how our republic has some pretty questionable areas in regards to voting.
RBH

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2010, 01:59:15 AM »

digging througn Newsbank, I found that Niihue voted absentee exclusively from 1980 to 2000.

And Niihue's 2002 primary vote ended at 10am after officials found that everybody who wanted to vote had already voted. Uh yeah.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2010, 02:45:14 AM »

This is why absentee voting is bad.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2010, 04:00:23 AM »

digging througn Newsbank, I found that Niihue voted absentee exclusively from 1980 to 2000.
As Kalawao still does.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies