san diego and orange counties ca
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 02:27:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  san diego and orange counties ca
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: san diego and orange counties ca  (Read 9709 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 31, 2008, 11:19:00 AM »

any chance one or (OMGZ) both counties could go obama?

i say san diego county is in the bag for obama/biden at this point.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 11:31:39 AM »

San Diego has a great chance, but definitely not Orange County. No way.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 11:33:19 AM »

San Diego has a great chance, but definitely not Orange County. No way.
This.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 11:36:13 AM »

isnt obama the perfect kind of democrat for orange county?

he is exotic!
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 11:37:21 AM »
« Edited: October 31, 2008, 12:06:07 PM by xfactor99 »

Orange County didn't even go for the Democrats in 1964. If it ever votes Democrat (barring any sudden demographic changes - covering my ass here) I'll drink a cup of my piss.

edit -
Even Feinstein's joke opponent won Orange county last election.

I'm not sure Alan Keyes wouldn't lose Orange County. It's an amusing thought....
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 11:59:32 AM »

Even Feinstein's joke opponent won Orange county last election.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 12:02:32 PM »
« Edited: October 31, 2008, 12:59:00 PM by Torie »

San Diego there is about a 70% chance that Obama will carry it. In Orange, there is a 0% chance that Obama will carry it, despite my little vote for him.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 12:19:00 PM »

Orange County voted Jerry Brown for Governor by 4% in 1978 and Alan Cranston For Senate by 2% in 1974.  That's it in recent history.

Ya, and in 1978 Brown was running against a pathetic candidate at the height of his popularity, and I voted libertarian in that election. OC was more Dem then too. That was about the time the Dems took a narrow margin over the GOP in registration. In 1974, Cranston was running against a right wing kook, HL Richardson, who was a throwaway candidate. I voted for Cranston.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 12:37:39 PM »

Orange County voted Jerry Brown for Governor by 4% in 1978 and Alan Cranston For Senate by 2% in 1974.  That's it in recent history.

Ya, and in 1978 Brown was running against a pathetic candidate at the height of his popularity, and I voted libertarian in that election. OC was more Dem then too. That was about the time the Dems took a narrow margin over the GOP in registration. In 1974, Cranston was running against a right wing kook, HL Richardson, who was a throwaway candidate. I voted for Cranston.

Is that when the GOP bankrupted the county? Or maybe I am confusing that with something else. Anyways you voted for Obama?? Yay!!! Haha but even with you vote Obama will lose by almost double digits in OC. I think he has a very good chance in San Diego though.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 12:45:42 PM »

Is that when the GOP bankrupted the county? Or maybe I am confusing that with something else. Anyways you voted for Obama?? Yay!!! Haha but even with you vote Obama will lose by almost double digits in OC. I think he has a very good chance in San Diego though.

Nah, the OC BK was in much more recent times, like maybe 15 years ago. The Dem surge was when young folks were rebelling against the parents and smoking dope and against the war, and the GOP was pushing its stern parenthood theme (Hiyakawa got elected to the Senate by virtue of ripping off the wires of a microphone on a stage where dope smoking long haired bearded radicals were having a rally at SF State). And then came Reagan, Iran took the hostages and patriotism became cool again,  the Vietnamese started voting, the dopers cut their hair or moved to Santa Cruz, and order was restored.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 12:48:23 PM »

Nah, the OC BK was in much more recent times, like maybe 15 years ago. The Dem surge was when young folks were rebelling against the parents and smoking dope and against the war, and the GOP was pushing its stern parenthood theme (Hiyakawa got elected to the Senate by virtue of ripping off the wires of a microphone on a stage where dope smoking long haired bearded radicals were having a rally at SF State). And then came Reagan, Iran took the hostages and patriotism became cool again,  the Vietnamese started voting, the dopers cut their hair or moved to Santa Cruz, and order was restored.

Hah that could be a reason why OC will again shift left this election. Watch out for your precious congressmen. Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 12:50:24 PM »

The young are not rebelling against their parents, and a fair number of them are evangelicals, who pack Rick Warren's Saddleback Church. Tongue
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 12:52:36 PM »

The young are not rebelling against their parents, and a fair number of them are evangelicals, who pack Rick Warren's Saddleback Church. Tongue

They are rebelling against the war and authority though. Of course the boomers are just as ready to jump into revolution. Tongue On election night I am sure we will see the under 30's and the boomers put Obama over the top. The gen x'ers and the oldies vote for Mccain.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 02:18:27 PM »

A better question: Any chance Anaheim can go Obama?  How well did Kerry do?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 02:31:07 PM »

A better question: Any chance Anaheim can go Obama?  How well did Kerry do?

41%

Aliso Viejo: 58-41 Bush
Anaheim: 58-41 Bush
Brea: 66-33 Bush
Buena Park: 55-44 Bush
Costa Mesa: 56-43 Bush
Cypress: 59-40 Bush
Dana Point: 60-39 Bush
Fountain Valley: 65-34 Bush
Fullerton: 59-40 Bush
Garden Grove: 61-38 Bush
Huntington Beach: 60-39 Bush
Irvine: 52-47 Bush
La Habra: 58-41 Bush
La Palma: 57-42 Bush

Laguna Beach: 57-42 Kerry
Laguna Hills: 63-36 Bush
Laguna Niguel: 61-38 Bush

Laguna Woods: 53-46 Kerry
Lake Forest: 64-35 Bush
Mission Viejo: 64-35 Bush
Newport Beach: 65-34 Bush
Orange: 63-35 Bush
Placentia: 63-36 Bush
Rancho Santa Margarita: 67-32 Bush
San Clemente: 64-34 Bush
San Juan: 64-34 Bush

Santa Ana: 54-45 Kerry
Seal Beach: 54-45 Bush
Stanton: 55-43 Bush
Tustin: 58-41 Bush
Villa Park: 77-22 Bush
Westminster: 64-35 Bush
Yorba Linda: 72-27 Bush
Unincorporated Orange County: 67-32 Bush
Total: 60-39  Bush

Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 02:41:20 PM »

The winds must have been blowing.  They make people do all kinds of crazy things Wink.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 02:46:02 PM »

isnt obama the perfect kind of democrat for orange county?

he is exotic!

Is exotic code for "uppity"?  Wink
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008, 02:54:23 PM »

They are rebelling against the war and authority though. Of course the boomers are just as ready to jump into revolution. Tongue On election night I am sure we will see the under 30's and the boomers put Obama over the top. The gen x'ers and the oldies vote for Mccain.

In the OC they're a minority. Any Republican would win Orange County. It's the textbook Republican voting area: Evangelical Exurbia.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 03:07:42 PM »

In the OC they're a minority. Any Republican would win Orange County. It's the textbook Republican voting area: Evangelical Exurbia.

Evangelical Exurbia with an economy built on the military industrial complex, populated by transplants from the Bible Belt and Midwest Heartland who were nearly all white, and then targeted by right-wing extremist groups (e.g. the John Birch Society) as prime ideological breeding ground.

Read Suburban Warriors by Lisa McGirr.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2008, 03:14:18 PM »
« Edited: October 31, 2008, 03:17:27 PM by Alcon »

I gotta say, I haven't been to Orange County or studied it much, but it doesn't seem like the kind of place where a ton of voters would be attracted to 'exotic.'

I mean, I guess this is an exotic of sorts?

Edit: Unfair caricature, sorry, but still, I don't think that a majority of Orange County-ites are latte liberals in denial or something.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2008, 03:15:38 PM »
« Edited: October 31, 2008, 03:33:30 PM by Torie »

Evangelical Exurbia with an economy built on the military industrial complex, populated by transplants from the Bible Belt and Midwest Heartland who were nearly all white, and then targeted by right-wing extremist groups (e.g. the John Birch Society) as prime ideological breeding ground.

Read Suburban Warriors by Lisa McGirr.

That is a ludicrous caricature actually, at least at this point in time. There are evangelicals out there, but they are not dominant. It is not Colin County, Texas.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2008, 03:35:10 PM »

I gotta say, I haven't been to Orange County or studied it much, but it doesn't seem like the kind of place where a ton of voters would be attracted to 'exotic.'

Edit: Unfair caricature, sorry, but still, I don't think that a majority of Orange County-ites are latte liberals in denial or something.

How did you capture that image, Alcon? I tried to do one for the plaza (say 32 Plaza Square), which is midwestern cutsy in Orange, and failed.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2008, 03:36:26 PM »
« Edited: October 31, 2008, 03:38:43 PM by Alcon »

How did you capture that image, Alcon? I tried to do one for the plaza (say 32 Plaza Square), which is midwestern cutsy in Orange, and failed.

There's a "Link" button at the upper righthand that allows for a direct link.

Even better:  with street view

Edit: Probably a few latte liberals 'round there, Kerry precinct.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2008, 03:37:59 PM »

Thanks!  Smiley
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2008, 04:11:13 PM »
« Edited: October 31, 2008, 04:12:53 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

San Diego - A good chance
Orange - None. It's probably the most consistently Republican large county in the country
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies