2009 New Jersey Governor's Race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 06:51:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2009 New Jersey Governor's Race
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 79
Author Topic: 2009 New Jersey Governor's Race  (Read 317856 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #900 on: September 09, 2009, 02:15:54 PM »

Senate Minority Leader Tom Kean Jr. told PoliticsNJ today that the Senate GOP would vote in a bloc when it comes to choosing the next Senate President. While the GOP is currently at a 23–17 disadvantage (with only 1 Democratic held seat—the open-but-safe SD05—up for election in 2009), there is likely to be a heated battle for Senate President between incumbent Dick Codey (D) and South Jersey Sen. Steve Sweeney (D).

North and South Jersey Democrats have a unwritten power-sharing deal—one controls the Assembly while one controls the Senate. With the Assembly speakership open and all the top contenders firmly located in the North Jersey power circle, Codey could get booted from his job.

Unless, of course, seventeen Republicans vote in a bloc for him. Or for Sweeney. The possibility for a deal, it would seem, is there.

It will be interesting to see how things develop.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #901 on: September 10, 2009, 02:49:55 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2009, 03:01:19 PM by cinyc »

Indeed - WMGM.  Plus, the NJ PBS stations air a TV news broadcast during the week.  I doubt either (or News 12) are as watched as the NYC/Philly locals, though.

WWOR is technically licensed to NJ, but tends to air a NYC-centered newscast. 

Since WWOR is now airing a UHF signal, some enterprising person bought a TV station in Ely, Nevada and has petitioned the FCC to move it to Middletown Township.  An old law requires the FCC to approve applications for at least 1 VHF commercial TV station in each state, if there's free spectrum.  New Jersey and Delaware currently don't have one, after the DTV transition, and nobody is broadcasting on channels 2-6.  The person also bought a station in Jackson, Wyoming, and has petitioned to move it to Wilimington, Delaware.  So NJ and DE may be getting new TV stations soon.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #902 on: September 10, 2009, 03:58:56 PM »

Since WWOR is now airing a UHF signal, some enterprising person bought a TV station in Ely, Nevada and has petitioned the FCC to move it to Middletown Township.  An old law requires the FCC to approve applications for at least 1 VHF commercial TV station in each state, if there's free spectrum.  New Jersey and Delaware currently don't have one, after the DTV transition, and nobody is broadcasting on channels 2-6.  The person also bought a station in Jackson, Wyoming, and has petitioned to move it to Wilimington, Delaware.  So NJ and DE may be getting new TV stations soon.

Can it get new people as well?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #903 on: September 10, 2009, 04:35:40 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2009, 04:46:56 PM by cinyc »

Can it get new people as well?

Probably not.  The law pretty much requires the FCC to approve an existing high-power VHF licensee's move to a state without a high-power commercial VHF station as long as there's room for it on the dial.  It was passed to make sure that RKO could keep operating WWOR after a license dispute over their Boston station caused the FCC to deny renewal.  WWOR moved to New Jersey - and the FCC had to issue them a license under the new law.  You can thank Bill Bradley for the law.

VHF - especially low-VHF (channels 2-6)- is not very good for digital TV due to interference issues.  But the moved stations will likely be "must carry" by cable in the New York and Philly TV markets - which is much more valuable than the OTA signal.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #904 on: September 13, 2009, 07:06:34 PM »

Best AD ever made!
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #905 on: September 14, 2009, 12:21:16 AM »

It's been showing on NYC OTA TV during the local news.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #906 on: September 14, 2009, 02:20:57 AM »

ruh roh, Christie's College Thesis just came out.  It's mostly just a photojournal framework from which he will govern:

looks like he came up with KFC's new double-down sandwich years before KFC's scientists figured it out!  the rest of the thesis pretty much continues like the above
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #907 on: September 14, 2009, 07:11:28 AM »

this thesis will play well in south jersey`
East Coast Republican

« Reply #908 on: September 14, 2009, 01:59:45 PM »

Public Policy Polling just twatted on twitter that 15% of Democrats are voting for Daggett.

Yeah I mean I don't know what that means for his numbers against Christie and I'm not even going to try to guess.  He could have solidified his Democratic margins by around 10-15% because in the last poll he was only getting 64% of Democrats so....80% of Democrats now support Corzine with Independents moving towards Corzine and reducing Christie's lead among indies?

OR this twat could mean that Corzine is still hovering in the 65-75 range of Dems and Christie is still rocking.

The purpose of PPPs twats is to hint at what the overall result is and I don't understand what this twat wants us to believe.

They also said that while Christie's negatives have gone up by 9%, Corzine's have also increased by 4%.

Anybody want to guess the poll numbers for tomorrow based on the twat?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #909 on: September 14, 2009, 02:10:33 PM »

Without looking at the last PPP, I'd guess that Corzine's numbers remain essentially unchanged, Christie drops a few, and maybe Daggett gains a few.

Not that anyone—I repeat, not that anyone should trust a poll showing a strong Daggett candidacy. His cap is likely the same 5% that libertarian Murray Sabrin got in 1997.  (And Murray Sabrin actually had an issue to galvanize support—abortion and a 65 MPH speed limit.)
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #910 on: September 14, 2009, 04:49:57 PM »

Political Wire got an advance look at a new Public Policy Polling survey in New Jersey that will be released tomorrow.

While Gov. Jon Corzine (D) has narrowed the gap in the governor's race since late July, Chris Christie (R) continues to hold a solid lead. One reason: Independent candidate Chris Daggett is polling in double digits and most of his supporters say they voted for Barack Obama last year and for Corzine in 2005.

Other key finding: Only 62% of people who say they voted for Corzine in 2005 are saying they plan to do so again.

The complete survey will be released tomorrow
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #911 on: September 14, 2009, 05:05:41 PM »

...Chris Daggett is polling in double digits...

lol, no he's not
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #912 on: September 15, 2009, 01:23:51 AM »

Public Policy Polling just twatted on twitter that 15% of Democrats are voting for Daggett.

Yeah I mean I don't know what that means for his numbers against Christie and I'm not even going to try to guess.  He could have solidified his Democratic margins by around 10-15% because in the last poll he was only getting 64% of Democrats so....80% of Democrats now support Corzine with Independents moving towards Corzine and reducing Christie's lead among indies?

OR this twat could mean that Corzine is still hovering in the 65-75 range of Dems and Christie is still rocking.

The purpose of PPPs twats is to hint at what the overall result is and I don't understand what this twat wants us to believe.

They also said that while Christie's negatives have gone up by 9%, Corzine's have also increased by 4%.

This year's New Jersey Governor's race is very funny.

Essentially both the Democrats and Republicans don't want to talk about their candidates, but only about the opposition.

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #913 on: September 15, 2009, 01:34:56 AM »

yeah New Jersey politics is normally so cordial WTF!!!
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #914 on: September 17, 2009, 12:44:53 PM »

This should calm down a little bit of worrying amongst Republicans who remember all too well what happened in 2002:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #915 on: September 17, 2009, 01:08:05 PM »

This should calm down a little bit of worrying amongst Republicans who remember all too well what happened in 2002:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

What happened in 2002 ?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #916 on: September 17, 2009, 01:16:12 PM »

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #917 on: September 17, 2009, 01:19:41 PM »

In English words please, I´m too lazy to look it up.

(I know that the old guy below might be Lautenberg)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #918 on: September 17, 2009, 01:30:31 PM »

That fact that you are unaware of what happened may go a long way in explaining your support of that crook Corzine
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #919 on: September 17, 2009, 01:32:19 PM »

Short explanation.

The Democrats had a sure loser as their nominee for U.S. Senate, and did a last minute substitute.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #920 on: September 17, 2009, 01:37:25 PM »

Senator Torricelli's poll numbers were collapsing after being slammed by the media (and his colleagues) with ethics charges and investigations. In late September, challenger Doug Forrester was leading him in internal (D) polls by 20 points.

Torricelli announced his intentions to withdraw from the race 36 days before the election. Problem is, New Jersey Election Law puts the deadline at 51 days.

After a tortured search for a replacement (Bill Bradley had no interest; Pallone was offered, accepted, and then withdrew), New Jersey Democrats (at the behest of national Democrats) settled on former Sen. Frank Lautenberg to replace Torricelli.

Republicans sued, but the State Supreme Court ruled that election law ain't no thang and allowed the switch anyway.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #921 on: September 17, 2009, 09:31:49 PM »

I had a weird dream last night that Corey Booker almost beat Corzine in some sort of second primary. I was also living in a monastery though.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #922 on: September 18, 2009, 09:25:08 AM »

Oh, Jon.

You can understand the statement in context, but it's not going to look good spliced into an attack ad:

"If you want to go to a really low unemployment rate, go to North Dakota."

http://blogs.app.com/politicspatrol/2009/09/18/corzine-to-unemployed-go-to-north-dakota/
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #923 on: September 18, 2009, 01:38:22 PM »

Oh, Jon.

You can understand the statement in context, but it's not going to look good spliced into an attack ad:

"If you want to go to a really low unemployment rate, go to North Dakota."

http://blogs.app.com/politicspatrol/2009/09/18/corzine-to-unemployed-go-to-north-dakota/

As if on queue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQfyFly4psU
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #924 on: September 18, 2009, 02:58:16 PM »

Wake me up when it's a real ad, not an internet ad that no one will see.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies