2009 New Jersey Governor's Race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 08:07:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2009 New Jersey Governor's Race
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 79
Author Topic: 2009 New Jersey Governor's Race  (Read 320523 times)
ajc0918
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1450 on: October 27, 2009, 10:50:29 PM »

Yeah I'm thinkinghoping Christie is going to win this one.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1451 on: October 28, 2009, 12:17:00 AM »

Democrats can thank Obama for this. 
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1452 on: October 28, 2009, 12:59:39 AM »

OK, stop.  You might...repeat, might...have an argument about Virginia.  But this one...Corzine has brought this on himself, and was horridly unpopular during the Bush Administration as well.  The only hope he has of winning is that the public sees his opponent as more extremely flawed than he is.  Obama is definitely not responsible for Corzine's decline, Corzine is.
East Coast Republican

« Reply #1453 on: October 28, 2009, 02:27:26 AM »

Let's see what you guys think now.

Quinnipiac says Corzine is leading Christie by 5%

43-38-13.  Christie leads independents by 15%. 

Why are all the polls all over the place?Huh?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1454 on: October 28, 2009, 06:12:04 AM »

Wow. I gotta say, this race is really exciting. The Q poll is a shocker. I thought Christie would have been up a few points for sure.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1455 on: October 28, 2009, 06:14:05 AM »

Here is the poll by the way: http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x1284.xml?ReleaseID=1389&What=&strArea=;&strTime=0
East Coast Republican

« Reply #1456 on: October 28, 2009, 08:14:25 AM »

This is going to seem REALLY partisan of me but do the crosstabs of this poll look a little messed up to you guys?  Christie increases from 9 to 15 on Indie vote, loses 3 on R I think Corzine gained on D but still...why such a wild swing if Christie went up on the indie vote?  Similar crosstabs to these gave Christie a 1% lead last week.

If someone has good theories Im open to listening to them.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1457 on: October 28, 2009, 08:53:52 AM »

This is going to seem REALLY partisan of me but do the crosstabs of this poll look a little messed up to you guys?  Christie increases from 9 to 15 on Indie vote, loses 3 on R I think Corzine gained on D but still...why such a wild swing if Christie went up on the indie vote?  Similar crosstabs to these gave Christie a 1% lead last week.

If someone has good theories Im open to listening to them.

Not sure. Tough to tell without the crosstabs including the raw numbers. From the "Trustworthy and honest" scores being Corzine's highest and Christie's lowest thus far (and the first time all year their numbers have been positive and negative, respectively), it could just be Corzine--like the seasoned pol he is--is simply peaking at just the right time. Though one can't rule out MoE or sampling error here either.

One side note on the subject of the effectiveness of campaign ads. The percentage of voters who found each candidate's ads to be more informative than annoying is just over double the percentage who said the ads made them more likely to vote for that candidate. While a few of those folks may've meant the ads were "informative" in that they revealed the candidate running them to be an untrustworthy SOB, and others may've been partisans who were already strongly backing a candidate but liked their guy's ad anywat, it appears more likely the ads may've had a subtle effect on a substantial number of voters who claimed the ads made no difference.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1458 on: October 28, 2009, 08:59:52 AM »

OK, stop.  You might...repeat, might...have an argument about Virginia.  But this one...Corzine has brought this on himself, and was horridly unpopular during the Bush Administration as well.  The only hope he has of winning is that the public sees his opponent as more extremely flawed than he is.  Obama is definitely not responsible for Corzine's decline, Corzine is.

Dude, I don't think he's arguing that Obama is responsible of Corzine's decline, I think he's arguing that Obama is responsible for taking Corzine from a no chance in hell candidate to a might possibly win this candidate. If he's arguing that, then I agree.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1459 on: October 28, 2009, 09:01:56 AM »

The poll variations are due to the voter screens.  PPP thinks Democratic turnout will be miserable.  Quinnipiac now thinks that Democrats are going to show.  And Daggett at 13% matters here: He's much lower the Rasmussen and PPP polls.  Why does this matter?  Because Christie is the heavy second favorite of Daggett voters in the Q-poll, unlike Ras and PPP.

It's no secret: The more people who show up to vote, the better Corzine will do.  Quinnipiac is a terrific pollster, though, so I'm a bit worried.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1460 on: October 28, 2009, 09:30:54 AM »

Ah, confusion reigns!

The poll variations are due to the voter screens.  PPP thinks Democratic turnout will be miserable.  Quinnipiac now thinks that Democrats are going to show.  And Daggett at 13% matters here: He's much lower the Rasmussen and PPP polls.  Why does this matter?  Because Christie is the heavy second favorite of Daggett voters in the Q-poll, unlike Ras and PPP.

It's no secret: The more people who show up to vote, the better Corzine will do.  Quinnipiac is a terrific pollster, though, so I'm a bit worried.

I would not call Quinnipiac a "terrific" pollster - best of the uni pollsters is a more appropriate title, fwiw.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1461 on: October 28, 2009, 10:49:02 AM »

Ah, confusion reigns!

I would not call Quinnipiac a "terrific" pollster - best of the uni pollsters is a more appropriate title, fwiw.

So far as New Jersey goes, I trust Quinnipiac.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #1462 on: October 28, 2009, 11:04:59 AM »

I don't think it has anything to do with likely voter screens. Quinnipiac is the only one that doesn't show Corzine struggling with the base. The PPP poll has Corzine at only 67% among Democrats. Rasmussen had him at 70% before leaners.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1463 on: October 28, 2009, 11:08:31 AM »

[See UPDATE: Now Quinnipiac says the sample splits 40 percent Democratic, 25 percent Republican, 29 percent Independent]

http://campaignspot.nationalreview.com/post/?q=NzNlNjU4NmY1MjU4Y2Q5ZTdjOWFjY2UxMzVhYTFhZWY=

fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1464 on: October 28, 2009, 11:24:28 AM »

Judging based on the support each candidate is getting from each party, I'm inclined to think this is going to incredibly close.  Christie's locked up Republican support obviously, but Corzine's support with Democrats and Christie's with Independents make for some conflicting expectations.  What I mean is that if Christie has strong support from Independents, I'm inclined to believe he'll be able to win off their support judging by their past late support of the Democrats.  On the other hand there's a huge gap in the usually fiercely partisan Democratic Party, which makes me believe they'll begrudgingly come home to Corzine on election day, giving him a surge.  If Christie takes the Independents by the amount he's been leading he should win, but if the Democrats show up for Corzine, he should win.  That confuses me.  Does it make sense to you guys?
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1465 on: October 28, 2009, 01:21:05 PM »

PPP:

"In the time we've been polling nationally I've never seen a race where the IVR and live interviewer polls told two stories as different as the New Jersey Governor's race.

All 9 IVR polls this month have shown Chris Christie in the lead. 6 out of the 9 live interviewer polls have shown Corzine in the lead."

http://publicpolicypolling.blogspot.com/2009/10/new-jersey-polls.html
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1466 on: October 28, 2009, 01:37:02 PM »

Ah, confusion reigns!

So far as New Jersey goes, I trust Quinnipiac.

Do you trust Q above all other NJ pollsters?  I certainly wouldn't.  But are they the best of the uni pollsters that populate NJ?  Yes.  Which does say something.

The funny thing is that historically their polls have had a Republican lean, usually by about 3-5 points.  Their final 2000 poll was a particular blow-up in the Republican direction.  However, in 2008, their final poll blew up in the Democratic direction.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #1467 on: October 28, 2009, 03:51:37 PM »

PPP:

"In the time we've been polling nationally I've never seen a race where the IVR and live interviewer polls told two stories as different as the New Jersey Governor's race.

All 9 IVR polls this month have shown Chris Christie in the lead. 6 out of the 9 live interviewer polls have shown Corzine in the lead."

Isn't this true for everything? Live interviewer polls and automated polls are always giving opposite results.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1468 on: October 28, 2009, 10:58:28 PM »

PPP:

Isn't this true for everything? Live interviewer polls and automated polls are always giving opposite results.

I don't think one can make any type of correlation based on present evidence.

However, some of the trends I've been watching hint that at least "something" may be occurring there on its face.

Someone (or me) should PM The Vorlon and see what he says.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1469 on: October 29, 2009, 12:18:16 AM »

SUSA probably out with a new poll today, R2000 in the coming days.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1470 on: October 29, 2009, 10:23:35 AM »

PPP:

However, some of the trends I've been watching hint that at least "something" may be occurring there on its face.

Oh c'mon Sam. I know inscrutable teasing hints are your thing and all, but don't leave us hanging like that. :-( 

Go on Mr. Spade and share your thoughts with the class.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1471 on: October 29, 2009, 12:16:41 PM »

PPP:

Oh c'mon Sam. I know inscrutable teasing hints are your thing and all, but don't leave us hanging like that. :-( 

No need to be sarcastic - if I really knew anything for sure, I'd say it.  Smiley  Besides, teasing is one of the lost arts and a favored pastime.

The most obvious example I can point to is the distinction between IVR and live interviewer in polling of Obama for the first 6 months of the year at minimum.  The difference has narrowed quite a bit - though SurveyUSA still shows (and has shown) Obama underpolling as compared to other Adult polls.  This could be for any number of reasons.

What is important to use NJ as a test for, so long as SUSA shows similar results to PPP and Rasmussen, is to see which is more accurate vis-a-vis the actual ballot box.  Of course, the fact that nearly all NJ live interviewer polls are uni polls makes that test a tad less accurate, given the general rule on uni polls.

Which is why I'm waiting for SUSA's take.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1472 on: October 29, 2009, 01:25:24 PM »

PPP:

No need to be sarcastic - if I really knew anything for sure, I'd say it.  Smiley  Besides, teasing is one of the lost arts and a favored pastime.

The most obvious example I can point to is the distinction between IVR and live interviewer in polling of Obama for the first 6 months of the year at minimum.  The difference has narrowed quite a bit - though SurveyUSA still shows (and has shown) Obama underpolling as compared to other Adult polls.  This could be for any number of reasons.

What is important to use NJ as a test for, so long as SUSA shows similar results to PPP and Rasmussen, is to see which is more accurate vis-a-vis the actual ballot box.  Of course, the fact that nearly all NJ live interviewer polls are uni polls makes that test a tad less accurate, given the general rule on uni polls.

Which is why I'm waiting for SUSA's take.

Thanks Sam, and FWIW I wasn't being sarcastic. Snarky maybe, but certainly not sarcastic. ;-)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1473 on: October 29, 2009, 02:11:46 PM »

Democracy Corps out with a new poll:

Corzine: 43%
Christie: 38%
Daggett: 12%

When Daggett voters are pushed to choose one of the two major party candidates, Corzine’s lead holds steady at 5 points, 47 to 42 percent.

These results are based on a Democracy Corps survey conducted by Greenberg Quinlan Rosner from October 27-28, 2009 among 604 likely voters in New Jersey. The margin of error is +/- 4.0 percent.

http://www.democracycorps.com/strategy/2009/10/corzine-leads-christie-by-five-points-in-new-jersey/
East Coast Republican

« Reply #1474 on: October 29, 2009, 02:15:29 PM »

More trash from Democracy Corps
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies