Dumping gay marriage prop in California is getting intense
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 12:26:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Dumping gay marriage prop in California is getting intense
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 20
Author Topic: Dumping gay marriage prop in California is getting intense  (Read 46096 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: November 21, 2008, 11:24:39 AM »

It seems to me that for legal simplification, persons involved in a legal intimate relationship which does n9ot infove children should have the status of civil partnership, for purposes of simplification.

Now, seperate divisions of family law courts (in my state, superior court) can be set up if this process is emplaced, and the courts could expeditiously handle resolution of civil union matters as many of the procedures involved in marriages with children would not need to be included.

What if a heterosexual couple is dishonest in obtaining marriage, just for the extra benefits (assuming there are any)?  Are they prosecuted for fraud, or what?  You were arguing for ideological consistency and zealousness in the enforcement thereof, after all.

This all just seems like extra government bureaucracy to me.  Why even have government in marriage?

And why haven't I seen you beat the drum for revoking marriages of those who are too old to procreate?  Why is that not "loony"?

Now, it seems to me that an understanding to make the changes I have proposed could implemented after the loonies stop trying to impose 'gay marriage.'

Yes, I understand.  People who disagree with you are crazy.  Gotcha.

First, what "extra benefits" do you assume would accrue to people with marriages versus civil unions?

Second, those engage in attacks on the rights of others to disagree, are loonies and hurt their own self-professed cause.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #276 on: November 21, 2008, 11:24:49 AM »

."

As I pointed out earlier, the primary purpose of Marriage in the United States, as distinguished from civil unions, is the protection or the rights of children.

Even if that were true--and that has been debated for many reasons--the commonality of this argument is one reason why state courts have refused to exclude same-sex couples raising children jointly via adoption from the protection of marriage.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #277 on: November 21, 2008, 11:29:08 AM »

I doubt much people who get married think they do so for the sake of whatever children they may have.

(If they so, it is much higher now than say, 50 years ago.)

Well, a lot of people (in Britain anyway, I don't know about elsewhere) these days marry after they've had their first child, so it might be a factor in those (just an assumption really).

Ah, but that suggests a response (to me anyway) that is due to convention or an ideal view of marriage itself rather than "we must have a better structure to look after the kids". (Which probably suggests that people who do marry after their first children have on average put more thought into looking after their children then those that don't, ergo it will probably end up being a more stable relationship.)

Probably, yeah. It's also an example of how marriage, as a cultural and social institution, is always changing. You just didn't get that sort of thing fifty years ago.

Which is my point (and that and the whatever marriage "means" to anyone person getting married might "mean" - if it means anything at all, goddamn functionalism - something completely different to another individual. Even if these individuals are the bride and groom.) Thus its stooopid to argue "OMG GAY MARRIAGE TO DESTROY OUR SOCIETY!!1111112" and so on.

EDIT: Why does this thread have 19 pages?

Because it's two sides screeching at the wind?

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #278 on: November 21, 2008, 11:29:36 AM »

I doubt much people who get married think they do so for the sake of whatever children they may have.

Well, a lot of people (in Britain anyway, I don't know about elsewhere) these days marry after they've had their first child, so it might be a factor in those (just an assumption really).

Ah, but that suggests a response (to me anyway) that is due to convention or an ideal view of marriage itself rather than "we must have a better structure to look after the kids". (Which probably suggests that people who do marry after their first children have on average put more thought into looking after their children then those that don't, ergo it will probably end up being a more stable relationship.)

Probably, yeah. It's also an example of how marriage, as a cultural and social institution, is always changing. You just didn't get that sort of thing fifty years ago.

Which is my point (and that and the whatever marriage "means" to anyone person getting married might "mean" - if it means anything at all, goddamn functionalism - something completely different to another individual. Even if these individuals are the bride and groom.) Thus its stooopid to argue "OMG GAY MARRIAGE TO DESTROY OUR SOCIETY!!1111112" and so on.

And we like that because...?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #279 on: November 21, 2008, 11:31:10 AM »

And we like that because...?

you've been here how long? Tongue

I know I've contributed to this one - but yeah -
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #280 on: November 21, 2008, 11:36:01 AM »

Oh, come on. The CARL HAYDEN content is still a minority of the posts, and I think we're getting some good discussion in the rest.

polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #281 on: November 21, 2008, 11:38:23 AM »

Oh, come on. The CARL HAYDEN content is still a minority of the posts, and I think we're getting some good discussion in the rest.

I agree to a certain extent.

Discussion is fine, just as long as no conclusion is expected.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #282 on: November 21, 2008, 11:43:11 AM »

I don't expect anyone to say "oh, you're right." I'm just glad I have an opportunity to talk about the issue in depth and deal with some complex arguments instead of just "it's wrong" and "equality now." It's an issue a lot of people have thought about at a basic level, but not one where different policies and implications have really been hashed out.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #283 on: November 21, 2008, 11:45:26 AM »

I don't expect anyone to say "oh, you're right." I'm just glad I have an opportunity to talk about the issue in depth and deal with some complex arguments instead of just "it's wrong" and "equality now." It's an issue a lot of people have thought about at a basic level, but not one where different policies and implications have really been hashed out.

Right, good deal.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #284 on: November 21, 2008, 12:44:52 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2008, 12:46:55 PM by Alcon »

First, what "extra benefits" do you assume would accrue to people with marriages versus civil unions?

If the governmental differentiation is so trivial, why not leave it up to the people and the churches?  Why have the government intervene and force cultural values when it doesn't need to?

Second, those engage in attacks on the rights of others to disagree, are loonies and hurt their own self-professed cause.

Good thing no one here has done that, that I've seen.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #285 on: November 21, 2008, 12:52:39 PM »

obviously, I didn't start lying on the first day of my life, but I inherited a sinful nature that predisposed me to sin. 

No, you didn't. You were born free of sin.

I might not have sinned while I was an infant, but that doesn't mean I wasn't born ingrained with a sinful nature:

Psa 51:5 "Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me."

So, then, we can conclude that we were born with a sinful nature, but we don't sin as infants (as you stated)...but at some point in our early lives, the sinful nature awakens and we become condemned:

Rom 7:9 "Sin sprang to life and I died"

Jmfcst, what you fail to realize is that nobody here cares.

He's answering a question someone asked. Quit being such a jerk.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #286 on: November 21, 2008, 01:13:04 PM »

have everyone get civil unions and allow churches full authority in defining what 'marriage' is
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #287 on: November 21, 2008, 05:53:42 PM »

obviously, I didn't start lying on the first day of my life, but I inherited a sinful nature that predisposed me to sin. 

No, you didn't. You were born free of sin.

I might not have sinned while I was an infant, but that doesn't mean I wasn't born ingrained with a sinful nature:

Psa 51:5 "Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me."

So, then, we can conclude that we were born with a sinful nature, but we don't sin as infants (as you stated)...but at some point in our early lives, the sinful nature awakens and we become condemned:

Rom 7:9 "Sin sprang to life and I died"

Jmfcst, what you fail to realize is that nobody here cares.

I do, actually. Smiley

But I categorically reject original sin, so it's not a big deal.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #288 on: November 22, 2008, 02:33:07 PM »

have everyone get civil unions and allow churches full authority in defining what 'marriage' is

dude, the whole purpose of this is to silence the churches and the word of God.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #289 on: November 22, 2008, 02:37:42 PM »

Hahaha you are so clueless. This is about rights you douche. Nobody could give a fcuk what churches think.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #290 on: November 22, 2008, 02:42:10 PM »

Hahaha you are so clueless. This is about rights you douche. Nobody could give a fcuk what churches think.

in that case:  none of the founders of the federal or state constitutions would have imagined same-sex marriages under the governments they established...so you're inventing "rights" out of thin air.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #291 on: November 22, 2008, 02:58:47 PM »

in that case:  none of the founders of the federal or state constitutions would have imagined same-sex marriages under the governments they established...so you're inventing "rights" out of thin air.

They would never have imagined women voting or people driving cars and the laws that this would have to entail. What's your point?
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #292 on: November 22, 2008, 03:04:48 PM »

This thread's getting intense.

As for me, I am fully supportive of Civil Unions/ Gay marriage and the like. There's no such thing as the 'sanctity' of marriage anymore, if there ever was...
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #293 on: November 22, 2008, 05:29:11 PM »

They would never have imagined women voting or people driving cars and the laws that this would have to entail. What's your point?

that's why the constitution as amended and laws passed by the congress and state legislatures.

Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #294 on: November 23, 2008, 07:08:31 PM »

Since gay marriage is banned, it only makes sense that fat people shouldn't marry either.

Argument 1:

Fat sex is just as gross as gay sex.

Argument 2:

Fat people will have fat children. It will ruin society.

Argument 3:

It will work out in the long run since it will motivate them to lose weight.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #295 on: November 24, 2008, 07:36:57 AM »

Since gay marriage is banned, it only makes sense that fat people shouldn't marry either.

Argument 1:

Fat sex is just as gross as gay sex.

Argument 2:

Fat people will have fat children. It will ruin society.

Argument 3:

It will work out in the long run since it will motivate them to lose weight.

You win the thread.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #296 on: November 24, 2008, 09:12:57 AM »

Umm.

First, the Constitution of the United States was amended to provide for female suffrage, rather than having the courts just decide they wanted to do it.

Second, technology is not written into the law.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #297 on: November 24, 2008, 11:00:40 AM »

Rights are invented out of "thin air". We're talking about civil rights pertaining to gays, the rights granted by the state.

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #298 on: November 24, 2008, 12:27:08 PM »
« Edited: November 24, 2008, 12:28:46 PM by Verily »

Rights are invented out of "thin air". We're talking about civil rights pertaining to gays, the rights granted by the state.

A right that they already have in the form of  Civil Unions.

Separate but equal?

It's not acknowledged as a right unless it's acknowledged as the same right.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #299 on: November 24, 2008, 12:27:34 PM »

A right that they already have in the form of  Civil Unions.

In like five states.

I don't think any gay marriage proponents are arguing for gay marriage or nothing.  I'd prefer gay marriage because I think it's essentially "separate but equal" and I don't care for that.  I'd much prefer the state out of marriage, which I think would probably make both of us happy, but that's not happening.

But I think you can understand why some people see "separate but equal" status as a coded insult.

(and kind of reminds us of other historical "separate but equal" cases that I still don't see much of a distinction between)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 20  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies