Ideology aside, is Sarah Palin competent to serve as President?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 08:41:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Ideology aside, is Sarah Palin competent to serve as President?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Ideology aside, is Sarah Palin  competent to serve as President?
No (D)

Yes (D)

No (R)

Yes (R)

No (I)

Yes (I)

Undecided

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 88

Author Topic: Ideology aside, is Sarah Palin competent to serve as President?  (Read 4893 times)
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2008, 01:40:44 PM »

What I don't get is why she WANTS to be president (or VP)? Just for the power? We've heard plenty from the others on their ideology, hopes, beliefs and what kind of America they want for the future. What does Palin stand for  - that she wants all our children to play hockey?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2008, 01:42:48 PM »

What I don't get is why she WANTS to be president (or VP)? Just for the power? We've heard plenty from the others on their ideology, hopes, beliefs and what kind of America they want for the future. What does Palin stand for  - that she wants all our children to play hockey?

She wants to be able to fire all her skanky relatives ex-husbands.  That's real power, for a dimwitted 'soccer mom' type.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2008, 01:55:24 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/25/palin.tension/index.html

Fuck CNN, but I think this is obvious. As I stated before, she'll basically be out of the loop in important decision-making in a hypothetical McCain Administration because of her lack of knowledge in comparison to her NSC counterparts. So there's really no point to her existence on the ticket other than to rile up the base and provide a pretty face to go to funerals.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2008, 01:56:49 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2008, 01:58:25 PM by Ronnie »

I understand that Torie put an 'ideology-aside' label in the title of the poll, but the people on this poll are so hyper-partisan, that it doesn't really matter.

Are we all really that bad?  Sad

Looking at the polls, it seems the Republicans are splitting semi-close.  Unless those are Dems voting as Republicans, which I guess is possible.  Still, optimism!

Current results:

Yes (D): 0
No (D) : 9

Does that tell you something?
Daniel Adams
Georgia

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: 2.43

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2008, 01:57:35 PM »

She's both dumb and inept, the least competent VP candidate in the last 50 years.
Dan Quayle must be relieved the Dems have found a new target.

Palin makes Quayle look like JFK.

She's definitely the worst running mate since Eagleton.
Fascinating. I wonder what future GOP vice-presidential nominee will make Palin look like JFK.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2008, 01:58:28 PM »

Current results:

No (D) : 10

Well, either the GOPers out there are more fair-minded, or all but the most partisan GOPers are voting overwhelmingly "no."  Pick your choose Smiley
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2008, 01:59:34 PM »

Not at all.  She makes Dan Quayle look like a Mensa member.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2008, 01:59:52 PM »

I understand that Torie put an 'ideology-aside' label in the title of the poll, but the people on this poll are so hyper-partisan, that it doesn't really matter.

Are we all really that bad?  Sad

Looking at the polls, it seems the Republicans are splitting semi-close.  Unless those are Dems voting as Republicans, which I guess is possible.  Still, optimism!

Current results:

Yeah thats because she is not competent enough to serve as president. You can make a case that Obama is not experience enough to be president, but even you have to admit he is competent enough and knows the issues backwards and forwards. Do you really think Palin could take over in January if she needed to?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2008, 02:02:12 PM »

No, she isn't.  Palin is the most unqualified person to serve on a major ticket in the last 100 years; not only does she lack experience, but she doesn't even have the basic intelligence to grasp the vast array of issues that are facing America.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2008, 02:02:25 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2008, 02:05:48 PM by Torie »

Current results:

Well, either the GOPers out there are more fair-minded, or all but the most partisan GOPers are voting overwhelmingly "no."  Pick your choose Smiley

More telling, is that many Pubbies are not voting at all, or that many Pubbies have left the site for the duration (or dropped the blue avator), because it is all too discommoding to contemplate the evolving political landscape. It is easier here to be an old. One has just seen it all, or most of it, before, and life went on. You know, the worst thing is when someone you really supported proves a fail. Hopefully, you will not suffer that indignity as you continue over time your Loooong March towards final exit. Smiley
Daniel Adams
Georgia

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2008, 02:03:44 PM »

No, she isn't.  Palin is the most unqualified person to serve on a major ticket in the last 100 years; not only does she lack experience, but she doesn't even have the basic intelligence to grasp the vast array of issues that are facing America.
Please tell me how Barack Obama is more qualified than Palin. And, no, ad hominem attacks on Palin's intelligence are not valid arguments.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2008, 02:06:42 PM »

Please tell me how Barack Obama is more qualified than Palin. And, no, ad hominem attacks on Palin's intelligence are not valid arguments.

Senator Obama has proven, in debate after debate, that he has a strong enough grasp of the issues that he can be President on January 20.  Governor Palin has yet to prove that she can take over the Presidency at a moment's notice, and perform.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2008, 02:08:02 PM »

Nope.

Gee... I seem to recall that there was a Republican on this forum who, when this whole VP thing was discussed the first time around, expressed concerns that she wasn't ready, while everyone attacked me for saying that.  Who was that?  Who was that?  Hmmmm... anyone remember?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2008, 02:10:07 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2008, 02:13:31 PM by Torie »

Nope.

Gee... I seem to recall that there was a Republican on this forum who, when this whole VP thing was discussed the first time around, expressed concerns that she wasn't ready, while everyone attacked me for saying that.  Who was that?  Who was that?  Hmmmm... anyone remember?

Well, I thought she was a joke too, but she did give a couple of good speeches, before well, whatever revealed that  the initial presumption was actually too generous.
Daniel Adams
Georgia

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2008, 02:12:13 PM »

Senator Obama has proven, in debate after debate, that he has a strong enough grasp of the issues that he can be President on January 20.  Governor Palin has yet to prove that she can take over the Presidency at a moment's notice, and perform.
I take comfort in the fact that, while Obama's oratory may be impressive, Palin has actually governed an entire state. The largest state in the Union in fact, and one where energy is a very important issue. Alaskans are clearly satisfied with her administration; she is one the most popular governors, with approval ratings over 80%. Obama, on the other hand, has spent more time campaigning than actually legislating (he has never governed anything, of course).
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2008, 02:13:17 PM »

Nope.

Well, I thought she was a joke too, but she did give a couple of good speeches, before well, whatever revealed the initial presumption was actually too generous.

Oh, I agree, and am somewhat ashamed that I bought into the hype for even two seconds, but my gut feeling all along was that this would be a disaster, even before I knew exactly why.

We could have had Ridge, or Lieberman, or at least someone who would have given us a chance, or made us look less pathetic... but of no, good ole, ignorant, scandal riddle Sarah Palin is the right choice, because she appeals to the base.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2008, 02:16:43 PM »

Not at all.  She makes Dan Quayle look like a Mensa member.
Indeed. Dan Quayle looks more like J.J. than Sarah Palin does.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2008, 02:17:11 PM »

Yes.  Obama and McCain have been thinking about being president for years and Biden has been running since the 80s.  At the time of the Gibson/Couric interviews, Palin had only been at it for a few weeks.  I think she's a very quick study and someone who can grasp new events without buckling under pressure. All she needs is a good set of advisors and she'd be fine.

Give her 4 years or a couple years as VP and she'll be fine.  She's not ready right NOW, but she doesn't have to be.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2008, 02:17:43 PM »

We could have had Ridge, or Lieberman, or at least someone who would have given us a chance, or made us look less pathetic... but of no, good ole, ignorant, scandal riddle Sarah Palin is the right choice, because she appeals to the base.

Who in the short term at least may become the core of the GOP if you loose the Presidency and further seats in congress. You don't build that sort of base over the last thirty years and then expect them not to want one of their own running for office. A powerful 'lowest common denominator' base gives you a lowest common denominator candidate. With the moderates and intellectuals and small c conservatives being swept out of the GOP it is now the plaything of the braying mass.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2008, 02:18:59 PM »

I take comfort in the fact that, while Obama's oratory may be impressive, Palin has actually governed an entire state. The largest state in the Union in fact, and one where energy is a very important issue. Alaskans are clearly satisfied with her administration; she is one the most popular governors, with approval ratings over 80%. Obama, on the other hand, has spent more time campaigning than actually legislating (he has never governed anything, of course).

Sorry but the difference between Obama and Palin go beyond oratory skills. Actually Palin isn't bad herself. The real problem arises from her knowledge, or lack thereof. Obama has proved in interview after interview and debate after debate that he can stand up on the same stage as the "experienced" establishment and go toe to toe with them. Palin has shown knowledge on just one issue, and that is energy. That might be enough to govern Alaska but not the country.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2008, 02:28:36 PM »

Exactly. To me the issue of whether one is ready to be president has rather little to do with experience. Obviously you'd want a president to have some experience with politics, but both Palin and Obama has this. What disqualifies Palin is a lack of understanding the issues, a lack of reflectory ability, a lack of interest in understanding world affairs.

McCain is definitely qualified. Bob Dole was qualified. George Bush senior was qualified. The vast majority of presidential and vice presidential candidates from both parties have been qualified. The exceptions are Bush junior, Dan Quayle and most definitely Sarah Palin. If the GOP nominates her in 2012 they're gonna lose big (again). But I'm sure they won't be stupid enough to nominate her. This campaign has severely tarnished her image and quite rightly so.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2008, 02:28:55 PM »

Yes.  Obama and McCain have been thinking about being president for years and Biden has been running since the 80s.  At the time of the Gibson/Couric interviews, Palin had only been at it for a few weeks.  I think she's a very quick study and someone who can grasp new events without buckling under pressure. All she needs is a good set of advisors and she'd be fine.

Give her 4 years or a couple years as VP and she'll be fine.  She's not ready right NOW, but she doesn't have to be.

After the six years I have spent in higher education, I can tell you that I have met alot of "quick studies".  I'm a quick study.  But when you are President, the test isn't 40 questions multiple choice or 3 essays that you can bullsh**t around.  You have to actually understand the complexity of most of the issues.  No one can be an expert at everything, but when don't know much about anything then we are talking about a real problem.

Now, I'm a generalist, but I like to think of myself as being a mile wide and a foot deep, in most places.  Even a mile wide and an inch deep is fine, the problem is, Palin is only about a foot wide an an inch deep.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2008, 02:35:12 PM »

After the six years I have spent in higher education, I can tell you that I have met alot of "quick studies".  I'm a quick study.  But when you are President, the test isn't 40 questions multiple choice or 3 essays that you can bullsh**t around.  You have to actually understand the complexity of most of the issues.  No one can be an expert at everything, but when don't know much about anything then we are talking about a real problem.

Now, I'm a generalist, but I like to think of myself as being a mile wide and a foot deep, in most places.  Even a mile wide and an inch deep is fine, the problem is, Palin is only about a foot wide an an inch deep.

The point is to know what you don't know, and know how to ask the right questions, and know when you are being BS'ed, and keep asking questions, and demand information, until that magic moment when in your best judgment, you gain some reasoned level of confidence that you are competent to make a judgment. But then that is the sort of thing I do for a living, so maybe I find it more second nature than most.

The worst thing is not to be aware of one's own ignorance, which is the first step to knowledge.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2008, 02:43:23 PM »

The point is to know what you don't know, and know how to ask the right questions, and know when you are being BS'ed, and keep asking questions, and demand information, until that magic moment when in your best judgment, you gain some reasoned level of confidence that you are competent to make a judgment. But then that is the sort of thing I do for a living, so maybe I find it more second nature than most.

The worst thing is not to be aware of one's own ignorance, which is the first step to knowledge.

That's basically what I was going for, but better put.  If you don't know enough to even know what you don't know, then you are hopeless.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2008, 02:53:00 PM »

No (R) - 6

Yes (R) - 3

lol
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to: