2009 New Jersey Governor's Race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 09:05:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2009 New Jersey Governor's Race
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 79
Author Topic: 2009 New Jersey Governor's Race  (Read 320529 times)
ajc0918
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1150 on: October 11, 2009, 10:14:28 AM »

Corzine (D): 44% (+3)
Christie (R): 40% (-2)
Daggett (I): 12% (+1)

From October 5 - 10, Quinnipiac University surveyed 1,188 New Jersey likely voters, with a margin of error of +/- 2.8 percentage points.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x1299.xml?ReleaseID=1377

Where in the article did you get these numbers?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1151 on: October 11, 2009, 10:19:39 AM »

Corzine (D): 44% (+3)
Christie (R): 40% (-2)
Daggett (I): 12% (+1)

From October 5 - 10, Quinnipiac University surveyed 1,188 New Jersey likely voters, with a margin of error of +/- 2.8 percentage points.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x1299.xml?ReleaseID=1377

Where in the article did you get these numbers?

Grin

(it's fake)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1152 on: October 11, 2009, 03:06:59 PM »

Star Ledger just made a major boo boo. As a sponsor of next week's guv debate, they are forbidden from making an endorsement until afterward. It's a big deal because this debate is required by state campaign finance law.

Good job, Ledger.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1153 on: October 11, 2009, 05:02:17 PM »

Star Ledger just made a major boo boo. As a sponsor of next week's guv debate, they are forbidden from making an endorsement until afterward. It's a big deal because this debate is required by state campaign finance law.

Good job, Ledger.

Wow, nobody over there considered that beforehand? Amazing.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1154 on: October 11, 2009, 06:15:02 PM »

Good job, Ledger.

Strangely enough, they promised in their application to sponsor the debate that they wouldn't.  It really makes no sense.

(In case anyone's wondering, the Ledger usually endorses Democrats but endorsed Forrester in 2005.)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1155 on: October 11, 2009, 06:25:11 PM »

Good job, Ledger.

Strangely enough, they promised in their application to sponsor the debate that they wouldn't.  It really makes no sense.

(In case anyone's wondering, the Ledger usually endorses Democrats but endorsed Forrester in 2005.)

lol - though that's kind of expected for Newark.

What happens now?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #1156 on: October 12, 2009, 12:11:33 AM »

Good job, Ledger.

Actually, it makes quite a lot of sense, if they really want Corzine reelected.

Corzine is basically topping out with about 43% of the vote, with the rest of the electorate very unhappy with him.

So, if you split up the 57% of the anti-Corzine vote with enough going to Daggett, then Corzine gets reelected with 43%.

Christie is a pretty pathetic candidate who had to have the local Republican bosses carry him through the primary (he won it with a margin of about two votes per precinct statewide).

I believe that in a couple of weeks enough of the voters who are presently favoring Daggett will hold their noses and reluctantly vote for Christie to get rid of Corzine
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1157 on: October 12, 2009, 01:58:20 AM »

I believe that in a couple of weeks enough of the voters who are presently favoring Daggett will hold their noses and reluctantly vote for Christie to get rid of Corzine

Do you really have that much faith in New Jersey voters?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1158 on: October 12, 2009, 02:20:18 AM »

Good job, Ledger.

Actually, it makes quite a lot of sense, if they really want Corzine reelected.

Corzine is basically topping out with about 43% of the vote, with the rest of the electorate very unhappy with him.

So, if you split up the 57% of the anti-Corzine vote with enough going to Daggett, then Corzine gets reelected with 43%.

Christie is a pretty pathetic candidate who had to have the local Republican bosses carry him through the primary (he won it with a margin of about two votes per precinct statewide).

And Lonegan would have trounced Corzine, obviously.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1159 on: October 12, 2009, 06:25:40 AM »

Read what Mark Blumenthal at Pollster has to say:

http://www.pollster.com/blogs/nj_daggett_the_key_wild_card.php
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1160 on: October 12, 2009, 06:43:49 AM »

Do you really have that much faith in New Jersey voters?

Actually, its a pretty low standard, but hey, we're talking about New Jersey voters!

I believe that enough of them will come to realize the Daggett isn't going to be elected, and the thought of having to endure four more years of Corzine will reluctantly lead them to vote for Christie.

Do not believe that Chrisie will get a majority, but rather will get enough votes to beat Corzine.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1161 on: October 12, 2009, 12:50:53 PM »

What happens now?

Presumably, the only real consequences is that the Star Ledger probably has to pull (with embarassment) their sponsorship of the debate, and that they'll have trouble getting ELEC approval to sponsor future debates.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #1162 on: October 12, 2009, 01:16:57 PM »

What happens now?

Presumably, the only real consequences is that the Star Ledger probably has to pull (with embarassment) their sponsorship of the debate, and that they'll have trouble getting ELEC approval to sponsor future debates.

That they did:

http://www.politickernj.com/wallye/33970/star-ledger-out-gubernatorial-debate-after-endorsing-daggett
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1163 on: October 12, 2009, 02:06:50 PM »

PPP reports that the race is a tie in their poll that is released tomorrow. Corzine had a good night on Friday, but Christie had a good weekend.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1164 on: October 12, 2009, 03:38:34 PM »

Press of Atlantic City:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1165 on: October 12, 2009, 03:41:23 PM »

Press of Atlantic City:

That's downright cruel. It would be like Obama making fun of McCain for not being able to raise his arms above his head, Biden making fun of Palin for looking like a flight attendent, McCain making funs of Obama for having large ears, or Palin making fun of Biden's hairplugs. It's just annoying and low.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1166 on: October 12, 2009, 06:14:13 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2009, 06:16:19 PM by Verily »

Press of Atlantic City:

That's downright cruel. It would be like Obama making fun of McCain for not being able to raise his arms above his head, Biden making fun of Palin for looking like a flight attendent, McCain making funs of Obama for having large ears, or Palin making fun of Biden's hairplugs. It's just annoying and low.

Well, in this case it was the press who asked the question. I actually thought Corzine's response was clever and even somewhat genial. "Yes, he's fat, it's really obvious, and I won't deny it just because you want me to, but hey, I'm bald, and people sometimes don't like that, too, maybe a lot of us have flaws."

I mean, really? Was Corzine supposed to say that someone who is morbidly obese isn't fat just to be nice? Right, because shifting standards don't have anything to do with the obesity epidemic...
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #1167 on: October 12, 2009, 07:19:11 PM »

Press of Atlantic City:

That's downright cruel.

No, not really.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1168 on: October 12, 2009, 08:10:46 PM »

Press of Atlantic City:

This response actually improves my opinion of Corzine a little.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1169 on: October 12, 2009, 08:38:45 PM »

PPP reports that the race is a tie in their poll that is released tomorrow. Corzine had a good night on Friday, but Christie had a good weekend.

They didn't say tie, they said tossup. They probably have Christie up by 2 or something.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1170 on: October 12, 2009, 08:56:00 PM »

I do have to give the Corzine campaign credit for making Christie's weight a legitimate issue in the campaign and not just something everyone recognizes but doesn't talk about.

I should note my praise is from a purely practical standpoint and has no relation to my moral standards whatsoever.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1171 on: October 13, 2009, 12:59:30 AM »
« Edited: October 13, 2009, 01:01:16 AM by Verily »

I do have to give the Corzine campaign credit for making Christie's weight a legitimate issue in the campaign and not just something everyone recognizes but doesn't talk about.

I should note my praise is from a purely practical standpoint and has no relation to my moral standards whatsoever.

Well, yeah, other things about it have been less savory. The idea that this particular quotation was objectionable is what bothered me, not the whole strategy.

Although completely ignoring it might have been PC, it's also quite stupid, on the level of the individual voter rather than the campaign. Unless someone has a diagnosed disorder (thyroid, etc.), anyone and everyone can control their weight, and being obese reflects very poorly on your judgment, much in the same way smoking does (and if Obama hadn't been making a serious offer to stop smoking, it would have really bothered me).
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1172 on: October 13, 2009, 07:43:39 AM »
« Edited: October 13, 2009, 07:46:32 AM by Mr. Moderate »

Well, yeah, other things about it have been less savory. The idea that this particular quotation was objectionable is what bothered me, not the whole strategy.

Although completely ignoring it might have been PC, it's also quite stupid, on the level of the individual voter rather than the campaign. Unless someone has a diagnosed disorder (thyroid, etc.), anyone and everyone can control their weight, and being obese reflects very poorly on your judgment, much in the same way smoking does (and if Obama hadn't been making a serious offer to stop smoking, it would have really bothered me).

As someone who used to be severely overweight, I highly dislike the constant fat-mocking undertone that the Democratic Party in general has taken this campaign.  Some people have a much harder time dealing with their metabolism than others to an intense degree, and frankly, all this talk about judging Christie based on a "health issue" smacks of justification of the kind of torturous garbage I had to put up with every goddamn day in High School.

Christie's being fat is about as relevant as Corzine's being bald. The only difference is that the Christie camp doesn't make mean-spirited references to Corzine's head.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1173 on: October 13, 2009, 10:01:35 AM »

Christie 40%
Corzine 39%
Daggett 13%

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_NJ_1013930.pdf
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1174 on: October 13, 2009, 10:34:12 AM »
« Edited: October 13, 2009, 10:40:52 AM by Mr. Moderate »

Good news for Corzine, I guess, but things are worsening for Dems on the general Assembly ballot.  The GOP has expanded to a six point lead there.  We may be heading into a 1993-like scenario where people vote Republican for Assembly as a hedge against a Corzine re-election.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies