Is it elitist to be condescending toward all people who believe Obama is Muslim?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:07:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is it elitist to be condescending toward all people who believe Obama is Muslim?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is it elitist to be condescending toward all people who believe Obama is Muslim?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: Is it elitist to be condescending toward all people who believe Obama is Muslim?  (Read 1528 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 12, 2008, 11:58:24 AM »

Is it elitist to be condescending toward all people who believe Obama is a Muslim?

Some people here seem to think so.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 01:34:02 PM »

It is elitist to be condescending towards anybody who deserves condescension. That is the definition of "elitist" in the political discourse.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 03:14:58 PM »

no. Such people are willfully ignorant and almost certainly racist.
Daniel Z
Switzerland

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 03:59:33 PM »

Of course not.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 04:12:58 PM »

Yes, it is.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 04:59:32 PM »

The claim that Obama is a Muslim has been so thoroughly debunked so many times that the only reason one could continue to believe it is willful ignorance, or else citing this supposed fact, knowing full well that it's false, to mask the fact that they aren't voting for him because he's black.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 05:30:03 PM »

Ugh...

Plenty of people think Obama is a Muslim because that's what they've heard. If someone told me, "BRTD is a Catholic" and I didn't know much about you and believed it, would that make me an idiot? I don't think so.

The people that I have a problem with are those that insist that he's a Muslim.
MR maverick
MR politics
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 07:51:15 PM »

I have a guy at work who iam cool with , but his "Obama is a muslim" thing is getting on my nerves.

Ive had to shout it out with him over this many times.. one time at a dinner where 100% of the folks there are die hard white republicans who also believe hes Muslim.

I have did too much freedom fighting for Obama this year.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 08:50:48 PM »

Condescension is just idiotic. It's better to explain to the person sincerely, than to take some imaginary high ground.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 09:17:22 PM »

I first present the fact to them with credible sources... If they fail to believe it and continue on with their idiocy, I respond by treating them like one.
perdedor

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 09:42:02 PM »

In a way, yes. To make light of one's ignorance to more effectively reflect your superior intellect is elitist. The real question to be posed here is: 'is all elitism bad?'. My answer to that question would be no.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 10:58:51 PM »

Saying "he's not a Muslim" is freedom-fighting. Undecided
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 11:25:47 PM »

Saying "he's not a Muslim" is freedom-fighting. Undecided

More like statement of fact... There's a difference.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 07:49:58 AM »

It's an information issue, isn't it. People who (for example) have access to the internet, know how to use it and use it a lot have no excuse, I think. Beyond that we start mocking people for their lack of education or for living in a remote area or whatever, and I'm not really comfortable with doing that.
MR maverick
MR politics
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 08:47:59 AM »

It's an information issue, isn't it. People who (for example) have access to the internet, know how to use it and use it a lot have no excuse, I think. Beyond that we start mocking people for their lack of education or for living in a remote area or whatever, and I'm not really comfortable with doing that.

Heres the thing, the guy that I get into it with over this actually gets the misinformation from the internet.   He's a evangelical iam guessing ( from what I can tell ) , and really believes Obama is a sleeper Muslim/ anti- Christ. 

Now, I don't think its right to be condescending to people YOU THINK may have less education.  Obama supporters seem to be the main ones with that mind set, which is why most of the time the left loses.
( see Obamas bitter comments).

Both sides are acting like they are lacking in areas.

The far right = Education on the issues - believe anything a neg ad says.

The left  = Respect for others - condescending.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 09:36:50 AM »

No.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 02:14:46 PM »

My brother lives in North Dakota, and has not gone to college (though he'll probably go to a community college next spring.) and he is aware Obama is not a Muslim.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 02:21:15 PM »

My brother lives in North Dakota, and has not gone to college (though he'll probably go to a community college next spring.) and he is aware Obama is not a Muslim.

Al was merely indicating that the probability to inaccurately believe that Obama is a muslim is higher in remote areas due to lack of access to information.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 09:17:29 PM »

Al was merely indicating that the probability to inaccurately believe that Obama is a muslim is higher in remote areas due to lack of access to information.

We live in the "Information Age". Anyone can get internet now through satellite. Even the most remote areas still have TV and newspapers, and it's not like the Podunk Appalachian County Times is running front page stories claiming Obama is a Muslim.

Does anyone today have any less access to information than your average person in 1992?

One can also use their powers of logic and deduction. The media is frequently talking about Obama as the first black President. Yet, not a mention of him as the first Muslim President. Considering how big a deal that would be if true, there must be a reason for that...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 09:54:17 PM »

You might do, I might do, everyone here might do. Doesn't mean that everyone outside does. Most people don't really follow politics, most people don't even really follow the news except in a very general sense. You can always multiply this in remote rural areas and (almost always) in working class areas.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No, but that's beside the point. Back in 1979 no newspaper here ran front page stories claiming that schools would become monolingual Welsh if people voted for an Assembly (an idea as obviously absurd as "Obama is a Muslim"). But probably a majority of the electorate believed that (which is why devolution was overwhelmingly rejected). Word-of-mouth-rumours (these can spread very quickly) and "It Stands To Reason" were all that was needed.

Oh, probably, though presumably a minority. Most people have access to more disinformation than they used to, though.

Trouble with that is that it's only any good if the base is sound.

Btw, you mentioned that your brother didn't go to uni. I'm thinking more of people who didn't even make it out of school.
MR maverick
MR politics
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2008, 10:43:59 PM »

Hey... people

The muslim rumors didn't start at some barnfire.

They started on the internet!!!

Libreals =  condescending jerks.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2008, 03:33:28 AM »

You do realize that under the parameters you're describing that many southern rural blacks would believe Obama is a Muslim?

As for people who didn't finish high school...the stigma attached to that in the Midwest is huge. Dropouts here are basically regarded as just people who'll either end up in jail or dead before 30. Basically the general consensus is only common criminals and gang members drop out.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies