MN Sen Recount (UPDATE: Stuart Smalley certified winner, lawsuit forthcoming)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 05:34:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MN Sen Recount (UPDATE: Stuart Smalley certified winner, lawsuit forthcoming)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41
Author Topic: MN Sen Recount (UPDATE: Stuart Smalley certified winner, lawsuit forthcoming)  (Read 120475 times)
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #850 on: December 26, 2008, 03:37:20 AM »

In Minnesota it is good who has triumphed over evil.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #851 on: December 26, 2008, 03:50:21 PM »

So much for my (our) theory that the Franken campaign's counts of what the recount looked like without frivolous challenges included a lot of wishful thinking.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #852 on: December 26, 2008, 05:26:17 PM »

So much for my (our) theory that the Franken campaign's counts of what the recount looked like without frivolous challenges included a lot of wishful thinking.

I never quite bought into that.  It was suspect to the question that some people recorded the on-sight election judge's original opinion on the matter incorrectly, but how many would intentionally do that to the campaign?  And I wasn't quite of the belief that the Franken campaign would skew the numbers 20 points in favor of itself on this sort of number since they were long intentionally vague whenever things didn't necessarily favor of them "under 100" instead of specific numbers and so on.

But yeah.  This race is donzo + a dozen lawsuits that won't go nowhere + some absentees that Coleman will hedge on but will add to Franken's total
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #853 on: December 28, 2008, 10:38:29 PM »

A video of the committee that is examining the rejected ballots:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTg55m5YIwc

These guys are morons!

And this is the guy who wrote Lizard People on his ballot:

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2008/12/lizard_people_v_1.php
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #854 on: December 28, 2008, 10:40:39 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

ahaahahah

justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #855 on: December 28, 2008, 10:54:12 PM »

He talks about it here:
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2008/11/23/so_why_would_someone_for_the_lizard_people/
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #856 on: December 28, 2008, 11:20:44 PM »

if the Illuminati were real, they would have ensured that this ballot was counted for Franken.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #857 on: December 29, 2008, 12:23:47 AM »

A video of the committee that is examining the rejected ballots:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTg55m5YIwc

These guys are morons!

And this is the guy who wrote Lizard People on his ballot:

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2008/12/lizard_people_v_1.php

A hippie. What a shocker.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #858 on: December 29, 2008, 12:35:15 AM »
« Edited: December 29, 2008, 12:36:52 AM by Lunar »

Wow, the first mainstream outlet (that I've noticed) has proclaimed Franken the likely winner.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/12/28/franken-should-be-seated_n_153796.html

Way to be on the breaking edge of the wave HuffingtonPost!

However, there is this historical peach for those of us who prefer the Louisiana way of things:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #859 on: December 29, 2008, 12:50:36 AM »

Stop depressing me, Lunar. Sad
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #860 on: December 29, 2008, 01:39:27 AM »

As a Democrat, I didn't want him to win either.  But you were the one calling the race for Franken on this thread long before the facts came in.  Might as well get used to it.

Having 59 seats is bad for Dems for another reason - every single race in 2010 will become a referendum on 60.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #861 on: December 29, 2008, 01:50:57 AM »

As a Democrat, I didn't want him to win either.  But you were the one calling the race for Franken on this thread long before the facts came in.  Might as well get used to it.

Having 59 seats is bad for Dems for another reason - every single race in 2010 will become a referendum on 60.

They cant make every race that way.  There is a good chance that Democrats could lose a seat and then it wouldn't be 60. 
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #862 on: December 29, 2008, 01:55:03 AM »

They cant make every race that way.  There is a good chance that Democrats could lose a seat and then it wouldn't be 60. 

Oh, they can make that argument in every race and they will.

Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #863 on: December 29, 2008, 02:02:11 AM »

Oh, they can make that argument in every race and they will.

Not against Democratic incumbents.  They can simply say "59 + 0 does not equal 60". 
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #864 on: December 29, 2008, 02:07:39 AM »

The Democrats have... one "vulnerable" seat in 2010 in Reid's seat?  I suppose the hopeful people might look at CO, IL, NY, HI, CT, and WI?  2010 is largely the year of Republican defense.

I mean, the ratio of Democratic seats to Republican seats in 2010 compared to other years (due to coincidence) is staggering, although slightly less so thanks to CO-DE-IL-NY which recently became open. 

Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #865 on: December 29, 2008, 02:17:29 AM »

I understand, it's just that it's so difficult for me to understand why anyone would vote for such a clown to represent their state.  Obviously, I'm bitter, and deservedly so.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #866 on: December 29, 2008, 02:17:57 AM »

The Democrats have... one "vulnerable" seat in 2010 in Reid's seat?  I suppose the hopeful people might look at CO, IL, NY, HI, CT, and WI?  2010 is largely the year of Republican defense.

I mean, the ratio of Democratic seats to Republican seats in 2010 compared to other years (due to coincidence) is staggering, although slightly less so thanks to CO-DE-IL-NY which recently became open. 

I agree here.  If Democrats have a bad year, they could still end up with no net loss in the Senate.  This is basically what happened in 1982.  Republicans actually picked up a seat that year because Democrats had so many seats to defend.  
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #867 on: December 29, 2008, 02:27:22 AM »

I understand, it's just that it's so difficult for me to understand why anyone would vote for such a clown to represent their state.  Obviously, I'm bitter, and deservedly so.

Not the first time a clown has been elected.

Meh, at least this clown helps your broader cause in multiple ways

I agree here.  If Democrats have a bad year, they could still end up with no net loss in the Senate.  This is basically what happened in 1982.  Republicans actually picked up a seat that year because Democrats had so many seats to defend.  

Smiley  Yeah, just mentioning that the "keep it below 60" argument should apply in the vast majority of competitive races in 2010.

If I had a Republican investor friend asking me for honest advice, I can't say I'd suggest investing it in any GOP challenger at this point.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #868 on: December 29, 2008, 02:36:02 AM »

As a Democrat, I didn't want him to win either. 

Yeah, you're some Democrat.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #869 on: December 29, 2008, 02:41:29 AM »

Ah, I'm a pit more forward looking than some other Democrats.

I think it's better for our party to be at 58 than 59 senators, and I think Franken is unappealing to a lot of people we're trying to reach out to.

Maybe I'm a bit of a pragmatist, but worthy of snarky comments?  Fssssh
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #870 on: December 29, 2008, 02:42:55 AM »

Talking about preventing total Democratic dominance of the Senate should play really well in a midterm year.  Midterm voters aren't geniuses, but they're much smarter about politics than your average 2008 voter.

Talk about filibusters will be all over Fox News and the usual GOP outlets, so one would imagine that Republicans will understand the stakes.  Take a look at an internal poll sometime—these kinds of arguements work surprisingly well with politically interested Indy voters. 
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #871 on: December 29, 2008, 02:46:38 AM »

Talking about preventing total Democratic dominance of the Senate should play really well in a midterm year.  Midterm voters aren't geniuses, but they're much smarter about politics than your average 2008 voter.

Talk about filibusters will be all over Fox News and the usual GOP outlets, so one would imagine that Republicans will understand the stakes.  Take a look at an internal poll sometime—these kinds of arguements work surprisingly well with politically interested Indy voters. 

It's important to remember that these arguments, especially if they get boggled down in explanations of cloture votes, have limited effectiveness.  But they *do* reach a limited but undeniably[ish] significant amount of people who are undecided between the two candidates personally but do not like Nanci Pelosi or possibly Barack Obama (forget Reid, no one knows who he is).

For example, Sebelius, who would be far more effective of a senator than Franken, even if I can't name any policy disagreements between the two, will be quite hampered if she goes for Brownback's open seat.  I think she's a bit more favored than some other forumites here, but it'll be a steeper climb that it would otherwise have been if Franken had lost.

And, of course, like I've said a million times, the ideal scenario was for Coleman to "steal" the election, thus pissing off activists to work four times as hard in 2010.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #872 on: December 29, 2008, 02:49:58 AM »

The "total control" argument could be very effective in 2010, but at the same time the GOP should be very careful. If they use the filibuster incessantly and block much of Obama's agenda, the opposite affect could occur - Democrats could effectively make a case that the Republicans are obstructing Obama's agenda and they only way to get over it is to throw even more out.

Both parties need to be careful not to overuse the power they've been given.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #873 on: December 29, 2008, 10:06:43 AM »

Does that really matter, though? Either the Democratic government will be popular, in which case this argument will go over like a lead balloon, or it will be unpopular, in which case they don't need this detailed an argument for voting out Democrats.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #874 on: December 29, 2008, 11:53:35 AM »

Does that really matter, though? Either the Democratic government will be popular, in which case this argument will go over like a lead balloon, or it will be unpopular, in which case they don't need this detailed an argument for voting out Democrats.

Well, if Obama is unpopular in that state, then yes, it's a more explicit way to link the challenger to supporting Obama, no matter how conservative the Democrat's credentials may be.

Even if he is popular, they can still make the "blank check" argument and win SOME converts.  The [whorish] media is totally willing to argue it for the GOP too despite the fact that 60 seats means nothing.

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies