Why do people forget the "WALK SOFTLY"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:02:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why do people forget the "WALK SOFTLY"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why do people forget the "WALK SOFTLY"  (Read 1411 times)
Wakie
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 17, 2004, 07:40:55 AM »

It strikes me how often I hear people these days repeat the old Teddy Roosevelt quote "Walk softly and carry a big stick".  To be certain a very sound national policy.

What strikes me though is how many Bush-supporters I've heard repeat this quote when Bush has absolutely ignored the "walk softly" portion of the quote.

By repeatedly thumbing his nose at the international community, by announcing "bring em on" to terrorists, by appearing under a large banner declaring "mission accomplished", and just basically by being a loudmouthed blustering buffoon George W Bush has NOT "walked softly".

Today David Kay's successor as the head of our weapons inspectors declared that not only did Iraq NOT have WMDs, but that "We were almost all wrong about Saddam's weapons programs."
[link=http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040917/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/iraq_weapons&cid=542&ncid=716]
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040917/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/iraq_weapons&cid=542&ncid=716
[/link]

Under Bush's leadership the US has gone from a soft walking international gentleman to a loud mouthed bully.
Posterity
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2004, 12:36:03 PM »

Agreed.

The quote also says carry a big stick, not to beat others over the head with it.  Of course there are times when the big stick needs to be used, but Iraq was not one of them.

Ronald Reagan understood the idea of peace through strength, but George W. Bush apparently does not.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2004, 01:04:47 PM »

Wakie, you really need to read some of the letters Roosevelt sent to other nations.
cwelsch

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2004, 12:28:39 PM »

It's uhhh ... "speak" softly, at least as TR said it.  I don't think I'd use him for an anti-war argument, he wanted to go into WWI in 1914 and called Wilson a yellow coward when he didn't.  TR was probably the closest we've ever had to a war-mongering president.  He was just very charismatic about it.
cwelsch

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2004, 12:30:30 PM »

He also wanted to send the Navy around the world, just to prove we were bad-asses.  Congress refused to spend money on it.  He sent the ships halfway around the world, which was in the budget, then forced Congress to authorize the money to bring them home the second half.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies