McCain IS running for reelection
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 12:31:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  McCain IS running for reelection
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: McCain IS running for reelection  (Read 2814 times)
BM
BeccaM
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 18, 2008, 09:01:09 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.rollcall.com/news/30267-1.html

Well we know Janet Napolitano isn't Obama's AG. If she doesn't take any other cabinet position, she could give JMac a run for his money.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 09:06:53 PM »

The race should be interesting if she runs.  I still think that McCain has the advantage, but who knows.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 09:29:23 PM »

I hope Napolitano still runs. We shouldn't let McCain get away with a free Senate seat.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 09:41:44 PM »

Hubris is a dangerous thing. That's all.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 09:44:26 PM »

Just because he says he's running doesn't mean he is. It would be stupid for him to announce his retirement already.

Whether he runs or not, Janet Napolitano has no excuse not to challenge him as she will be term-limited in 2010.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 10:00:48 PM »

John Warner was also running for re-election in 2008 at one point.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 10:30:57 PM »

McCain is going to die in office, as I have said countless times before.

Considering the likely environment in 2010, unless McCain pulls a William Roth or has something else really damaging happen, I sincerely doubt he can be taken out.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 10:32:26 PM »

Considering the likely environment in 2010, unless McCain pulls a William Roth or has something else really damaging happen, I sincerely doubt he can be taken out.

Hell, he only got 54% of the vote in his home state against Obama. Not impossible for Napolitano to win.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 10:37:21 PM »

Hell, he only got 54% of the vote in his home state against Obama. Not impossible for Napolitano to win.

I never said it was impossible.  Just unlikely.  As much as I expect things to be a couple of years.  Talk to me then and maybe I'll change my mind.

And 54% in Prez race (which means you can add a few points of margin for a Senate incumbent) is nothing to sneeze at in a year such as this one...
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 11:02:02 PM »

McCain would win, but it would be very close
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: -5.39

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 01:14:39 AM »

It would be close, relative to McCain's past victories, but not that close. McCain wins by 7 (+/- 5).
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 07:01:04 PM »

Napolitano won't run against McCain if she knows what's good for her.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 10:20:04 PM »

Now that she's been named as part of the Obama administration, McCain will probably be in the Senate until the day he dies.
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 11:44:43 PM »

Now that she's been named as part of the Obama administration, McCain will probably be in the Senate until the day he dies.

I have a feeling McCain's going to live to be 96 or so... so that'd be 2032-ish?

Sweet.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 12:17:09 AM »

McCain could be the Byrd of the late 2020's, that is, if Byrd ever dies.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 08:15:44 AM »

I think the Democrats in the Senate have been playing Weekend At Bernie's with Byrd for a few years now.

Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2008, 10:23:06 AM »

Not to be macabre or anything, but it's a disconnect to talk about McCain living for decades to come given how differently this subject was discussed this year in the election and knowing his record.

When he gave up five years for his country in the Hanoi Hilton, he undoubtedly also gave up some of his long-term health.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2008, 10:47:56 AM »

Not to be macabre or anything, but it's a disconnect to talk about McCain living for decades to come given how differently this subject was discussed this year in the election and knowing his record.

When he gave up five years for his country in the Hanoi Hilton, he undoubtedly also gave up some of his long-term health.

True, but of course looking at his mother - if he has some of those genes in his health palette, the sky's the limit.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 10:52:32 AM »

True, but of course looking at his mother - if he has some of those genes in his health palette, the sky's the limit.

True--but my first thought after your comment was of Rose Kennedy and Ted Kennedy.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 12:43:38 PM »

aside from his war injuries, he appears to be in pretty good health, and 73 isn't that old by Senate standards. He'll run in 2010, and probably in 2016 too. I can totally see him in a role similar to what Robert Byrd has now. Remember that fellow Arizonan Barry Goldwater stayed in the senate for more than 20 years after his failed presidential bid, finally retiring in 1986 at the age of 77, though he ultimately lived to 89.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2008, 03:55:24 PM »

aside from his war injuries, he appears to be in pretty good health

I recall a lot of discussion about the likelihood of his melanoma returning, and continuing to return.

Again, I have no wish for him to die at anything but a naturally old age and happily doing his job well, but this is how it was discussed this past year.
Nixon in '80
nixon1980
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2008, 05:10:06 PM »

aside from his war injuries, he appears to be in pretty good health

I recall a lot of discussion about the likelihood of his melanoma returning, and continuing to return.

Again, I have no wish for him to die at anything but a naturally old age and happily doing his job well, but this is how it was discussed this past year.

But now the pressure's off. He'll live for another twenty years out of delicious irony.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2008, 08:38:27 PM »

I have a got feeling Byrd might not be around by the next Prez election. Last time I saw him he had go down hill relatively fast from say where he was last year.

I still think McCain may change his mind especially if Napolitano becomes Sec of Homeland Security b/c there is less pressure for him to run jsut so the GOP can hold the seat. Thought I doubt McCain really cares about that very much. Beyond the Govenor who is a strong Democrat candidate that could take on some one like Shaddegg or Flake moreorless McCain.

If Napolitano becomes a Secretary who becomes Govenor of AZ? They don't have a Lt. Gov so I would assume either State Senate President or maybe state Secretary of state Jan Brewer(R). Anybody know?
Daniel Adams
Georgia

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: 2.43

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2008, 08:42:17 PM »

I have a got feeling Byrd might not be around by the next Prez election. Last time I saw him he had go down hill relatively fast from say where he was last year.

I still think McCain may change his mind especially if Napolitano becomes Sec of Homeland Security b/c there is less pressure for him to run jsut so the GOP can hold the seat. Thought I doubt McCain really cares about that very much. Beyond the Govenor who is a strong Democrat candidate that could take on some one like Shaddegg or Flake moreorless McCain.

If Napolitano becomes a Secretary who becomes Govenor of AZ? They don't have a Lt. Gov so I would assume either State Senate President or maybe state Secretary of state Jan Brewer(R). Anybody know?
Secretary of State Brewer will replace Napolitano.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies