obama's sec of state?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 07:36:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  obama's sec of state?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: obama's sec of state?  (Read 13752 times)
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2008, 09:23:56 PM »
« edited: November 16, 2008, 09:31:02 PM by Ogre Mage »

Bill Clinton's fundraising activities for his foundation and library are a complication, but I do not see it as a deal-breaker.  Hillary is far from the first nominee for a major government position to have a potential conflict of interest due to her spouse's activities.  Should Chief Justice Roberts recuse himself from abortion cases because his wife sits on the board of directors for "Feminists For Life?"  It is only a problem if Hillary's actions benefit her husband's contributors and are also to the detriment of U.S. interests.  She can address this issue in the confirmation hearings. 

Given the popularity of the Clinton Brand overseas, her many connections with leaders abroad, 100% name recognition, experience on the Senate Armed Services Committee, extensive travel and the constituency she developed during her Presidential campaign, she would bring a unique stature to the office.  I think she would be more successful getting people to the negotiation table than some of the other candidates mentioned and would pursue U.S. interests with a steely toughness.  I would be surprised if there was a huge roadblock during her confirmation hearings because even some Republicans seem favorable to the idea.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/11/16/republicans-praise-idea-of-hillary-clinton-as-secretary-of-state/

paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2008, 09:29:15 PM »

Secretary of State is about the only position I do think Hillary Clinton is qualified for.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Slovakia

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: 0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2008, 01:10:33 AM »

Secretary of State is about the only position I do think Hillary Clinton is qualified for.

you mean because she got shot at in Bosnia?
Biden Stans Are Cringelords
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2008, 02:30:48 PM »

Hillary Clinton would make a great sos but she really is self-motivated and I doubt they'll get along very well.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2008, 03:16:02 PM »

WASHINGTON — Hillary Rodham Clinton has decided to give up her Senate seat and accept the position of secretary of state, making her the public face around the world for the administration of the man who beat her for the Democratic presidential nomination, two confidants said Friday.

The apparent accord between perhaps the two leading figures in the Democratic Party climaxed a week-long drama that riveted the nation’s capital.

Mrs. Clinton came to her decision after additional discussion with President-elect Barack Obama about the nature of her role and his plans for foreign policy, said one of the confidants, who insisted on anonymity to discuss the situation.

Mr. Obama’s office told reporters on Thursday that the nomination is “on track” but this is the first word from the Clinton camp that she has decided.

“She’s ready,” the confidant said, addding that Mrs. Clinton was reassured after talking again with Mr. Obama because their first meeting in Chicago last week “was so general.” The purpose of the follow-up talk, he noted, was not to extract particular concessions but “just getting comfortable” with the idea of working together.

A second Clinton associate confirmed that her camp believes they have a done deal. Senior Obama advisers said Friday morning that the offer had not been formally accepted and no announcement would be made until after Thanksgiving. But they said they were convinced that the nascent alliance was ready to be sealed.

Mr. Obama and Mrs. Clinton fought the most competitive Democratic nomination battle in modern times, one that polarized their party for months and left bitterness in both camps. But in asking Mrs. Clinton to join his Cabinet, Mr. Obama signaled that he wants to turn a rival into a partner, and she concluded that she could have the most influence by accepting the offer.

The decision followed days of intense vetting and negotiations intended to clear any potential obstacles to her taking the job due to her husband’s global business and philanthropic activities. Lawyers for Mr. Obama and former President Bill Clinton combed through his finances and drew up a set of guidelines for his future activities intended to avoid any appearances of conflict of interest should she take the job.

People close to the vetting said Mr. Clinton turned over the names of 208,000 donors to his foundation and library and agreed to all of the conditions requested by Mr. Obama’s transition team, including restrictions on his future paid speeches and role at his international foundation.

As secretary of state, Mrs. Clinton will have had a powerful platform to travel the world and help repair relations with other countries strained after eight years of President Bush’s policies. But at the same time, she will now have to subordinate her own agenda and ambitions to Mr. Obama’s and sacrifice the independence that comes with a Senate seat and the 18 million votes she collected during their arduous primary battle.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/22/us/politics/22obama.html
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2008, 07:50:42 PM »

i liolz at bill richardson.

i guess the big endorsment didnt help judas out as much as he though!
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2008, 08:24:23 PM »

i liolz at bill richardson.

i guess the big endorsment didnt help judas out as much as he though!

James Carville, is that you?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2008, 09:41:00 AM »

Just my 2 cents, but HC as SOS is a huge strategic blunder for Obama...
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2008, 01:12:09 PM »

Mind enlightening us as of why?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2008, 01:57:02 PM »

Too risky... you want someone who is independent, but at the same time will enforce your vision... She's likely to go on a power trip.  The Clintons aren't used to being told what to do.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2008, 01:59:13 PM »

Too risky... you want someone who is independent, but at the same time will enforce your vision... She's likely to go on a power trip.  The Clintons aren't used to being told what to do.

It's better to have someone who might be a nuisance under your nose than out in the Senate causing unneeded press or being an obstructionist.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2008, 02:25:49 PM »

''Better to be in the tent pissing out...''
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2008, 02:33:53 PM »

Hillary likely getting it just strikes me as pandering at its worst. Seeing someone like Richardson, who is the most qualified for the job out of all the mentioned contenders, gets passed over is simply a mistake on Obama's part.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2008, 02:37:13 PM »

Hillary likely getting it just strikes me as pandering at its worst. Seeing someone like Richardson, who is the most qualified for the job out of all the mentioned contenders, gets passed over is simply a mistake on Obama's part.

I assume you supported Richardson for President then.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2008, 02:39:53 PM »

Hillary for Shadow Commander-in-Chief...?

Oh please God, oh please: I want Hillary to be Secretary of State, because then America will finally have a Commander-in-Chief for the next four years.

I think it would be great for people like me to have Sen. Clinton firmly planted in swampy environs of Foggy Bottom, namely because she’ll drive a deep and sharp stake into Obama’s side.

Forget policy here; let’s have a round of applause for clashing egos!

This is such a bad idea for Obama, and I can’t tell whether he came up with this clunker all on his own (…’Team of Rivals’, my tush!), or he’s being played for a fool by the Bill-n’-Hillary gang he’s hired to work for him, or rather to work around him.

This is almost as bad for him as hiring Bill ‘Drama Queen’ Richardson for the job!

It will also drive Biden further into borderline insanity, since he thought he was supposed to be the one bringing foreign policy gravitas to the Obama administration. We all know he’s sitting somewhere with a pen and paper trying to decide on whether he should go with the ‘Biden Initiative’ or the ‘Biden Doctrine’ as a title for whatever new grand theory may come to him later, and with Hillary blocking his way to gravitas-dom, his job will be reduced to that of court jester, providing comic relief for late night show hosts the world over.

This is so wonderful on so many levels. Even if she doesn’t take the job, then the most fanatic of Obama’s supporters would have already started to question his judgment for considering her in the first place, and if she does, then the bureaucrats at State will have to deal with a CEO accepted and (secretly) championed by the neocons, even more so than they approve of Condi (…ahhhm, actually they don’t approve of Condi at all).

In a crisis, all eyes will be on Hillary to lead the way; Obama will recede to the background.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2008, 02:49:44 PM »

Hillary for Shadow Commander-in-Chief...?

Oh please God, oh please: I want Hillary to be Secretary of State, because then America will finally have a Commander-in-Chief for the next four years.

I think it would be great for people like me to have Sen. Clinton firmly planted in swampy environs of Foggy Bottom, namely because she’ll drive a deep and sharp stake into Obama’s side.

Forget policy here; let’s have a round of applause for clashing egos!

This is such a bad idea for Obama, and I can’t tell whether he came up with this clunker all on his own (…’Team of Rivals’, my tush!), or he’s being played for a fool by the Bill-n’-Hillary gang he’s hired to work for him, or rather to work around him.

This is almost as bad for him as hiring Bill ‘Drama Queen’ Richardson for the job!

It will also drive Biden further into borderline insanity, since he thought he was supposed to be the one bringing foreign policy gravitas to the Obama administration. We all know he’s sitting somewhere with a pen and paper trying to decide on whether he should go with the ‘Biden Initiative’ or the ‘Biden Doctrine’ as a title for whatever new grand theory may come to him later, and with Hillary blocking his way to gravitas-dom, his job will be reduced to that of court jester, providing comic relief for late night show hosts the world over.

This is so wonderful on so many levels. Even if she doesn’t take the job, then the most fanatic of Obama’s supporters would have already started to question his judgment for considering her in the first place, and if she does, then the bureaucrats at State will have to deal with a CEO accepted and (secretly) championed by the neocons, even more so than they approve of Condi (…ahhhm, actually they don’t approve of Condi at all).

In a crisis, all eyes will be on Hillary to lead the way; Obama will recede to the background.

Let us know when you're ready to rejoin reality with the rest of us, O.K.?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #91 on: November 23, 2008, 04:30:26 PM »

John Kerry would still have been the best choice of those who were being considered by Obama.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #92 on: November 24, 2008, 03:43:07 PM »

I assume you supported Richardson for President then.

I supported Edwards actually. I just think that he is by far the most qualified for the job out of all the contenders.

Personally, I think that if Obama wanted to give Hillary a high-level cabinet post, he should've made her Attorney General. Which speaks more to her strengths, IMO.

paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2008, 05:23:39 PM »

I supported Edwards actually. I just think that he is by far the most qualified for the job out of all the contenders.

Based on what?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2008, 05:29:45 PM »

Based on what?

He's talking about Richardson not Edwards... We all know Richardson's long diplomatic credentials...

Personally, I thought John Kerry would be good in the State department.
Four49
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.42, S: -8.09

« Reply #95 on: November 25, 2008, 04:25:55 AM »

I feel bad for Richardson.  He was my pick during the primaries, mostly because of his skills as a diplomat.  He might not be good in front of a camera, but what happens behind the scenes is what's supposed to matter. 

Although, he apparantly needs to learn how to pick his friends.  First the Clintons use him as their token Hispanic, now Obama bends him over by picking Hillary for SOS.  Unless, of course, he endorsed Obama in hopes of being Secretary of Commerce Smiley
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #96 on: November 26, 2008, 01:21:12 AM »

John Kerry is getting a pretty big bone in spite of not getting Sec. of State.  VP elect Joe Biden is stepping down as chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Kerry is next in line.

I don't know why Bill Richardson would want to quit being N.M. governor to become Sec. of Commerce.  It seems like a step down.  OTOH, his governorship ends in 2 years.  The Commerce gig will last longer.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #97 on: November 26, 2008, 02:08:47 PM »

John Kerry is getting a pretty big bone in spite of not getting Sec. of State.  VP elect Joe Biden is stepping down as chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Kerry is next in line.

I don't know why Bill Richardson would want to quit being N.M. governor to become Sec. of Commerce.  It seems like a step down.  OTOH, his governorship ends in 2 years.  The Commerce gig will last longer.
I'm 99% sure that Obama gave Richardson Commerce with the promise that he'd get State when Clinton retires.
Four49
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.42, S: -8.09

« Reply #98 on: November 26, 2008, 06:31:04 PM »

I'm 99% sure that Obama gave Richardson Commerce with the promise that he'd get State when Clinton retires.

I'd be amazed if Hillary ever retired.  Unless she does something contoversial enough to make Obama look bad and dump her before his re-election bid, we're stuck with her for awhile.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #99 on: November 26, 2008, 07:10:00 PM »

Sec of State's usually don't serve for more than four years or so. At the very least, she'll retire in 2014 to start running for 2016. Tongue

I'd be amazed if Hillary ever retired.  Unless she does something contoversial enough to make Obama look bad and dump her before his re-election bid, we're stuck with her for awhile.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies