Predict how California's Prop 8 does (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:30:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Predict how California's Prop 8 does (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How does Prop 8 do, rounded to the nearest percent?
<45

narrow fail

narrow pass

> 55

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: Predict how California's Prop 8 does  (Read 7496 times)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« on: November 02, 2008, 04:19:32 PM »

Narrow Pass
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 12:14:46 AM »

It's worth noting that we're predicting it to fail by a margin of 20-11. Hopefully we're right.

And I bet of those 20, most when they think of California think SF and Hollywood. Too bad they don't think of the IE and the central valley. The yes people are gonna stack up the margins there.

Leaving work today, just on the way from City Hall to the bus stop, I saw three groups of people waving No on 8 signs. All of the cars that passed honked vigorously.

Hopefully it will lose though. Since, the worst state in the Union looks like it will pass a similar amendment, this is our chance to one-up them in the quest to become a truly free nation. Tongue

Gay marriage is far from being the canary in the freedom coalmine. There are much more important issues that indicate personal freedom.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 01:15:26 AM »

I thought we lived in a democracy...?

If the ACLU wants to overturn a proposition that people voted on, and it passed, let them go to hell.

Some things should not be subject to public referendum. I mean, if the people were voting to legalize slavery, I strongly suspect that would be agreeing with Lief here.

My point is, we have republican forms of government to protect the rights of the minority. To allow the people to vote on what rights the minority has is to undermine the delicate system that the founding fathers set forth in order to help secure those rights.

There is a difference between civil rights and natural rights. Ideally, the former kind wouldn't exist,but given that the state is unfortunately not going away anytime soon, the "right" to obtain a state-sponsered marital license should be decided by referendum. Yes passed, so I guess gays will have to just live together with a deomstic partnership without having an irrelevent third-party tell them that they're married (Tongue). To compare a legal definition to slavery is absurd.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 10:39:45 PM »

Smiley

Nothing makes me happier than to see gay marriage outlawed by the people on the state level

While your happiness would be justified if it were caused by the liberal establishment losing a campaign they were expected to win, I don't see how you could have any strong emotions one way or the other about such a trivial issue.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies