Counties for Goldwater and Obama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:20:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Counties for Goldwater and Obama
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Counties for Goldwater and Obama  (Read 2333 times)
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 10, 2008, 09:54:17 PM »

Just for fun...

Washington: Whitman
California: Alpine, Mono, San Diego
Idaho: Teton
Montana: Gallatin
Wyoming: Teton
Arizona: Coconino
Iowa: Allamakee
Louisiana: Caddo, East Carroll, Madison, Tensas, East Baton Rouge, St. Helena
Wisconsin: Waupaca, Waushara
Illinois: DuPage, McHenry, Boone, Kane, DeKalb, Kendall, Bureau, Whiteside, Carroll, Warren, McDonough
Indiana: Porter
Virginia: Montgomery, Northampton, Essex, Albemarle, Henrico, Brunswick, Sussex
South Carolina: McCormick, Jasper, Hampton, Allendale, Barnwell, Charleston, Colleton, Orangeburg, Calhoun, Clarendon, Williamsburg, Lee, Sumter, Richland, Marion, Bamberg
Georgia: Burke, Richmond, Jefferson, Washington, Baldwin, Warren, Twiggs, Bibb, Peach, Chatham, Douglas, Clayton, DeKalb, Muscogee, Chattahoochee, Stewart, Quitman, Clay, Randolph, Calhoun, Baker, Dougherty, Terrell, Sumter, Dooly, Macon
Alabama: Russell, Bullock, Montgomery, Lowndes, Wilcox, Dallas, Perry, Hale, Marengo, Greene, Sumter, Jefferson
Mississippi: Kemper, Noxubee, Oktibbeha, Clay, Chickasaw, Jasper, Jefferson Davis, Pike, Wilkinson, Adams, Jefferson, Claiborne, Copiah, Hinds, Yazoo, Holmes, Issaquena, Sharkey, Humphreys, Washington, Sunflower, Leflore, Tallahatchie, Bolivar, Quitman, Coahoma, Panola, Tunica, Marshall
Tennessee: Haywood
New Hampshire: Carroll

24 of these counties are outside the old Confederacy; Kerry won only four of these (Alpine and Mono, CA; Teton, WY; and Whiteside, IL). Thoughts?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 09:55:25 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2008, 09:59:49 PM by Alcon »

Nicely done.  I was going to make that list eventually (you bastard)

What's Whiteside, IL, like?  Wikipedia says Sterling is associated with manufacturing and steel.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 10:05:34 PM »

What's Whiteside, IL, like?  Wikipedia says Sterling is associated with manufacturing and steel.

Yeah, the recession of the early 90s forced it into the Democratic column, from what I can see.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 10:06:04 PM »

Well, we can figure out what happened in the Deep South...
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 10:12:47 PM »

So, is there any county here (other than Whiteside) not explained by blacks, hispanics, or colleges?

The ones in Indiana, Iowa and Wisconsin; Carroll (I guess?) in NH; maybe some of the Virginias?
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 10:19:12 PM »

So, is there any county here (other than Whiteside) not explained by blacks, hispanics, or colleges?

The ones in Indiana, Iowa and Wisconsin; Carroll (I guess?) in NH; maybe some of the Virginias?

Chicago suburbia Smiley
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 10:22:41 PM »

Douglas, GA, and Teton, WY?
platypeanArchcow

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -7.65

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 10:24:43 PM »

Alpine, Mono, and both Tetons.  Of course, those are explained by touristiness.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 10:25:06 PM »

Teton, WY, is Jackson Hole, which is resort country.

I'm mildly stunned that Douglas, GA, voted for Obama.  I didn't know suburban Atlanta whites voted anywhere near 50/50 except in the innermost areas.  Someone needs to school me on suburban Atlanta apparently.

Edit:  Ugh, I thought I'd said resort towns.  Yea, I know Mono/Teton/Alpine/etc. well
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 10:36:43 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2008, 10:42:25 PM by Verily »

I'm mildly stunned that Douglas, GA, voted for Obama.  I didn't know suburban Atlanta whites voted anywhere near 50/50 except in the innermost areas.  Someone needs to school me on suburban Atlanta apparently.

Edit:  Ugh, I thought I'd said resort towns.  Yea, I know Mono/Teton/Alpine/etc. well

Well, Douglas was 19% black as of the 2000 Census. Maybe much of the growth there is the black population? It's not obscenely wealthy like the counties north of Atlanta, too.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 10:39:56 PM »

Well, Douglas was 19% black as of the 2000 Census. Maybe much of the growth there is the black population? It's not obscenely wealthy like the counties north of Atlanta, too.

Woah.

2000->2006, went from 12% to 34% black.

That'll do it.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 10:45:01 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2008, 10:49:58 PM by Verily »

Woah.

2000->2006, went from 12% to 34% black.

That'll do it.

18.5% in 2000, actually, but, yes. The black population was 33.7% in 2006, probably around 38% now if that trend is even close to holding. Just looked it up on FactFinder. That's a massive change.

I wonder if the same explains Rockdale, Henry and the others counties south and east of Atlanta which swung absurdly. Going to check...

Yes, it does. Rockdale County went from 18.2% black to 37.3% black 2000-2006. Henry County went from 14.7% in 2000 to 29.7% in 2006. Newton County went from 22.2% in 2000 to 33.6% in 2006. Gwinnett County from 13.3% to 20.3%. That will make redistricting... interesting... in the Atlanta area.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 01:56:47 AM »

Why are the black populations growing so heavily in those Georgia counties? Seems odd, there aren't many counties in the USA that are experiencing heavy growth in black population. Are they escaping the inner city of Atlanta?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 03:01:54 AM »

Why are the black populations growing so heavily in those Georgia counties? Seems odd, there aren't many counties in the USA that are experiencing heavy growth in black population. Are they escaping the inner city of Atlanta?

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1355/is_7_100/ai_76997698

Old article but you get the idea.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies