The White House
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:16:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The White House
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: The White House  (Read 21382 times)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 08, 2008, 02:21:33 AM »

Hello there.

I'm appointing Ebowed Game Moderator.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 02:02:19 PM »

Ah, but of course. Tongue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 07:09:04 PM »

Nice move. Ebowed isn't my favorite politician in Atlasia, though I have the utmost faith in him to serve well.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 12:42:34 AM »

Perhaps I've lost my mind, but I'm appointing Xahar AG.

*waits to be hit by rocks*
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 12:50:14 AM »

I knew this was coming, but eh. You gotta do what you gotta do.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 01:22:28 AM »

I'm eager to see the reaction of DWTL.

Good choice, President. I'm surprised of that choice, however.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 01:55:10 AM »

Perhaps I've lost my mind, but I'm appointing Xahar AG.

*waits to be hit by rocks*

Who said Jehovah?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 05:24:07 AM »

Meh. We had a perfectly good AG already. Make Xahar GM instead. Make Ebowed SoEA. While we're doing Christmas wishlists.
Smiley
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 10:26:27 AM »

I obviously will vote against it, Xahar is a criminal (in Atlas terms) and a hacker, he is THE worst choice for AG
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 10:29:34 AM »

I'm not quite sure which way I will swing on the Xahar nomination.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 12:55:53 PM »

To come to my President's defense, Xahar clearly has a lot of time on his hands to edit and clean-up the Wiki (which, despite BrandonH's very hard work, still has a long way to go).
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 03:42:22 PM »

Meh. We had a perfectly good AG already. Make Xahar GM instead. Make Ebowed SoEA. While we're doing Christmas wishlists.
Smiley

I asked Brandon and he didn't seem very interested in continuing.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 03:45:14 PM »

I obviously will vote against it, Xahar is a criminal (in Atlas terms) and a hacker, he is THE worst choice for AG

Don't worry, I can kick him out any time I want.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 04:06:56 PM »

:Shocked

An interesting selection to say the least. With Xahar now nominated for the position of Attorney-General of the Republic, why am I now expecting Xahar to be killed Trotsky style?
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 11:44:17 PM »

While Xahar wouldn't be my first choice as AG, I'm fine with this. I was never seeking the position when Moderate offered it to me. I look forward to someone else having a chance at the job and wish Xahar the best of luck.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 01:27:34 PM »

While Xahar wouldn't be my first choice as AG, I'm fine with this. I was never seeking the position when Moderate offered it to me. I look forward to someone else having a chance at the job and wish Xahar the best of luck.
Okay, that puts that out of the way.

AG (like SoFA) being a largely apolitical position, I'm a little reluctant about Presidents removing them except for inactivity. Smiley
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 03:11:46 PM »

AG (like SoFA) being a largely apolitical position, I'm a little reluctant about Presidents removing them except for inactivity. Smiley

You would be! Wink
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 03:28:54 PM »

You would be! Wink
Grin
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2008, 06:34:15 PM »

There are some things I would like to say concerning the controversy surrounding the recent election.

I think people have every right to spoil their ballot. Voters should be able to do what they want with their vote. I don't see how spoiling your ballot is "stealing" an election. I don't even see how it is immoral.

I realize that certain people may have gone beyond that and campaigned for others to spoil their ballots as well. Whether or not that is legal is something that will perhaps be decided by the courts. But what, if I were making the rules, would I prefer? I do think that tricking someone into invalidating their vote should certainly be illegal. But if a person tells another exactly what will happen by editing or deleting their vote and how it will help their preferred candidate win, well, from a strictly moral point of view, I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's part of the game and those people should be able to do what they wish with their ballots. The people who spoiled their ballots had an effective strategy. Those who are upset by the results should remember what happened here and attempt to use it on their own sometime.

There also has been some discussion about switching to secret ballots. I do not believe such a system would work in this game for a number of reasons. Where would we vote? On a separate website? By PM? The SoFA (or someone else) could easily manipulate the results. Not that I think Earl would ever do anything like that, but we don't know who may be SoFA in the future. I think the chances of election fraud would skyrocket if we used this type of system here.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2008, 07:41:42 PM »

There are some things I would like to say concerning the controversy surrounding the recent election.

I think people have every right to spoil their ballot. Voters should be able to do what they want with their vote. I don't see how spoiling your ballot is "stealing" an election. I don't even see how it is immoral.

I realize that certain people may have gone beyond that and campaigned for others to spoil their ballots as well. Whether or not that is legal is something that will perhaps be decided by the courts. But what, if I were making the rules, would I prefer? I do think that tricking someone into invalidating their vote should certainly be illegal. But if a person tells another exactly what will happen by editing or deleting their vote and how it will help their preferred candidate win, well, from a strictly moral point of view, I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's part of the game and those people should be able to do what they wish with their ballots. The people who spoiled their ballots had an effective strategy. Those who are upset by the results should remember what happened here and attempt to use it on their own sometime.

There also has been some discussion about switching to secret ballots. I do not believe such a system would work in this game for a number of reasons. Where would we vote? On a separate website? By PM? The SoFA (or someone else) could easily manipulate the results. Not that I think Earl would ever do anything like that, but we don't know who may be SoFA in the future. I think the chances of election fraud would skyrocket if we used this type of system here.

Amen.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2008, 07:42:52 PM »

*claps*

I knew there was a reason we wanted you as president
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2008, 06:29:34 AM »

Whether or not that is legal is something that will perhaps be decided by the courts.

Whether or not that is legal is something that has been decided by legislation (and it isn't legal). All ("all"... hah!) the courts can decide is whether or not certain persons are guilty.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2008, 06:33:28 AM »

Whether or not that is legal is something that will perhaps be decided by the courts.

Whether or not that is legal is something that has been decided by legislation (and it isn't legal). All ("all"... hah!) the courts can decide is whether or not certain persons are guilty.

To be more precise:

*Campaigning for* the invalidation of votes is illegal (contrary to what the President stated). *Invalidating your vote on purpose* is not, though perhaps it should be - certainly it is not morally acceptable. (At least not to me.)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2008, 03:18:32 AM »
« Edited: November 27, 2008, 03:25:57 AM by bgwah »

Executive order concerning the Campaigning for Invalidation of Votes Act

The body of "Section 1: Definition of a Crime" shall be amended to read:
   1. It shall be a crime against the Republic of Atlasia for any citizen who may be called upon to make a determination as to the validity of a ballot cast in a federal election, including but not limited to the voting booth administrator, to instruct or encourage a voter who has already cast his or her ballot to take an action that would have the effect of invalidating the ballot if the voter in question does not realize they would be invalidating their vote and the possible affect it may have on the concurrent election.
   2. For the purposes of this statute, federal election shall extend to (but is not limited to) any election for President, Vice-President or Senator, any federal impeachment vote, and any public vote sanctioned by Law which requires that an officer of the federal government administer it.

X Pres Bgwah
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2008, 11:38:52 AM »

The President does not have the power to amend legislation.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies