2009 New Jersey Governor's Race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 02:51:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2009 New Jersey Governor's Race
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 79
Author Topic: 2009 New Jersey Governor's Race  (Read 321631 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1325 on: October 20, 2009, 10:03:48 PM »

Corzine is slime, dude.  I'm having as much fun with this race as you are, but let's not make Jon Corzine into anything positive as a result of that.

As I said, I don't care much for the guy but he is somewhat preferable to the likes of right-wingers such as Brad Henry.

what makes Henry more 'right-wing' than Corzine?  he says mean things about homos or something?  only one of the two have ever been CEO of Goldman Sachs.

I'm sure I don't need to go through this with you point by point. You're a smart guy. You can maintain your "everybody sucks/they're all exactly the same" attitude if you want to. I know it really is teh coolest one to have.

how on Earth is that what I said?  I was drawing a strong distinction between Corzine and Henry, in that Corzine was the CEO of a massive corporation that is, effectively, part of the state.  if you're looking for progressivism or anything resembling left-wing politics, Corzine is the enemy, pure and simple.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1326 on: October 20, 2009, 10:19:34 PM »

Corzine is slime, dude.  I'm having as much fun with this race as you are, but let's not make Jon Corzine into anything positive as a result of that.

As I said, I don't care much for the guy but he is somewhat preferable to the likes of right-wingers such as Brad Henry.

what makes Henry more 'right-wing' than Corzine?  he says mean things about homos or something?  only one of the two have ever been CEO of Goldman Sachs.

I'm sure I don't need to go through this with you point by point. You're a smart guy. You can maintain your "everybody sucks/they're all exactly the same" attitude if you want to. I know it really is teh coolest one to have.

how on Earth is that what I said?  I was drawing a strong distinction between Corzine and Henry, in that Corzine was the CEO of a massive corporation that is, effectively, part of the state.  if you're looking for progressivism or anything resembling left-wing politics, Corzine is the enemy, pure and simple.

No, Christie is the enemy. The Republicans are the enemy. I can see clearly the lesser of two evils. If you can explain to me how Christie beating Corzine will help the cause of progressivism, feel free.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1327 on: October 20, 2009, 10:46:01 PM »

burden of proof appears to be on you, especially considering you are asking me to defend an assertion that I did not make.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1328 on: October 20, 2009, 10:59:04 PM »

burden of proof appears to be on you, especially considering you are asking me to defend an assertion that I did not make.

Proof of what?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1329 on: October 20, 2009, 11:05:28 PM »

I am a pollster.  I've polled for both Democrats and Republicans.  I think these polls are skewed a few points toward Corzine.  My method:  I look at the cross tabs in the polls and re adjust them according to NJ's actual voter registration numbers. (33% DEM, 20% REP, 47% IND)  Just to see if this is accurate, I went back to the Realclearpolitics page on the 2005 Governor's race.  I could still see the cross tabs in the final Rasmussen poll.  The poll had Corzine up 5 over Forrester.  I applied the cross tabs to the voter registration numbers.  Guess what I came up with?  Corzine by 10.  That's exactly what he won by.  I did the same thing with the Rasmussen poll that just came out today.  Using my method, I have Christie up 3 among likely voters and up 5 points with leaners included.  I did the same with the Monmouth poll from last night.  Christie is up by 4.  I did the same with the Survey USA Poll. Christie by 4.  I did that for the last FDU poll also, which had Corzine up by 1.  Christie by 4.  I think the polls are shorting Christie.  Let's see if I'm right.

I'd argue that the dynamics of this race with a very unpopular incumbent and an increasingly unpopular Republican challenger, a surge of Democratic attacks, and a third-party centrist-ish candidate all could upset that rather simple prism for results.  And especially a filter that proves to work with one poll [Rasmussen] may not work with another.  
East Coast Republican

« Reply #1330 on: October 20, 2009, 11:06:59 PM »

Yeah ok ERASHERHEAD

Why don't you keep your dailykos bluejersey crap to yourself.  Talk about tearing a page out of the far left playbook.  'Rethuglicrats are the enemy.  Progressivism rocks.  Blah blah blah.'

Sometimes you gotta ditch the ideology and think with your brain.  Corzine sucks.  He's a bad Governor and lied to the people of NJ.  Taxes UP.  Tolls UP.  Affair with Katz head of CWU.  Upper Middle Class is fleeing the state (hmm that's basically everyone in NJ).  Job creation lags behing job loss even with his touted new businesses in Hudson.  He's now using his millions to destroy Christie and what's worse he's degrading towards African Americans and Homosexuals.   Feed me the dailykos garbage about how much he's done for Jersey for my entertainment.

This guy is the political equivalent of the devil.  If he wins, it's because of the fatal split caused by Daggett.  An incumbent winning with 8-10% less of the vote he received the first time around doesn't mean he rocks especially if the new percentage is in the low 40s.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1331 on: October 20, 2009, 11:10:27 PM »

Who's Erasherhead? Anyway, go to hell. kthanxbye.
East Coast Republican

« Reply #1332 on: October 20, 2009, 11:38:25 PM »

You're vicious Erashersucker.

I'll go to hell when you admit that you're a partisan jackass who isn't a progressive at all.  KTHANKSBYE!  TTYL!  TA TA!  BBF 4 LIFE!  LOLZZ LOVE YA.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1333 on: October 21, 2009, 12:21:07 AM »

Yeah ok ERASHERHEAD

Why don't you keep your dailykos bluejersey crap to yourself.  Talk about tearing a page out of the far left playbook.  'Rethuglicrats are the enemy.  Progressivism rocks.  Blah blah blah.'

Sometimes you gotta ditch the ideology and think with your brain.  Corzine sucks.  He's a bad Governor and lied to the people of NJ.  Taxes UP.  Tolls UP.  Affair with Katz head of CWU.  Upper Middle Class is fleeing the state (hmm that's basically everyone in NJ).  Job creation lags behing job loss even with his touted new businesses in Hudson.  He's now using his millions to destroy Christie and what's worse he's degrading towards African Americans and Homosexuals.   Feed me the dailykos garbage about how much he's done for Jersey for my entertainment.

This guy is the political equivalent of the devil.  If he wins, it's because of the fatal split caused by Daggett.  An incumbent winning with 8-10% less of the vote he received the first time around doesn't mean he rocks especially if the new percentage is in the low 40s.

Interesting coming from someone who is in a state where the economy is a bit worse than Jersey.....
East Coast Republican

« Reply #1334 on: October 21, 2009, 12:49:35 AM »
« Edited: October 21, 2009, 12:51:08 AM by East Coast Republican »

I'm sorry.  Let me make myself more clear.

Corzine continues to lie through his fake smiles that he's creating more jobs than Jersey is losing...or at the very least covering up what is actually happening.  It's just another lie in a long series of lies.  I like how you use the typical debate diversion tactic of shifting to something that has no relation to what is being argued.

Charlie Crist, unlike Jon Corzine, is not a chronic liar about raising taxes, union negotiations and job creation.  Note his broad bipartisan appeal.  

So yes, you're right.  It is interesting that in a state where the unemployment is worse than NJ, the governor is actually being more honest than Jon Corzine.  In a state with worse unemployment, Crist has a higher approval rating and broad bipartisan support.  

Yup that's certainly interesting and you're still a partisan for the far left.  Oh and you failed to tell me any good things Corzine has done for NJ.  You just attacked.  High times for negative attacks.  It's the only thing that's going to save Corzine, not his record.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1335 on: October 21, 2009, 01:46:08 AM »

You're vicious Erashersucker.

I'll go to hell when you admit that you're a partisan jackass who isn't a progressive at all.  KTHANKSBYE!  TTYL!  TA TA!  BBF 4 LIFE!  LOLZZ LOVE YA.

Who are you actually?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1336 on: October 21, 2009, 07:42:22 AM »

Proof of what?

why would a Corzine victory be decidedly preferable?  what, exactly, would be made better?
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1337 on: October 21, 2009, 11:21:40 AM »

Proof of what?
why would a Corzine victory be decidedly preferable?  what, exactly, would be made better?

All it boils down to is that they like the letter D better than the letter R.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #1338 on: October 21, 2009, 11:27:12 AM »

All the polls are saying the same thing:
Statistical tie + Undecideds favoring Christie + shaky Daggett supporters favoring Christie

This all equals about I'm thinking now a 5 point Christie victory
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1339 on: October 21, 2009, 01:13:15 PM »
« Edited: October 21, 2009, 01:22:01 PM by Eraserhead »

Proof of what?

why would a Corzine victory be decidedly preferable?  what, exactly, would be made better?

Better? It's really more about stopping things from becoming worse.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1340 on: October 21, 2009, 01:18:33 PM »

Proof of what?

All it boils down to is that they like the letter D better than the letter R.

No, I'm fine with the letter "R". In fact, it's the first letter of my own name. Tongue
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #1341 on: October 21, 2009, 01:19:30 PM »

Proof of what?

why would a Corzine victory be decidedly preferable?  what, exactly, would be made better?

Better? It's really more of about stopping things from becoming worse.

I'm not sure how things would be "worse" under Christie. Enlighten me.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1342 on: October 21, 2009, 01:24:17 PM »

Proof of what?

I'm not sure how things would be "worse" under Christie. Enlighten me.

Your PM score alone makes this impossible, Rowan.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1343 on: October 21, 2009, 01:26:30 PM »

I don't care for Corzine much, and honestly, I'm probably more partisan when it comes to this race than the typical out-of-stater,

but I think tales of Corzine's awfulness have been a bit exaggerated.  He's a mediocre governor, sure, but he's not the worst Jersey has had—or will have in the next couple decades.

He's made some unpopular decisions, but I still give him a hat tip for fighting a worried legislature to force a needed sales tax increase.  And while he's been pretty bad at standing up to the worst in his party, for every Democratic politician in NJ better than Corzine in that regard there are probably five who are worse.

After all, by 2020, I expect New Jersey will be fully run and owned by the Board of Directors of Commerce Bank.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #1344 on: October 21, 2009, 01:31:24 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZGl9LRtVmg

DWTL, please make a reaction video of yourself watching this video.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1345 on: October 21, 2009, 01:36:19 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZGl9LRtVmg

DWTL, please make a reaction video of yourself watching this video.

haha. Well, it's not the worst idea as long as it reaches more of the people that they want it to reach than the people they don't.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #1346 on: October 21, 2009, 03:30:18 PM »

Interesting article about Daggett:

http://www.politickernj.com/max/34348/daggett-factor-dominates-operatives-attention
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1347 on: October 21, 2009, 03:30:34 PM »

Proof of what?

this does not constitute an argument
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1348 on: October 21, 2009, 03:56:30 PM »

Proof of what?

this does not constitute an argument

k
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1349 on: October 21, 2009, 05:28:20 PM »

Proof of what?

the result won't have any long-term tangible effect on our lives, but most of us would derive some ephemeral utility from seeing the NJ GOP blow this.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies