2009 New Jersey Governor's Race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 07:59:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2009 New Jersey Governor's Race
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 79
Author Topic: 2009 New Jersey Governor's Race  (Read 321004 times)
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #950 on: September 23, 2009, 02:28:25 PM »

Hahaha, Corzine is attacking Christie's driving record?!  He really has no sense of self awareness does he?
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #951 on: September 23, 2009, 02:33:20 PM »

Strategic Vision has Christie up 46/38, with Daggett at 8%.

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2009/09/23/christie_leads_corzine_by_eight_points.html
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #952 on: September 23, 2009, 03:54:07 PM »

Corzine released a new ad hammering Christie's driving record, saying he got preferential treatment by doing the "do you know who I am" thing at a traffic stop.

throwing his weight around, lmao. New Jersey is awesome
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #953 on: September 23, 2009, 04:23:20 PM »

Corzine released a new ad hammering Christie's driving record, saying he got preferential treatment by doing the "do you know who I am" thing at a traffic stop.

throwing his weight around, lmao. New Jersey is awesome

^^^

Pure genius.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #954 on: September 23, 2009, 11:55:26 PM »

GOP candidate Chris Christie held stock in travel company while investigating group as U.S. Attorney

By Josh Margolin

September 23, 2009, 8:44PM

TRENTON -- Republican gubernatorial candidate Chris Christie acknowledged today he bought and sold stock in a travel and real estate company while it was under investigation by the U.S. Attorney’s Office he led at the time.

Christie purchased shares of Cendant Corp. in 2004 and sold them in 2005, according to financial disclosure reports he filed with the Justice Department. In 2002, his office had renewed an investigation into Cendant, leading to fraud convictions of two of its former top executives in 2005 and 2007.

Asked about the investment during a news conference today, Christie acknowledged seeing it on his disclosure reports but said his financial adviser bought and sold the stocks without his knowledge. He said he did not recall the precise value of the stock, which the forms show in the $1,000 to $15,000 range at both the time of purchase and sale. The discloure forms don’t require exact figures, just ranges.

"The way my investments work, I had no authority to order either the buying or the selling of any particular stock," Christie said. "I was not making the decision to buy or the decision to sell."

Democrats -- who had spent days defending a hedge fund investment by Gov. Jon Corzine -- were quick to accuse Christie of a double standard on financial entanglements.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/09/gop_candidate_chris_christie_h.html
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #955 on: September 24, 2009, 09:18:22 AM »

Asked about the investment during a news conference today, Christie acknowledged seeing it on his disclosure reports but said his financial adviser bought and sold the stocks without his knowledge. He said he did not recall the precise value of the stock, which the forms show in the $1,000 to $15,000 range at both the time of purchase and sale. The discloure forms don’t require exact figures, just ranges.

LOL, of course.  The difference between the two, of course, is that Christie recused himself of investment decisions in a situation involving $1-15K invested in a company who used to employ people being prosecuted in a case he inherited. Corzine is directly managing his portfolio, with as much as $90,000,000 invested in a hedge fund that deals with state-regulated utilites.

It does fit the Corzine mold of "ZOMG HE DOES IT TOO!!!1" that has been the hallmark of the last few months.

Bad driving record?  Loans to female associates?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Whatever gets you to sleep at night, Darcy.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #956 on: September 24, 2009, 09:40:31 AM »

LOL, of course.  The difference between the two, of course, is that Christie recused himself of investment decisions in a situation involving $1-15K invested in a company who used to employ people being prosecuted in a case he inherited. Corzine is directly managing his portfolio, with as much as $90,000,000 invested in a hedge fund that deals with state-regulated utilites.

It does fit the Corzine mold of "ZOMG HE DOES IT TOO!!!1" that has been the hallmark of the last few months.

Bad driving record?  Loans to female associates?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Whatever gets you to sleep at night, Darcy.
While there certainly appear to be considerable differences in the scope of conflict as you noted, will many swing voters truly discern the difference?

That's the problem with running as the "honest anti-corruption" candidate; it takes very little sullying in the press to take a candidate down in the voters eyes from squeaky-clean to "just another politician".
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #957 on: September 24, 2009, 09:57:23 AM »

While there certainly appear to be considerable differences in the scope of conflict as you noted, will many swing voters truly discern the difference?

That's the problem with running as the "honest anti-corruption" candidate; it takes very little sullying in the press to take a candidate down in the voters eyes from squeaky-clean to "just another politician".

At this point, it doesn't matter much what the swing voters do, because there really aren't enough of them out there for Corzine to win—Christie's lead is big enough that he'll still win if 100% of undecideds go to the incumbent.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Corzine's path to victory is not in making Christie an unacceptable alternative.  He just doesn't have the credibility to make it work, because no matter how bad Christie's negatives are (he's still net positive, natch), Corzine's will always be worse.

Corzine needs to move voters from the Christie column over to his, and his current media strategy—largely unchanged since the spring—will not accomplish this.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #958 on: September 24, 2009, 10:56:56 AM »

Woo-hoo got invited to the official Christie victory party!
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #959 on: September 24, 2009, 11:52:07 AM »

At this point, it doesn't matter much what the swing voters do, because there really aren't enough of them out there for Corzine to win—Christie's lead is big enough that he'll still win if 100% of undecideds go to the incumbent.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Corzine's path to victory is not in making Christie an unacceptable alternative.  He just doesn't have the credibility to make it work, because no matter how bad Christie's negatives are (he's still net positive, natch), Corzine's will always be worse.

Corzine needs to move voters from the Christie column over to his, and his current media strategy—largely unchanged since the spring—will not accomplish this.

Generally agree with your analysis.

Christie is an empty suit, but the voters REALLY, REALLY. REALLY hate Corzine.

An interesing strategy for Corzine would be to pump money (covertly) into the indendepdent candidate (Daggetts') campaign in the hope that he will siphon enough anti-Corzine votes away from Christie.

As the Democrat party nominee, Corzine should get at least forty percent of the vote.

So, there's somewhere between fifty to sixy per cent of the vote to be divided between Christie and Daggett. 

Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #960 on: September 24, 2009, 11:57:47 AM »

An interesing strategy for Corzine would be to pump money (covertly) into the indendepdent candidate (Daggetts') campaign in the hope that he will siphon enough anti-Corzine votes away from Christie.

The problem is that Daggett's appeal is mainly to those who would otherwise be voting for Corzine.  He draws off Democrats at a much higher rate than Republicans, though supposedly those voters would split almost evenly otherwise.  I don't believe it, especially considering that third parties get 5% of the vote in races like this, even when they're totally unorganized.

My strategy would be for Corzine to drop an atomic bomb to suck the air out of the race—a wedge issue to polarize the voters on conservative/liberal lines.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #961 on: September 24, 2009, 12:00:50 PM »

I hope it turns out well for you (not that well though). Wink
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #962 on: September 24, 2009, 12:04:07 PM »

I hope it turns out well for you (not that well though). Wink
It should be pretty fun, I've never been to one to those.  The Christie campaign set up a contest that whatever college in New Jersey made the most calls this week, they would get an invite.  Somehow my tiny little school (well tiny compared to others) beat out Rutgers Wink
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #963 on: September 24, 2009, 12:07:43 PM »

Sry, but you probably wrote this just after you got up in the morning and didn't know what you were talking about, so I corrected it for you:

Woo-hoo got invited to the official Christie victory loser party!
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #964 on: September 24, 2009, 12:10:34 PM »

Sry, but you probably wrote this just after you got up in the morning and didn't know what you were talking about, so I corrected it for you:

Yes I don't know what I am talking about because I mean this statement shows your infinite knowledge of New Jersey politics:

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #965 on: September 24, 2009, 12:16:35 PM »

Yes I don't know what I am talking about because I mean this statement shows your infinite knowledge of New Jersey politics:

Sry, simply don`t have the time to look up "tricks" from every state race from the past ...
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #966 on: September 24, 2009, 12:18:38 PM »

You don't have times to look up tricks?  Dude, this is seriously one of the most commonly known things in the world of American politics.  I'd be surprised if five other forummers didn't know about it over the age of 15.

I don't pretend to know who is going to win an Austrian race, don't pretend to know you have any idea what is going on in my race
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #967 on: September 24, 2009, 12:19:59 PM »

A new (Democratic) poll just hit with race tied:

http://www.democracycorps.com/strategy/2009/09/new-jersey-governor-race-now-a-tie/
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #968 on: September 24, 2009, 12:24:40 PM »

I don't pretend to know who is going to win an Austrian race, don't pretend to know you have any idea what is going on in my race

So someone who doesn't live in the U.S. or New Jersey is not capable of analysis?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #969 on: September 24, 2009, 12:30:24 PM »

So someone who doesn't live in the U.S. or New Jersey is not capable of analysis?
They are incapable of making absurd absolute statements especially when they aren't even aware of the biggest political decision in New Jersey of the last ten years
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #970 on: September 24, 2009, 12:31:29 PM »

lol ok democracy corp gj

ps dwtl: shut up stop no one cares about who knew what when
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #971 on: September 24, 2009, 12:33:04 PM »

You don't have times to look up tricks?  Dude, this is seriously one of the most commonly known things in the world of American politics.  I'd be surprised if five other forummers didn't know about it over the age of 15.

I don`t know how common that is, that's why I asked what happened. As for over 15, yeah I turned 15 when the Senate race took place in 2002, but I started to follow US politics in depth only after 2006 and therefore wasn't really aware of everything that happened in smaller state races.

So can you please tell me what Corzine had to do with Lautenberg's replacement of the other Democrat ?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #972 on: September 24, 2009, 12:35:14 PM »

It portrays the general disdain that has been built up against the Democratic party over the last few years.  You have no idea what this state is about, how our people feel, or what the issues facing us even are. 

Yet, you think you can issue some sort of absolute statement about how our election will turn out
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #973 on: September 24, 2009, 12:48:13 PM »

It portrays the general disdain that has been built up against the Democratic party over the last few years.  You have no idea what this state is about, how our people feel, or what the issues facing us even are. 

Yet, you think you can issue some sort of absolute statement about how our election will turn out

A) When reading the polls, I can get an impression of the issues that are important for the NJ people. How do you know differently about what people there think, except talking with them ?

B) The disdain for Democrats wasn't really that big up to 2008, they have still won by big margins. We have yet to see how 2009 turns out, but there were similar polls in September 2006 and 2008 and they still had the Democrats down at this point. I´m more worried when Corzine is still down by 5 in Mid-October.

C) Don't take my correction above too seriously, I meant it more in a sarcastic way.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #974 on: September 24, 2009, 12:49:54 PM »

Corzine is still down by 5 in Mid-October.

"(S)till down by 5" seems to indicate you believe he is currently down by 5, which assuredly isn't the case.  Wink
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies